What breed is Zoe? update!!

• Gold Top Dog

akyramoto82

spiritdogs

I'm thinking BC/Catahoula.  If you look at the Catahoula's merle patterns, they look a lot like your dog.  They are more common in the south, so if she came from there, better chance.  I don't really think she's an Aussie, as they are longer coated, and there would be a 3 out of 4 probability of producing long coated puppies in a mating between a long coated dog and short coated dog.  As someone stated before, ACD's are ticked, not merled, but BC's often have some ticking on their paws.  So, I stand by the guess, especially if she isn't as herdy as one would expect from a BC/Aussie mix.  Also, consider the possibility that her other parent is a mix, too.  That broadens the choices, and it also means that other breeds might have come in to play.

she came from northern California. She is VERY herdy, lol I don't know what she is, I kinda gave up, she's my zoey buggle head thats it LOL.

she could get the Merle marking from the BC side too. :)

someday I'll do another DNA test on her and see what comes back

she's very tenacious attitude wise. so that makes me still think ACD.

You may be right on the ACD part.  I think I may have been looking at the wrong photo lol.  Anyway, merle BC's exist but are relatively rare, and now that you tell me she's a California dog, I think she probably isn't Catahoula.  So that leaves the BC/ACD mix, which is likelier, especially if she's from a rural or semi-rural area where there are sheep or cattle operations.  She has the workin' dog look, not the show dog look.

• Gold Top Dog

spiritdogs

....  Anyway, merle BC's exist but are relatively rare, .....

I find this amusing. There are at least 5 merle BC's that attend agility shows here in central Indiana.  I know, from looking for breeders of BC's, that they are rare, but I see several around here.  I guess it helps that one family alone has 3 of them.  (They also have like, 8 BC's so that's saying something too)

• Gold Top Dog

She reminds me a lot of my mystery dog, Trooper. We were told he was a Great Dane/Blue Heeler (they also said he would be 100 lbs... they were quite off the mark as he's only 62 lbs and fully grown!)

I've heard husky, BC, heeler, pit bull, beagle, Catahoula, and many others. I've always been curious as to what he really is, but I'm relatively sure he hasn't even a touch of Great Dane in him!

She's a cutie, I hope you have fun with her!

• Gold Top Dog

She's still tiny! at about 9months now she weighs 27lbs. do you think she's gonna get bigger??? LOL

I need to teach her agility, that dog can jump like nobodies business!! she can bounce and peer over a 6' fence!! ( praying she doesn't learn how to plant those front feet on the top of the fence!)

so I'm thinking ACD/BC/Kangaroo

• Gold Top Dog

Many BC's are in the 30 pound range.  ;)

Tasha can jump a 36" gate from a sit.  She is the master escaper, but only because she's on one side of the fence and I'm on the other. Hmm  She is the reason I got into agility, though she's not my star.  She learned, on her own, to jump onto a propane tank and leap the 4 foot chain link fence at our old property.  At the current, she just jumps the 3 foot fence.   But at least she doesn't run away, she just kennels herself in the xpen I have at the agility field. Silly mutt.

• Gold Top Dog

On the kelpie forum I'm on, there's a puppy that looks EXACTLY like Zoe.  She's a BC/Kelpie mix. Same markings and everything.

• Gold Top Dog

oranges81

On the kelpie forum I'm on, there's a puppy that looks EXACTLY like Zoe.  She's a BC/Kelpie mix. Same markings and everything.

OOOOh do you have a link or a pic???

Zoe, May 2010, I think she's even lankier now! She's totally all leg & pretty long body wise for how short she is

Looking more BC to me, look how long her nose is now LOL ( 8/2010)

• Gold Top Dog

I was checking out craigslist this evening, look what I found!!

this dog def looks like it could be one of Zoey's littermates!!

they have her listed as a 10mo old catahoula

• Gold Top Dog

akyramoto82

I was checking out craigslist this evening, look what I found!!

this dog def looks like it could be one of Zoey's littermates!!

they have her listed as a 10mo old catahoula

That's most certainly NOT a Catahoula. Zoey IMO doesn't look anything like a Cat either, except for her color. Have you ever seen a Cat in person?

Zoey looks to me like an Aussie/ACD mix or maybe a BC/ACD. Or a multigeneration mix of several herding breeds. Could even be a Corgi mix in her background, as after the first generation they don't always produce dwarves. Color can be tricky with mixes because some breeds carry colors that never occur when they are only bred to other dogs of their breed. A good example is Goldens bred to non-Goldens often produce black offspring.

I wouldn't say merle is "rare" in BCs but it isn't common either. It is pretty rare to find merle BCs from working lines and most working BC people find merles to be undesirable. However, you see a lot of it in performance BCs (agility/flyball) because many sport BC breeders select for the "odder" colors.

• Gold Top Dog

I just thought it was really funny they have her listed as a cat and she looks nothing like one!!

I'm still leaning on ACD/BC

• Gold Top Dog

akyramoto82

oranges81

OOOOh do you have a link or a pic???

Lemme take a look and see if I can find the link.

ETA: Here it is!! Inca

• Gold Top Dog
    She seems pretty lean and lanky for an ACD cross, but maybe if she has enough BC in her... If she were over here I'd say Kelpie cross. Her body shape looks like a Kelpie. They are lean little buggers.
    • Gold Top Dog

Skidboot was an ACD cross and was very leggy. 

http://www.skidboot.com/

• Gold Top Dog

I've found Kelpie's are pretty popular in N.A. Not as popular as a BC but getting up there.  

• Gold Top Dog

I got on a kelpie group and everyone said she was not kelpie due to her coloring.