What breed is Zoe? update!!

• Gold Top Dog

the catahoula's are more 'houndy' looking. I think there is a big part of her that is BC. I'm still thinking that there might be heeler in her too, but not much.

Gizmo looks like a BC/pit to me LOL. chow/setter/wolfhound is def wrong!! LOL which test did you do? I read alot of posts about how inaccurate these things can be. But I already thought she might have BC in her due to her body shape. Even last night I was sitting on the couch looking at her tail hair - it's starting to fan out and get long like a BC.

• Puppy

Hi, my name is Kirstin. My dog Tucker is and australian shepherd lab mix. He's on my homepage. He looks just like her.

• Gold Top Dog

klwhitehead

Hi, my name is Kirstin. My dog Tucker is and australian shepherd lab mix. He's on my homepage. He looks just like her.

I disagree. Zoe has upright ears and her muzzle is more pointy than a labs. I think BC x is more accurate.

• Gold Top Dog
    Tucker is a cutie and so unique looking! I, however, have to agree that although his markings are very similar, the structure of his head and body are more blocky and ear placement have more of the lab features then what Zoe has. He also looks much larger in size. I really don't see any lab in Zoe but then again I've seen some mixes that you would have never guess had that in their background.

Zoe's color could be from an aussie or cattle dog, I suggest catahoula simply because of the coat pattern and not the shape. I'm sure I'm leaving some others breeds out that have similar marbling. I guess what has me confused with zoe is that she is still a puppy and she needs to mature a little more to see what she develops into. She may or may not have some growth spouts even at the age she is now, Gizmo had a few that surprised me.

First vet I took gizmo to told me she was so small and had a rounded head that he was sure she was a chihuahua mix... She's now 45lbs, a rather large chihuahua if you ask me.
    (BTW, this is my favorite pic of Gizmo, it was the day she found me and the guy who took this pic was a neighbor who died in a car crash a few years later)
    • Gold Top Dog

Gizmo's body structure looks a lot like my Tasha.  No idea what Tasha is for sure, but very similar to Zoe in color and "look" at that age. :)

There are times when I see BC, ACD and Aussie in her.  She is not as high drive as these breeds typically are, however she is a very soft dog so my initial attempts with training may be the reason for that.  :(  She is definitely a "control everything" kind of dog.  Her face is too narrow and long for ACD but not fine enough for BC.  My guess is Aussie mix but her coat is shorter like a smooth BC or ACD.  Her grey has small black spots but is not ticked througout.

• Gold Top Dog

Sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread with Gizmo but wow, they do have similar body structure.  Could it be the BC in both of them? I sometimes think ACD but the body is a little longer? Think Zoe might be the same mix?  Can't waite to see more pics of here when she's older. 

tashakota

Gizmo's body structure looks a lot like my Tasha.  No idea what Tasha is for sure, but very similar to Zoe in color and "look" at that age. :)

• Gold Top Dog

I think Gizmo has some Bc in him

I also think Zoey looks ALOT like Tasha

It seems like as she gets older she looks more & more like BC. Her tail is really fanning out now. She's still small in size but weighs 28lbs.

another BC characteristic she has is her face/nose is getting longer, it's not so boxy like it was when she was younger.

this is the most recent pic of her. In the future I would like to do another DNA test, as Heeler was not in the database of the one I used.

• Gold Top Dog

Her head looks very ACDish now, especially in the picture of her laying on the chair.

• Gold Top Dog

that's what I thought too, Agile

• Gold Top Dog

First off, she is a beautiful dog and I love her markings! I own an ACD/BC x and although he has a similar body structure, I don't think that her fur or markings is consistent with that mix (although it could vary). I think that her markings look like those of an Aussie mixed with a Border Collie, maybe with some ACD thrown in from the head structure (or just a thick BC's head structure)? Heck, who cares, she's cute :)

• Gold Top Dog

I'm thinking BC/Catahoula.  If you look at the Catahoula's merle patterns, they look a lot like your dog.  They are more common in the south, so if she came from there, better chance.  I don't really think she's an Aussie, as they are longer coated, and there would be a 3 out of 4 probability of producing long coated puppies in a mating between a long coated dog and short coated dog.  As someone stated before, ACD's are ticked, not merled, but BC's often have some ticking on their paws.  So, I stand by the guess, especially if she isn't as herdy as one would expect from a BC/Aussie mix.  Also, consider the possibility that her other parent is a mix, too.  That broadens the choices, and it also means that other breeds might have come in to play.

• Gold Top Dog

spiritdogs

I'm thinking BC/Catahoula.  If you look at the Catahoula's merle patterns, they look a lot like your dog.  They are more common in the south, so if she came from there, better chance.  I don't really think she's an Aussie, as they are longer coated, and there would be a 3 out of 4 probability of producing long coated puppies in a mating between a long coated dog and short coated dog.  As someone stated before, ACD's are ticked, not merled, but BC's often have some ticking on their paws.  So, I stand by the guess, especially if she isn't as herdy as one would expect from a BC/Aussie mix.  Also, consider the possibility that her other parent is a mix, too.  That broadens the choices, and it also means that other breeds might have come in to play.

she came from northern California. She is VERY herdy, lol I don't know what she is, I kinda gave up, she's my zoey buggle head thats it LOL.

she could get the Merle marking from the BC side too. :)

someday I'll do another DNA test on her and see what comes back

she's very tenacious attitude wise. so that makes me still think ACD.

• Gold Top Dog

tiffy

This is ex-BFs, 10 year old Blue Heeler x, Dingo:

I like how Tootsie is utterly unamused :p

We don't have Dingos here though, so I'd guess that the dog was ACD mixed with something else

• Puppy

Hi, I have 2 ACD's and while Zoe does have a similar body shape to one, it's the taller lankier one.  But when looking at the photos, I immediately thought BC cross.  I run flyball and one of the other families has a smooth coat BC.  It you look at body shape alone and ignore color, the BC and my ACD look identical.  The hair is different but the BC has more 'herd drive' than my ACD does.  Go figure that.  I would bet Zoe's a blue merle BC mixed with something else, could be a bit ACD.  Will be interesting to see how she grows out.

• Gold Top Dog

grab01

I like how Tootsie is utterly unamused :p

Thats my girl!