Jack Russell Terriers - love 'em or hate 'em?

• Gold Top Dog

Jack Russell Terriers - love 'em or hate 'em?

I just LOVE them since we acquired our miniature JRT Gemma (Little Gem).  We've been won over by her mischievous and intelligent ways and the unconditional love she shows to us.  She also loves EVERYTHING in the world - other dogs, people, children, animals, you name it!  Yes

Most other people we meet are also in love with their own particular JRT but we do come across a few who regret getting one. 

Have you ever had one and what is your view on the breed?

• Gold Top Dog
    Love them! Dottie is half JRT and she's an incredible dog. Drive, courage, intelligence, a wacky sense of humor, attentive to her people, always up for something new and challenging. Couldn't ask for a better dog!
    • Gold Top Dog

I love the breed.  Twister is nine years old and he taught me more about dog training than any previous dog I've owned or trained and that's a lot of dogs.  I don't think the breed is for everyone and many end up in shelters because people don't understand the terrier temperment. 

• Gold Top Dog

I like the breed. Don't love'em and don't hate 'em. I wouldn't have one either. THey are even more intense than minpins, and I've had a minpin now almost 14 years and he's still over the top, intense, prey driven, wild man (but wicked smart).  I'm just not a terrier person.

JRT's are sure cute tho!

• Gold Top Dog

I've never had one before, and I'm not too crazy about terriers. However, a friend's neighbor has one and she's sweet, just too hyper for my taste. I'm more into playful dogs that are also laid back.

• Gold Top Dog
    My mom has an 8yrs old JRT and my gramma has a 10yrs old JRT. I think they are great little dogs, too high energy and too high of a prey drive for my liking though. Those two JRTs would do anything to kill a snake, squirrel, cat, frog etc. However I do love that when I go to my moms house, Boomer (my moms JRT) eats all the huge spiders in the house, so I like him LOL
    • Gold Top Dog

. I adore my Emma Nems, but I don't plan to ever own another. She is too much dog for me, and I am too soft of a handler for her. I do much, much better with the soft, toy breeds. She is NOT remotely hyper, but she is pushy and drivey and requires enough that she wears me completely out

• Bronze

I think they are fine dogs but would probably never own one. Not the type of personality I prefer in a dog.

• Gold Top Dog

Well, we have one in our family, my cousin's dog, Sophie.  And, she's a great girl.  Then I've met another in our neighborhood that has actually tried to attack Willow not once, but twice.  So, I haven't really met enough to know what they are really like.  The one on Frasier was adorable. . .

• Gold Top Dog

I love the breed!  We have friends who have them & I adore their dogs.  That being said, I don't think that the breed is right for me, & I doubt that I would go out looking for a JRT.

• Gold Top Dog

Cute dogs, but I'd never own one because they're a) terriers, b) way to active and c) terriers. I much prefer my laid back and "0" prey drive corgi, whos only goal in life is to be touched.

• Gold Top Dog

I have worked with several at our shelter (we seem to have many in the area). ALL of them are high drive, BUSY bodies! They are smart little dogs and will run the household if given the chance. We have had a few that are cat aggressive, which is not surprising considering they  are terriers. I am a terrier person and can say I will not ever own one, but think they are great little dogs for the RIGHT person. They need tons of exercise and stimulation.

• Gold Top Dog

jennie_c_d

. I adore my Emma Nems, but I don't plan to ever own another. She is too much dog for me, and I am too soft of a handler for her. I do much, much better with the soft, toy breeds. She is NOT remotely hyper, but she is pushy and drivey and requires enough that she wears me completely out

Jennie, you took the words right out of my mouth about Gobie the minpin! I'd venture to say they're extremely similar.  For as little as both breeds are, they are too much dog for me as well LOL.

• Gold Top Dog

I like them, but they are not the dog for me at all. I think they got a lot of spunk and in the right hands are fantastic dogs.

• Gold Top Dog
    I love my Reggie and wouldn't trade him for the world but I don't know that I would ever get another one.  Reggie is nothing like a typical JRT.  I would never consider him hyper, even when he was young.  He is a real couch potato, content to be wherever I am.  The only thing I would change about him is his never ending quest to find and kill snakes!