Fox Terriers?

• Bronze

Fox Terriers?

Hello -

I have been trying to meet this 16.9 lb. Fox Terrier at an animal shelter for the last three weeks. He turned out to have kennel cough the past two weeks and I am finally getting close to where I think I will get to meet him out of his cage in the next couple of days.

I thought he might be a Parsons Russell Terrier or a mix, but they say Fox Terrier.

They say he came in as a happy stray and he was with a family for a while who found him. The family said he was good with their kids and other dogs. 

Of course he has that little devilish and characteristic look in his eye that I like in a terrier and he maintained eye contact with me when I petted him through the bars of his cage. I got a little kiss on the hand. While all the other little dogs were barking their heads off, he didn't say a word.

The box on his description card that says "cuddly" was not marked, but that's ok. My last dog was a terrier/hound mix and he was affectionate, but not necessarily "cuddly."  I read somewhere that they can be kind of aloof and then somewhere else they like to be handled a lot.

Anyway, my last dog was hard to train in terms of "sit, stay, and come when called."  He would eventually come around, but he had a mind of his own a lot. I just knew I would never be able to totally rely on him to do what I asked. It was part of his breeding somehow. I had him for 16 years and figured this out finally after two.

I've been reading about the Fox Terrier breed and I like that they are active in that I could probably take one for a 2 mile walk or a hike.

So, if any of you own a Foxy or even a JRT, are they all hard to obedience train to where you can let them off a leash at a dog park possibly? Do they do well at agility and that does that possibly make them more obedient in general?

Do they like a lot of toys to play with or do they chew things around your house? I am home most of the day and don't have a yard, but he will get a good walk and some smaller walks every day to go out. 

I have read different things about them being good or not good with other dogs and kids.  However, this one seems like he would be good around other dogs from what I read. And he has that scruffy little bearded look that my other dog had. So I am not so sure if he is a full smooth Fox Terrier. They seem to have very short hair around the face from what I have seen so far online.

Thanks for any info. 

Cat

• Gold Top Dog

Much of what you see in a shelter environment is not the dog's true personality.  Just something to keep in mind.  As for some of the things you have read and heard, lots of the info out there is general in nature.  Dog are all unique, even terriers. lol  

Terriers in general are prone to dog aggression. This is not something that can't be managed but it is something to be aware of before you adopt.  I wouldn't take a terrier to a dog park ever or allow off leash anywhere until you have a 110% recall.  Terriers are mostly high prey drive which means the training must overcome their basic desire to run and catch and kill small animals.  They are good with children if socialized and trained how to act around children.  The children also need to be trained how to act approriately around dogs, of course.  Terriers are often quick to correct, using their teeth. 

Terriers are not hard to train but they, like many independent breeds, have personalities that require us to adjust our training to fit their traits.   As for liking toys and whether they will chew things around the house.... Some dogs that were never exposed to toys as young dogs never learn to play with them.  It's not determined by breed so much as by their early socialization and experiences.  Any dog has the capacity to chew inapproriately.  It's up to the owner to redirect chewing on the leather shoe to a nylabone or a bully stick or toy.

Clicker training is a great way to train a terrier, in my opinion.  They are smart and quick dogs who usually pick up on it easily.  The links below might be helpful for you.  Please let us know if you get this little guy. 

http://community.dog.com/forums/t/99726.aspx

http://www.clickertraining.com/

• Bronze

Hi Jackie -

Just as I got your message, I was reading on clicker training and looking into Karen Pryor's books. 

Secretly I would like a larger dog, but can't really have one where I live in an apartment. But oh, well. Smaller dogs have their advantages too. A friend of mine has this adorable little 15 year-old Jack Russell girl and I could see falling in love with a small dog as well.

I was also reading that some Foxys can be enterted into companion dog obedience trials, so I guess it depends on how much effort one wants to put into the training. I am willing to put a lot of effort into making sure he is happy and safe.

Thanks! I'll let you know if I get him. I hope to see him today. 

Cat

• Bronze

I got the dog!!!  I went through a thorough vetting process at a no-kill shelter and I am picking him up Wednesday. It turns out he is part Wire Haired Fox Terrier and Parson's Jack Russell Terrier. My first impression was that he was more of a mix. I really don't know how they can tell what exact combo of terriers he is.

He's been described as a little bit of a devil (which I could tell by looking at him.) The people who took him for a couple of days said he got into their trash and had a tendency to wander off - because it was more of a game to him to figure out how to get out of somewhere. 

He's only a year old and I am going to start working with him right away. They say he loves everyone and has no fear.

I know I need to make it clear that I'm the boss, which I can do without making him nervous. They said he really cowers to any negative tone of discipline at all and they think he was abused. He's also afraid of doorways, so you need to let him go first for some reason. He's not really leash trained either. 

I am taking him to a level one obedience class around Nov. 16th taught by someone who has a great philosophy and is an animal behaviorist. 

I'm a little worried that he still has a bit of kennel cough that he's had for almost three weeks now. This is one of the reasons why my adoption process has taken so long. I'm  not sure what to think of this.

I am hoping he gets over it faster once he is out of there. They are sending me home with more meds and just told me to keep away from other dogs, etc.

I will update again when I get him settled in here and upload a picture.

Oh, and they definitely asked me if I would be sure and provide him with enough chew toys. So I think he's going to be a little chewey and they said he was learning to play ball while there.

Thanks again for your insight!

Cat

• Gold Top Dog

Congrats on your new dog!  We require pictures ASAP. lol  Terriers are absolutely one of my favorite breeds.  It's great you are taking a class with him. My experience with my JRT changed my thinking on dog training in many ways.  I highly recommend a book called Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson. 

BTW, I think he's lucky the people who returned him were so uninformed.  Getting into the trash and wandering off are completely normal dog behaviors.  We are the ones with the big brains and we have to teach the dog and manage the environment to protect our dogs while teaching them what behavior gets them what they want.  It's not as hard as some people believe.  It's harder to give up our thinking that dogs somehow understand our rules without fully teaching them how to get along in our wacky human world.

• Gold Top Dog
    Google 'NILIF' - it is a great confidence builder for dogs who are a little nervous. My terrier is very similar, he does not take correction well, at all.

My guy is rarely off leash, if we're outside. I've worked and worked on recall, but I still don't trust him 100%, especially if he gets spooked by something.

The JRT's (and terriers in general) that I've met are not always great 'dog park' dogs. Mine would much rather romp with one or two buddies, rather than an entire group of rude, pushy dogs. He really prefers to be out walking and exploring with us more than anything.

Kennel cough is not too bad, kind of like a human cold. Sometimes it lingers, sometimes it clears up in a few days. It is VERY contagious though! I hope the little guy feels better soon.

As for chew toys, my dog LOVES his Cuz balls. They are a rubber ball with a squeaker inside, and they come in a nice size for little dog mouths. We have Good Cuz, Bad Cuz, and Elephant Cuz. You may also want to purchase earplugs. [http://www.dog.com/item/cuz-dog-toy/101415/]

[http://www.dog.com/item/jw-pet-dog-gnaw-it-teether/310870/] looks interesting too.

Santa is bringing one of these, if my dogs are good ;) [http://www.dog.com/item/skinneeez-plush-dog-toy/490513/]

Terriers also do well with puzzle toys, like Kongs (a little too easy in my dog's opinion). The Kong Stuff-A-Ball is good for feeding little kibbles out of. Busy Buddy makes a LOT of puzzle toys, like the Twist-And-Treat and Squirrel Dude.

• Gold Top Dog

My daughter owns a Fox Terrier.  She loves other dogs and loves children.  She is obedience trained except that she will run off if she is taken off leash outside.  Actually she ran out the door.  So now they would never take the leash off outside in an open area.  That is about the only bad thing.  She doesn't chew.  She is an all around great dog with an abundance of energy.  Good luck with yours.  Oh, working at a shelter, I know that kennel cough can hang on for awhile.