Common Breeds Seen in Service Dogs

• Gold Top Dog

There was a seizure alert Chihuahua a family had for their little 2 year old girl who was blind and had CP as I recall.  Sadly the little dog was attacked and killed in his yard by a loose dog that came into their yard.  He was the little girls main link to the world and the family was devastated. :`(

• Gold Top Dog

timsdat

TexasDaisy
    Other Aussies may be different, but had anyone attempted to train my Bandit to help out around the house, he would probably end up turning the lights on & off or opening/shutting cabinets all day for self-amusement. We taught him to carry dirty socks to the hamper....but being an over-achiever, he also sneaks clean ones  out of the sock drawer or brings you dirty ones again out of the hamper just so he can take them out of your hand & return them to the laundry room.

Herding dogs can be like that.  If once is good that more than once is even better.

Of course, the added benefit of having a Herder SD is that they are so darn smart they can learn to do just about anything, short of growing opposable thumbs.  But, many are not suitable because they are so busy.

I've seen many good MUTT service dogs.  Some prison programs are training them and saving their lives at the same time:-)) 

• Gold Top Dog

Before he passed, I was training my Rottie, Shadow to help me with disabled hubby.  This was not formal training, the things we needed help with at the house.  He was excellant at opening doors, helping Hubby out of the chair or couch, taking dirty clothes to the laundy room etc.... He was good at working in the yard, would carry limbs and twigs to the mulch bed.  He was so quick to pick up on new things and loved to work.  I am hoping Rocky will be as easy to train.   He is a Newf mix.  Am starting with small fun things now but is still too much of a puppy to really see how he is going to do.

• Gold Top Dog

shadowsgin
    taking dirty clothes to the laundy room

Come train my dogs to do this please!! haha! Shadow sounds amazing!!

• Gold Top Dog

Thank you, he was an amazing boy.   He just loved it, thought it was a game.  He would always get praise, big hugs etc....

He enjoyed praise more that treats which was better on the pocket book too.

• Gold Top Dog
    • Gold Top Dog
    AuroraLove

American Pit Bull Terrier was one of the first service dogs for Hellen Keller, they were her favorite breed.....

Whoa, I didnt know that. Pretty cool.

• Gold Top Dog

here in town, the service dogs I've seen have been a Labrador, a Doberman, a shepherd mix, and, my favorite, a tiny toy Poodle. I don't know what sort of service dog the last was..he or she was with an elderly owner. The little badge on the vest was nearly as large as the dog.  But he/she was all business...quite adorable. 

• Gold Top Dog

spiritdogs
    Of course, the added benefit of having a Herder SD is that they are so darn smart they can learn to do just about anything, short of growing opposable thumbs.  But, many are not suitable because they are so busy.

I've seen many good MUTT service dogs.  Some prison programs are training them and saving their lives at the same time:-)) 

Herding breeds with proper temperaments make excellent service dogs, they should have an off switch, "work ethic" and be serious about their job.

I have seen some places have some success with mixes in work - most dogs can be trained as hearing dogs. For other service work from what I have heard through service dog trainers, it is hard to find mixes who have all the proper temperament traits and are healthy. Even among the common purebreds choosen for the work, there is a large number that don't make it due to temperament or health issues. It is a really demanding job and is nothing against shelter dogs or mixes (some orgs even purposely breed mixes for the work) and most average pet dogs would not be suited for it.

• Gold Top Dog

One of the most spectacular SDs I know is a dalmatian - not what you would think of for a 'traditional' service dog, but he's absolutely amazing. ONce you get into owner-trained dogs, though, a lot of breed choice is influenced by an individual's preferences and prejudices. Mal is washing out of SD training for lack of work ethic, but I'm evaluating his sister Kaylee- that's why she's coming to visit.

One of the New England hearing dog orgs has used Cardis for hearing dogs. ADOT here in DFW uses mostly Goldens and greyhounds- the greyhounds make excellent balance dogs since they're tall, heavy enough to do counterbalnce work but not so large that they don't fit onto public transportation.

I know of Chihuahua SDs (mostly psychiatric, hearing or seizure alert dogs and to be fair, a significant number of those I don't think are 'real' SDs in that they are marginally task trained at best), a Boston Terrier SD (which strikes me as an awful idea, since they're intolerent to both cold AND heat). I have a training client who has a Belgian SHeepdog who is almost done with his training.

• Gold Top Dog

Pwca

One of the most spectacular AND heat). I have a training client who has a Belgian SHeepdog who is almost done with his training.

What is the Belgian's name? There are a few relatives of my dogs being trained as or working as service dogs :) Sorry to hear Mal washed out of training - good luck with his sister!

• Gold Top Dog

Sent you a PM.  

• Gold Top Dog

It all depends on what type of disability they're helping with.  I have a friend who has a boston terrier who is her seizure alert dog.  If it's a physical dysability then typically it's a more muscular dog (my boss adopted a yellow lab who 'failed' to make the cut as a CCI dog). 

They've had to get more broad simply because of health problems -- it takes years and thousands of dollars to make an assistance dog -- and if a health problem crops up at age 4-5 that's a lot of money and time GONE.