Help with breed type, please :)

• Gold Top Dog

Definitely agree with the Catahoula guessers.  We have SO many Catahoulas running around back home.  Almost all are actual working dogs though, and I really don't trust a one of them.  lol!  Had one almost bite me in the butt once.  Of course, I suppose he was doing his job and guarding his cattle and barn, but hey...  :)

What a cutie, though!  I adore the blue merle coats, and that nose to boot!

• Gold Top Dog

I don't really have any guesses, but just wanted to say that she is beautiful!

• Gold Top Dog

It's quite common to breed Catahoula with a herding dog (Aussie, BC) to increase the biddability - curs are otherwise a fairly independent, hard to handle type of herding dog.

There are some Hangin' Tree Cowdogs around here, too, and are rapidly increasing in popularity.  That's another herding cur type of somewhat recent development.

Longer coats are dominant, so if she had an Aussie parent, there would only be a one in four chance of a really short-coated dog, I think.

Long hair is recessive to short.  So because a rough coated dog has to be homogenous (carries two smooth coated genes) it depends on whether the short coated dog carried a long coated allele, on how likely you'd get a smooth (short) coat from a long to short (rough to smooth) mating.  You could have a fifty-fifty or only one in four as you said.

There's a Catahoula Aussie mix on our flyball team - very cool dog!  Tall and skinny, a little stubborn, and very wiggly!  :)  Blue merle tri. 

• Gold Top Dog

Looks just like my Catahoula Brooke almost exactly except for the coloring.  My Cat is small, greayhound like thin and amazingly intelligent.  See her below, she is only 38 pounds when lots of Catahoula's are more stocky but they come in all shapes and sizes.  The marbeling of their markings is pretty distinct.  And..  Brooke a very thin and short coat.  She was a recue from Katrina.

• Gold Top Dog

Catahoula and some hound dog too. That tail looks like a hound dog to me. Beautiful girl! :)

• Gold Top Dog

Wow what a beauty! My dad has a Cattie and looks a bit like her!