Considering Westies? Any advice?

• Gold Top Dog

Considering Westies? Any advice?

Well once again, another breed I'm interested in. Theres so many that catch my interest its crazy! Well I heard West highland White Terriers were good dogs and when I took a breed selector quiz they were a breed that got 100%. Can someone give me some basic information. Average weight, around kids, other dogs, health issues and all around how they are as pets. Thank you!

Pictures are always nice too :)

• Gold Top Dog

dogbreedinfo.com always has good answers about health, avg. stuff. That's where I go for my basic info!

I had a friend up north that had a westie, she was the SWEETEST thing ever. My neighbor (across the street) had one too - he was very barky at the fence, but sweet as pie once you were on the other side... could be kinda scary if you were not on his side!

• Gold Top Dog

Just remember that they are terriers and have terrier traits.

• Gold Top Dog
    timsdat

Just remember that they are terriers and have terrier traits.

Yeah, thats why I'm starting to lean more towards Collies. I have rodents at home too, so I'm not sure if a Terrier would work.
    • Silver

I had a Westie years ago, he was about 1 1/2 when my youngest son was born.  Never any aggression issues towards kids, or adults, though he did like to play "taste the baby", giving the kid a good face washing.  He was a typical rodent hunting terrier though.

Before we got him we had a yorkie, that was with us in an apartment the first couple of years.  We used to feed the squirrels, they became quite tame, and would come scurrying over when we came out with a big brown bag of peanuts.  The yorkie was around squirrels since he was 8 weeks old, I guess though he was some sort of squirrel, and the squirrels thought he was some sort of goofy looking squirrel as well.  He would walk among 8, 10, or more squirrels who were eating, nobody minding anyone else much.

I think if you get the dog as a pup, and it is raised and acclimated around rodents, they learn they are family members, not food to be chased.  My uncle had yorkies many years before, lived behind a corn field, and found them to be excellent ratters. He encouraged that litle trait, while we taught our pup that they were outdoor friends.

• Gold Top Dog
    Well, I have no real advice, but.....my boss was wearing a westie tie today and I asked him about them and he said he's had them for years and they are wonderful dogs. The chairman of my department has one too and says the same thing. My chairman actually has a framed picture of his on his desk (he doensn't even have a picture of his wife up lol)
    • Gold Top Dog

I have three Westies now and had another that went to Rainbow Bridge in 2006.  They are wonderful little dogs.  They are sweet, loyal, friendly, and love being members of the family.  I have a cat that was introduced when two of my Westies were already members of the family.  My Westies get along fine with Katza.  One of them like to chase her, but Katza usually instigates it.  I have a son that also has a Westie and has had his for almost nine years.  They now have two children, a two year old and a 9 month old.  As with any dog, the children are monitored with the dog and are taught how to treat animals.  I also babysit three grandchildren and follow the same policy.

We do have a lot of squirrels in our yard and my girls like to watch them and will even chase them through the yard if one is on the ground.  Thus far, they have not caught one yet.  

Westies usually get to be about 12 to 18 pounds.  They are sturdy little dogs and you can take them on hikes and do lots of outdoor things with them.  They love to play.  If I were on my other computer, I would send you some pictures of my girls.

• Bronze
    I'm probably a little late on this one, but I've got a Westie, and he's a wonderful dog. He is great with other dogs, and a very tough little guy. He barks a lot at other dogs he sees when he is at home, but is (maybe uncharacteristically for Westies?) very shy of other pets or people at first when he is outside of our house. He can be very stubborn! When we were still house training him, if he got mad at me for some reason, he would squat down and pee on the carpet while he was staring right at me! Very funny, now that he's stopped doing it. I love him, and would recommend Westies to anyone, although that I have been told by quite a few people that he is VERY laid back for a Westie. Hope this helps some :)