Question on Toy Poodles in the Ring?

• Gold Top Dog

Question on Toy Poodles in the Ring?

How come some Toy Poodles (when being shown) have hair all over there bodies and others have it just shaved so its over there joints. I know that the Joint shave was originally done to keep there joints warm but now I'm seeing the full body haired ones. Can someone help please, I'm very curious.
    • Gold Top Dog

I think puppies and dogs under a certain age are shown in "puppy trim" which would be more like a pet trim (hair all over, trimmed).  Once they are mature they are shown in one of the other trims. 

• Gold Top Dog
    Oh, that makes sense now that I think about it. The ones I always see with the puppy trims are well...puppies :)
    • Gold Top Dog

Just a little tirvia on those fancy clips Poodles have- believe it or not, they derived from back when Poodles where used for water retrieving.  The dogs were shaved down to make them more streamlined, but hair was left on the joints and over the organs to keep them warm.  Interesting, isn't it?

• Puppy
    The dogs with the hair all over have the puppy cut. This is for dogs under 8 months I believe. Once they are over 8 months thye must be shown in the continental clip or the english saddle....I beleive there are a very variations of clips, but they are no longer allowed to be shown in the puppy clip. Talk about work.
    • Gold Top Dog

Puppy or sporting clip is allowed in AKC on pups/adults in other non comp clases. The sporting clips is lovely. UKC allows ALL sizes of Poodle to be shown in ANY clip including Sporting. Also...the Standard Poodle is in the GUNDOG Group in UKC. Wink

• Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles
    ...Also...the Standard Poodle is in the GUNDOG Group in UKC. Wink

Well, Standards were originally used for hunting, so it makes sense to me.  Smile  While we're talking Poodle coats, has anybody seen one with a corded coat?  Right after I finished reading an old obedience book that had corded Poodles in it, one came into my vet.  This was about 11 years ago when I was working there.  I like the corded look on a Poodle.  Evidently, it's acceptable in AKC, just not common.