What breed is this

• Gold Top Dog

What breed is this

Bought as a Jack Russell.  When you have stopped laughing, tell me:  Do you reckon it could be a lancashire heeler?  Not an expert on the breed, so not sure, but it was my first thought.  What do you think?

[IMG]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/Chuffy020/04-06-05Walt.jpg[/IMG]

• Gold Top Dog

I don't see why it couldn't be...lol.

• Gold Top Dog

anything  but a JRT!

• Gold Top Dog
    Lancashire heelers were recreated by breeding Pembroke Corgis x Manchester Terriers. The ones I've et have considerably ore hair than this pupper. 9Look at Indy's photo, he's still sleek, but he's got more depth to his coat.) I would not be surprised if this was a JRT x Pem though, maybe with some min-pin thrown in there.
    • Gold Top Dog

Maybe he is a cross.... maybe his mum was a smooth JRT and a heeler got to her .... I don't think the breeders were all that knowledgeable.  It is possible they may not have realised that the dam was still receptive to dogs after being mated!  From what I can make out, he was the only black/tan pup in the litter.  Possible....

Aparently a lady who has seen him and thinks he is one is the president of one of the LH breed clubs, but I thought like you Pwca - that his coat might be too short and smooth.

• Gold Top Dog

Looks like it could be a cross between a JRT and (not sure what the breed name is, so bare w/ me) a miniture doberman.  I know, I know, their not called that, but I also call Shelties miniture collies.  LOL Embarrassed

• Gold Top Dog

You cant see it well in the pic, but I dont think he has the proportions of the min pin (I think thats the breed you mean)  His legs are kinda short and stumpy and his back is a little long..... think corgi or bassett although perhaps not quite so pronounced.  He certainly doesn't look out of proportion.  He is actually a wonderful little dog and very handsome.

He seems to have some herding traits in him.... again why I thought the heeler migt be in there somewhere.  He can be so focused, so intense.... His favourite game is catching stuff that you flick in the air or across the room and he is so FAST, he never misses.  And if you dont throw it again he watches and waits patiently.... never takes his eyes away.  He reminds me (mannerisms, personality) of some of the purebred collies I have known.

• Gold Top Dog

A lot of BYB/PM min pins have WEIRD proportions- coarse bone, shorter legs, longer backs- and the fact that he's nearly solid makes me think that one of his parents had very little white. PWC x MP would make sense for the colors, the smoother coat, etc. I don't think he's got any heeler in there, but remember that Corgis are also herding dogs- and some of them can be pretty intense.

• Gold Top Dog

Can you post a pic of the dog standing?  Hard to tell, but I have Rat Terriers, which come in the Type A with long, slender legs and the Teddy Roosevelt RT Type B which has the shorter legs, but the black & tan coloring is common in RT's as they have min pin and manchester terrier both in their ancestry.  They can have erect or button ears like my two RT's.  But your dog's torso looks a bit longer than an RT's torso, in this seated pic.  Maybe a RT/Dachsie mix?  Muzzle looks a little larger/longer than an RT, more like a dachshund muzzle to me (I used to raise dachshies).  And of course the black & tan coloring is common in dachsies.

• Gold Top Dog

This is the best pic I have of him standing.  Sorry its a bit blurred.

• Gold Top Dog

did you buy him from a byb (hobby/pet breeder) or from someone who breeds working hunting terriers? many of those breeders believe firmly in a bit of hybrid vigor..... i am a member of another forum JUST for working/hunt dogs... they could probably set you straight on some things..

• Gold Top Dog
    Hes not mine! Sheesh, if someone tried to sell me a black and tan jrt i'd laugh at them!!  No, I know the owner but dont know where he came from
    • Gold Top Dog

wow...I see lots of MinPin in that pic!

• Gold Top Dog

Hey looky...he can be a Kemmer Feist...how similar huh?

http://dogbreedinfo.com/kemmerfeist.htm

• Gold Top Dog

Chuffy
    Hes not mine! Sheesh, if someone tried to sell me a black and tan jrt i'd laugh at them!!  No, I know the owner but dont know where he came from

lol sorry i had a brainfart i think... i didnt even see you as the OP! the whole time i was thinking you were a new member.. i REALLY need to pay more attention next time!! sorry about that, and yes i would have laughed my butt off too at a black and tan JRT Indifferent