Any Basenji Owners/Handlers/Knowledgers Out There?

• Gold Top Dog

Any Basenji Owners/Handlers/Knowledgers Out There?

Been doing my research on them and really like the breed. Was wondering if anyone wants to tell me about the GOODS of the breed. All I keep hearing are the downs but I theres gotta be some goods! Post pictures if you can!

Thanks!
    • Gold Top Dog
    You might want to PM agilebasenji, she is owned by 3 of them, I think.
    • Gold Top Dog
    You might want to PM agilebasenji, she is owned by 3 of them, I think.

2.5 actually. Zpuppy is only 8 months old so she doesn't count as a "whole" basenji. Actually she's more of a handful than the other two put together.

Bkimura, the 'goods' are the same as the bad. They keep you on your toes, they are very clever and you have to continually outsmart them, they have a quirky sense of humor that may or may not match yours. They won't love you and do what you want just because you are the human and you said so. They are a challenge, very primitive in their thinking/behavior. They won't sit there and stare at you adoringly. If you want them to work hard, you have to work harder. It's closer to an equal partnership than what I've had with other dogs. Other goods: They are clean, elegant, no doggy odor, and just gorgeous! I love the way they feel like sleek warm seals and find their singing melodious. (Truth be told, the howling is rather like bagpipes, you either love it or hate it. no in between.)

I'd be happy to send pics tomorrow when I'm back on my own computer.

Let me know if you have any specific questions on the breed. I've had one underfoot since 90. (Has it been that long?) And have trained my two current adults to advanced level agility titles. The are also certified/active therapy dogs, conformation ch's, etc. And I just hate to have to brag about them (yea right!).
    • Gold Top Dog
    As requested, here are some pics of the basenjis I share my life with:

• Gold Top Dog
    and Zpuppy

• Gold Top Dog
    And if Zpuppy's head shot doesn't tell you what the "goods" of the breed are, nothing will.[;)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: agilebasenji

And if Zpuppy's head shot doesn't tell you what the "goods" of the breed are, nothing will.[;)]

haha. Oh it most DEF does! There all gorgeous. Love the coloring on all of them and those big eyes just melted my heart!
    • Gold Top Dog
    All your dogs are gorgeous, but I think I'm in love with your tri.[:)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    All your dogs are gorgeous, but I think I'm in love with your tri.

You know he's the one I call tri-ing, don't you?  Conformationally he's a really nice basenji, the brindle is more elegant.  But tri-ing has a gorgeous head.  And he's a funny dog.  Makes me laugh everyday.

• Gold Top Dog
    But tri-ing has a gorgeous head. And he's a funny dog. Makes me laugh everyday.

So now that's three things I love about him!  You know I'm a head person otherwise I wouldn't be in sighthounds at all [;)].  And funny...that's one reason I know that sighthounds are little clowns, each and every one.  (I just looked over a couple of minutes ago and Xerk was under the covers, on his back with all 4 legs holding the comforter up like a tent....and his head was hanging completely off the bed-upside down.)  If basenjis are as funny as PHs, then alot of our stories will sound similar!

One day...One day I'll be brave enough and secure enough in my ego to have a basenji and a saluki. Until that day comes, I'll continue to torture myself with PHs.[:)]
    • Gold Top Dog

ORIGINAL: Xerxes

But tri-ing has a gorgeous head. And he's a funny dog. Makes me laugh everyday.

So now that's three things I love about him!  You know I'm a head person otherwise I wouldn't be in sighthounds at all [;)].  And funny...that's one reason I know that sighthounds are little clowns, each and every one.  (I just looked over a couple of minutes ago and Xerk was under the covers, on his back with all 4 legs holding the comforter up like a tent....and his head was hanging completely off the bed-upside down.)  If basenjis are as funny as PHs, then alot of our stories will sound similar!

One day...One day I'll be brave enough and secure enough in my ego to have a basenji and a saluki. Until that day comes, I'll continue to torture myself with PHs.[:)]

PHs are gorgeous dogs too! Post some pics of your babies too if you can.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Agile:  I just have to say I love your dogs.  They are so beautiful and look like real characters.  I love that picture of your brindle running through the snow with his (her?) chistmas collar on.  Do you do agility with all your dogs? 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Agile: I just have to say I love your dogs. They are so beautiful and look like real characters. I love that picture of your brindle running through the snow with his (her?) chistmas collar on. Do you do agility with all your dogs?

Thank you.  I have done agility with both boys - the brindle and the tri.  Tri is semi-retired because he just gets silly in the ring.  He's healthy and sound and runs courses at home, but I got tried of paying 30 bucks a pop for him to be silly.  So he's retired.  I may decide to enter him one day somewhere.  He has his AX/AXJ titles and is 9.5 years.  The brindle boy is 10.5 years, still does agility and has been invited to the Invitational (where the top 5 dogs of each breed are invited), but we're not going this year.  We did go last year which was the first year they held the Invitational.  Both boyz are conformation Ch's and the brindle also has his AKC field CH, so he's a dual champion.

The r/w is only a couple of days shy of her 8 month birthday, so she hasn't started yet.  But I'm really excited about doing agility with her.  I just wish I'd known 1/2 as much when I started with my brindle boy!  She's got so much enthusiasm for it.  If I can teach her to come and focus and don't screw her up, she's going to amaze some people. [;)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    You know I'm a head person otherwise I wouldn't be in sighthounds at all .

Well tri-ing is a head case. 

Here's a show pic of the brindle boy, just to show he really does have a nice topline.  (The snow pic of him is a crappy topline, but he was cold there, so we'll forgive it.)  These pics were years ago when he was about 1 or 2.

• Silver
    check out basenjiforums.com its a good site to talk to people who know a lot about basenjis