i agree with a beagle....and not just because i have one[;)

they are great family dogs. my beagle absolutly LOVES kids, kids and other dogs she just cant get enough of. beagles are also good because they have relatively few health problems, and are a low maintenance dogs. they dont shed a ton, they dont stink, well i mean it is a hound, they will roll in poo if given the opportunity. but rarely does my dog smell. she is laid back in the house and quite lazy, but get her outside for a walk and she can go forever!

the downside to a beagle i would say is training it. they are incredibly intelligent, but along with that, incredibly stubborn. she was my first dog, and it took us forever to get her housetrained, solidly...about 8 months (this might be different if you are more experienced, but ive heard they are just hard to train......?) also we worked and worked with her other normal commands, she got those easily, but didnt readily do them all the time, but it seemed that when she hit 2 years old, all the training came into play, and really shes quite well behaved now.

beagles are just so damn lovable, and man are they expressive! they are silly and goofy and michevious. i love them.

also i would look into staffordshire bull terriers. from what ive read/heard they are excellent with kids and great family dogs.