do you all think this is a mix???

• Gold Top Dog
    I emailed them and asked. They said he acted lke a GSD, but he didn't have a GSD gait and he carried his tail above his back. He's still friggin' cute!

I suppose that's an acceptable explanation.  The GSD gait is pretty recognizable and unique.  I wonder where he got those ears...
    • Gold Top Dog
    He looks like a cattle dog mix. Voila. Big ears. Nice looking dog.

On the sideways ears - do you mean like this?

This is probably the most common earset in working BCs. It's probably pretty common in conformation dogs but they tape them (resulting in a really horrifying look), so you'd never know, really. They think that there's multiple genes that control the look of the ears, in addition to factors like diet, jaw muscle development, and even the type of exercise the dog gets as he's developing.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: brookcove

He looks like a cattle dog mix. Voila. Big ears. Nice looking dog.

That's what I was going to say. He doesn't look pure Shepherd, but rather like a Cattle Dog mix with his stance and head. The assistant in my obedience classes has one and he stands exactly like that and his head is exactly like that. Maybe he's a German Shepherd/Cattle Dog mix. He is too small as well to be pure Shepherd.

Shiva
    • Gold Top Dog
    I think the breed misidentification is common in p;aces everywhere. Someone brought in a dog to the vet clinic I work at, that they'd just gotten at the local shelter. First it was listed as a Peke, then a cavalier king charles spaniel (it was red and white). The dog was quite obviously a Japanese Chin[8|]  ...a very recognizable Japanese Chin. And just the other day I went into grooming to get two dogs that needed vaccinations. I just grabbed one from the cage, and we spent a good 5 minutes trying to judge from the chart who was who, as both were listed as Poms..one was some sort of Yorkie/something fuzzy mix..and the other I have no idea...red and white and not at all pom-like....think a rat terrer with longer hair. Baffling
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm scoffing and scoffing *scoff*scoff* at that...probably a pure German Shepherd, definetly no Terrier...maybe a little Labrador, though... Judging by the sleekness of the hair, maybe Labrador...or Cattle Dog.