Anyone care to guess about my shelter dog's mix?

• Gold Top Dog
    I'm with Gina. Everything from the shape of his head, the way he sits and even the look in his eye says there's Dane in there somewhare to me.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm inclined to say boxer/hound   and just an all around cutie!
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm terrible at guessing these, but just wanted to say he sure has an expressive face. How can you say no to him?
    • Gold Top Dog
    Definetly pit bull...can't figure out the other breed, though. Maybe Rhodesian Ridgeback or Labrador Retriever.
    • Puppy
    Oh he is VERY handsome!
    I have just joined, I am in a similar situation with a rescue dog. Dixie has some of the same characteristics as your pup, the ears, the nose, the little droop thingie in the lip (which I adore)... we know for sure she is a pit/lab mix, but she I swear must be part greyhound, she runs like the wind and is always after some little critter (squirrels gophers etc). Hard to tell with the rescue dogs, as I think they try to avoid using the word "pit" in the resume. 
    BTW she also weighs 65 pounds. They said she is 2 years old but I think she is younger than that as she is pretty squirrely.... Anyway my official guess on your dog is Golden Lab/Pit mix.

• Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: rwbeagles
    Boxer was a good guess...they have their tails removed so who knows what's at the tip in that pattern?

I do. Jill is a Boxer cross Kelpie and she's got a white-tipped tail. As I've seen a lot of Kelpies and not a one with any colour but the base colour on the tail, I'm going with white-tipped Boxer tail. It's also incredibly long, much longer than a Kelpie tail. I have seen a few Boxers with their tails intact and I believe white tips do occur. I haven't seen enough to say whether it's common or not, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover it was common.

Also, Jill has a similar build to this boy. Her chest looks VERY similar. She's a lot smaller due to the Kelpie, though. I'd agree with the giant breed and I could buy Dane, but I could also buy Boxer.
    • Puppy
    I know this is an old thread, but the dog looks like a Black Mouth Cur/Border Collie cross, with a 1/4 APBT.  My friend has one that looks exactly like this dog and that's what his is.  

Definately not a Kelpie cross.