Small breeds suitable to live with large breeds

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Beejou
    T-Bone is the least confrontational dog I've ever met. He;ll take any amount of crap off of any other dog, but part of this might be that he's still young.

And is he currently intact?  You may see his attitudes change as he matures, so this "he can take any crap" can change.  Gracie used to be the eaaaasiest going dog, but exposed to enough intolerable behavior, she is less tolerant.  (thanks Henry - who, btw, is the smallest dog in our house at about 40lbs, he's the biggest bully)

Beejou
    if I do adopt/buy a Dobe, it will definitly be female, the same a Bull Terrier would then.

Having experience with both Dobes and Bull Terriers, I would agree with definitely no males.  Every Bull Terrier I know is DA save for one, but that doesn't make it a rule (since three of the ones I know are related, lol).  If you live in an apartment, or close to your neighbors, try another breed.  These guys can be incessant barkers, and don't give a crap if you tell them to zip it.  Extremely exuberant applies to just about everything they do - play and barking alike.  Fast and smart and powerful and funny - I love them very much.

I'd be looking at a medium Lab mix, unless you're looking to do some specific sport/activity with the dog (and I missed it, I'm sorry! Cool)

• Bronze
    Chaos is super affectionate.  And she is very often found laying with the kids, or glued to one of the other dogs.  They are independant in their thinking, basically if its not something she feels she needs to do, odds are it won't get done.  They are also very hyper, so they need lots to do and lots to think about.  They are not dogs I would recomend to a first time owner.  But they are very loving and very loyal, and mine seems to have no problem wearing out the big dogs.
    • Gold Top Dog

I kind of understand about the corgis. My last dog was a corgi and sometimes we weren't good for each other.

My partner wanted to get another corgi, but I really didn't want to. Instead we got a Swedish Vallhund. At first I thought it would be like getting a corgi, but not. Instead I've found that my Vall is not really comparable to the corgis I've known. He is a hardcore little dude. He plays slamming, kamakaze wrestling games with my Lapphund. He's a lot more dog than my corgi was. He has heaps of drive and throws himself into everything he does. He is a lot more confident and outspoken, despite being a bit of an alpha wannabe. I can't take him for granted the way I tended to take my corgi for granted. He lets me know when he doesn't approve. He is very attached to his family, whereas my corgi was a one person dog. He is very intelligent and needs lots of mental stimulation, but he's a great office buddy. Just sleeps behind my chair during the day. He's currently sleeping on my legs. He gives the most amazing cuddles. It presses all my maternal buttons and I can totally forget that he's a dog and not a child. Dangerous! Nothing gets done when he is in a cuddly mood. He is full on. He picks the biggest dogs in the dog park to chase and doesn't mind when they knock him over. He just gets back up again. He's sturdy, strong, and tough as nails. Very easy to train and so smart! He's like an ACD in a smaller body.

Here he is trying to wrestle my Lapphund to the ground. He usually wins! Regularly crash-tackles Kivi and sends him sprawling. He goes down as well and loves it.