Surprisingly my rescue dog is 10

• Bronze

Surprisingly my rescue dog is 10

I took in a dog from a lady who said he was 2 ..... the vet says he is 10+ long story short his teeth were green and falling out we got him vet care right away he had a massive ear infection,24 teeth pulled and is a very picky eater and skittish but we love him so much, has anyone ever had a Swiss hound in the USA and any suggestions for keeping him to live the longest possible 

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I have never had a Swiss hound but I just wanted to express my excitement and appreciation for your situation. I am so happy to hear that you and your dog are living such a happy life. Thank you for taking a chance on your dog. So many aren't willing to do the same thing that you did.  Give him a great big hug from me! :)

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Hi, the best thing is just take care of him the best you can, if he is that old then small walks see how he does, hounds love the woods even if you don't go far I'm sure he would love to walk there. I'm sure now that his teeth are taken care of he must feel so much better. That can be a painful thing living with that. His skittishness my get better the more time he spends with you, have strangers he meets for the fist time just take it slow as not to overwhelm him.. A little bit of exercise and good food, of course lots of love. Would love to see more pics and keep us posted.

• Gold Top Dog

It doesn't matter what breed a dog is as far as helping them stay healthy and live a long life. Good food, exercise and veterinary care are going to help. I hope you have many more years with your hound. So nice of you to adopt a senior dog.

There's a really good book for people who adopt dogs. It's Patricia McConnell's book Love Has No Age Limit. Lots of good advice from one of the world's best behaviorists.