Harley's Obedience Adventures

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Harley's Obedience Adventures

Last night was Harley Quinn's 2nd Obedience class! As soon as we came close to the building where lessons are held, I could see my little girl light up with excitement. 

In our first week, Harley learned the correct way to sit and lunge.  But it wasn’t just a learning experience for her. I learned the correct tone of voice and way to administer commands and corrections. She pranced proudly around the room intently and listened for her next command. 

This week we learned the correct way to heal. There were a few times where she (and I ) got a little frustrated, but with some patience (and lots of praise) we learned a lot!

At only 9 months old, Harley is the youngest dog in the class, but she is getting along with the best of them.  Plus, these classes have been such a great way to socialize her with not only other dogs but people as well!  The picture above is from last night class. PLEASE do not mind my hair! I promise it looked a little better than that, but it turns out that working your dog is hard work!  

Has anyone else put their dog through obedience classes? Share your tips and experience with me! :) 

• Gold Top Dog

I always look like a hot mess when I'm training! hahahaha! So no worries...

Keep up the good work! I look forward to every training class. If I could afford it and had childcare for the girls I would totally be in multiple different classes each week to learn/improve skills or sports.

Lillian has gone through Puppy Kindergarten (received the AKC STAR Puppy Award) then Graduate Puppy and she's currently in a CGC/TDI class she is ready to pass all the tests so we are going to take them all one by one after one another very soon CGC, CGCA, and a therapy test based on where we want to work.

The best tips is not to get discouraged. Lilly is such a little rock star I see fellow classmates get discouraged so I try to just be a positive voice and praise them and their dog when it's there turn because every dog is a super star in my eyes!!! Never compare yourself to other people. Ever.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Thank you for the great advice and congratulations on all of Lillian's accomplishments! I hope that someday Harley can get to that level, but it all takes time I supposed! I am also glad I am not the only one who looks completely disheveled at training! lol

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Kaitlin you both are doing so well! I'm so proud of you both. I totally agree Jesdamom, don't compare yourself or worry what you look like, dogs follow a calm leader they don't care if you are rich or poor, if you are dressed up or dressed down, just be a good confident leader. You both are awesome! Keep up the good work.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Thanks Michele! I think the biggest think I have to work on is making she I know that I have to be stern with her. So many times I want baby her or feel bad for being a tough mom. But in my defense, LOOK AT HER! That face is just so hard to correct sometimes. :)

• Gold Top Dog

She does have an adorable face ( but I may be partial to black and tan dogs). We adopted Jessie R.I.P. from the shelter when she about a year old and started basic obedience classes; she was the best in her class too. We enjoyed training her and went through advanced obedience, then taught her how to track, and also some tricks for the grandchildren.  It sounds like Harley and you are doing great; keep up the good work! You will love her even more as you discover how much potential she has.

• Gold Top Dog

My husband and I always say our next Sheltie (when we are ready to add a second dog to the home) will be a Tri color Sheltie (black, tan, white). I agree I adore the colors!!!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Thank you for the support! Jessie sounded like a great and hard working dog! And I love those colors too! I think growing up around Dobermans made me partial to any black and tan dog!