Prayer and good vibes for my sick Yorkie!

• Puppy

Prayer and good vibes for my sick Yorkie!

I'd like to request prayers for my 10 year old Yorkie, Brandy. She was diagnosed with pancreatitis and is in a lot of pain. She is on antibiotics to help get the inflammation down and on prescription dog food as well. Brandy means the world to me and is loved by so many people. I rescued her 9 years ago and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. She has brought me so much joy. I pray that she is healed and will live a long, healthy and happy life with me. I truly believe in the power of prayer and I know it is especially powerful when many people pull together to pray. Thank you so much!
    • Gold Top Dog

You got it.   Sending healthy vibes for Brandy  and hugs for you. 

We are a bit slower than usual to reply.  We have quite got this new forum down.  Please know that lots of prayers are coming your way

• Gold Top Dog

I'm so sorry your sweet girl is going through this. Jessie has had chronic pancreatitis for more than four years, so I know what you're going through. It takes time for the pancreas to heal, but if you keep her on the low fat prescription food the vet recommended she should be fine. You said she's in pain; didn't your vet prescribe something for it? They recover quicker if the pain is controlled. I will keep brandy in my prayers; please let us know how she's doing. P.S,; Jessie was a rescue too.

• Puppy

Thank you, shadowsgin! Your prayers and good vibes are much appreciated!

Thank you, Jessie's Mom! Brandy's vet gave her metronidazole for the pancreas inflammation. Unfortunately, Brandy had a bad reaction to it. She became uncoordinated and stumbled around when she tried to walk. It was if she was drunk. Her vet told me to stop the metronidazole and he gave her an antihistamine shot (her throat, upon vet examination, was swollen). He said it could take a few day and in some instances 1-2 weeks for dogs to recover from the side effects of metronidazole. I will bring her back next Thursday fir a reassessment. So on top of the pancreatitis, she also has to deal with not being able to walk right. I can tell that she is very frustrated. On the bright side, she is eating and drinking well, her temperature is normal and no vomiting or diarrhea. Thank you so much for your prayers! I truly appreciate it!

What do you feed Jessie? I'm thinking about maybe just putting Brandy on a raw food diet or boiled chicken breast & veggies made at home instead of commercial dog food. What are your thoughts?

• Gold Top Dog

Metronidazole isn't a pain medication. My vet gave Jessie something specifically for pain when she was on IV fluids, and I gave her Tramadol when she came home. But if Brandy is eating well, she probably isn't in pain. I'm so glad she's stablizing.

Whatever diet you feed needs to be low fat. Raw diets are not any more digestible than cooked food and are usually too high in fat for a dog with pancreatitis. For example, dogs on raw diets are often fed bones for calcium, but the marrow in bones has a lot of fat. Please do not believe what you read on the internet on how to feed dogs, whether they're sick or healthy. There's so much misinformation from "experts".  Raw meat often has salmonella or e-coli and I personally do not think a dog with a compromised immune system (like a dog with pancreatitis) should be exposed to pathogens in their food. You always read about the terrible ingredients in prescription diets. Jessie was on a low fat food with very good ingredients ( Blue Buffalo Basics Healthy Weight Turkey and Potato) for several months. Her stools were good and her energy level seemed okay (she's going to be 15 next month) but she had occasional mild flare ups of her pancreatitis where she didn't want to eat. I had blood work done several times which didn't show any specific reasons for her not eating. Finally I had a gastro-intestinal workup done last month at Purdue Veterinary Small Animal Hospital which didn't show anything other than perhaps mild intestinal inflammation.  I kept trying to get her to eat the Blue Buffalo but she would refuse it or only eat part of her meals. Finally, I began slowly changing her to Hill's i/d. She eats all of the i/d and has more energy that she ever had on the Blue Buffalo; it's like she's a younger dog. Prescription foods are regulated by the FDA and the companies must show proof that the food is effective in treating the condition it's formulated for before the food can be sold. If you're going to change Brandy's food again, please do it very slowly and after she's been stable for several weeks or she may relapse. These dogs must be handled with kid gloves. You need to ensure a raw or cooked diet is balanced. UC Davis has nutritionists that can formulate a balanced diet for Brandy. I had Monica Segal formulate more than one cooked diet for Jessie over the years;

http://www.monicasegal.com/

She will formulate raw diets for dogs with pancreatitis but prefers cooked diets for the reason I mentioned above. She will work with your vet if you want her to. The forward to her book Optimal Nutrition was written by Dr. Anna Hill, who is a professor of small animal nutrition at Ohio State University.

Joining this forum may be helpful to you;

dogpancreatitis - Yahoo! Groups

I learned a lot just by reading the threads without posting anything.