My Dad ( Update & Picture )

• Gold Top Dog

My Dad ( Update & Picture )

Thursday my dad had a mini stroke.  He was fine that morning he went to the doctors got a flu shot he came home and he looked tired so we told him go to bed of course he doesn't listen but he said he was hungry so my mom made him eggs. My younger sister came over with the kids and my dad sat at the kitchen table and kept putting his head down we told him go to bed so he did I told him lock the door so the baby doesn't open it and Miley come out he did. About 5 minutes later I hear him calling for my mom so she opens the door and says what? He then says what happened? My mom said what are you talking about what happened? He says it again so we go in and start talking to him and he just keeps saying what happened.

So my dad just says what happened and finally I say something to him and he looks at me and says what happened so I say dad are you lying because when he said what happened it looked like he wanted to laugh, my dad loves to joke around so we say you don't remember getting a flu shot he says no when did I get one we ask you don't remember going to the doctors he said I didn't go to the doctors, my sister says you don't remember me coming over he says no.  I tell my mom take him to the hospital. He gets to the hospital and he's repeating himself asking what happened. 

This happened to him about 3-4 years ago but the last time only lasted about 45 minutes and he kept repeating I ate a muffin. This time it lasted about 3 hours and the stupid ER doctor let him go home while he was still confused and dazed ER doctors first thought he was having a mini stroke but then said no he's getting dementia slowly my father came home still confused with an awful headache face beet red. My mom called his primary to get him in there the primary doctor told my mom take him back to the hospital and when you get there make sure that ER doctor calls me.

My mom takes him back and she said the lady at the window gave her a hard time for bringing him back. My father is doing better he's in the hospital their taking tons of test, I'm not to sure if this is connected but he went to the ER last week his side and back were hurting ER said his kidneys were only working 80% his primary on Thursday said his kidneys were dried and now he had that mini stroke. 

Scary when it happens because he just keeps repeating himself over and over again and then knowing my father he jokes to much at first it's like ok dad are you joking for is it real. When my mom said the ER doctor said he's getting dementia I just cried and thought omg he's not going to remember any of us he won't remember our stupid little fights I don't want to see my dad that way. I also don't want him to keep having mini strokes I'm sure eventually a bigger one will come.

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers thank you

• Gold Top Dog

Having your parents "age" in front of your eyes is so difficult. 

I will **surely** keep your Dad in my thots and prayers.  That isn't uncommon with a stroke -- either something they see, or think of at that moment somehow translates into a repetitive phrase.  I'm so glad your Mom listened to you and took him TO the hospital. 

My folks are 1500 miles away but I talk to them every day, and I have a service that allows me to log right in to my Dad's computer so I can help them with things more easily.  But honestly?  My ulterior motive is it keeps me **closer** to Papa -- I can gauge his condition FAR better that way (I'll be on the phone with him while he's doing something on the computer I see in front of me so it REALLY helps).  My Mom tends to be far more difficult to deal with but Dad's health is far more fragile. 

Something I've gotten my folks to do -- they each have a "list" of the medicines they are each taking, PLUS their doctor's phone number, mine, and each other's name as contact.  I've reduced it small enough so they can each keep it in their wallet, so if one of them has to go to the hospital no one has to remember what they take, it's written down.  It's worked well for them in the past.  Depending on how comfortable my Dad is at the time either he does it on his computer and I get a copy or I just do it for them.  He's made the changes himself the past several years.  But I think it gives all of us a bit of extra "comfort zone" and my Dad, in particular, is on a ton of heart medicine.

• Gold Top Dog

Prayers for you DAd.

• Gold Top Dog

((( hugs ))) I'll keep your dad in my prayers.

• Gold Top Dog

I hope your Dad is on a good road to recovery. And, kudos to your Mom for calling his primary doctor when things didn't seem right after the ER visit. Hugs for you and lots of prayers for your Dad.

A tip from personal experience: It might be good to have the ambulance take him to the hospital if this happens again. He'll likely get seen much more quickly--they won't stick him in the waiting room and tell him to wait, and the paramedics will have data to give to the ER staff (heart monitoring, etc.). The paramedics will get him right in to the ER--no waiting room waiting.

• Gold Top Dog

FrisbyPI

A tip from personal experience: It might be good to have the ambulance take him to the hospital if this happens again. He'll likely get seen much more quickly--they won't stick him in the waiting room and tell him to wait, and the paramedics will have data to give to the ER staff (heart monitoring, etc.). The paramedics will get him right in to the ER--no waiting room waiting.

Yes, I was going to say this as well.

So frustrating when the ER doc misses something.  I have had to insist on a test a few times, and once that a different doctor redo the exam.  In this case, from past history you (I mean that in the plural, all of you) suspected a stroke.  And dementia does not come on suddenly like that!  Been living w/ my Dad with it for 12 years.  

So glad the PCP insisted and got your dad in for tests and care.  Prayers from RI for healing for your Dad and peace for you and all your family at this time.

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks he came home today and already he's back to wanting to do things he just doesn't know when to stop.  They actually seen my father quickly he has a heart condition so they usually take him back quickly but to release him while he's still not remembering and then when his primary told my mom to take him back the front desk lady giving an attitude she actually told my mother why did you call his primary.

LMAO the ER wanted his primary to do a follow up and refer him to a neurologist. My dad did have a mini stroke also he needs to go back to his heart doctor because the doctor at the hospital said he's heart isn't pumping correctly he has a pace maker and defibulator. So it will be doctors after doctors for awhile. Plus it's almost time to change his batteries.

Thank you for the prayers Here's a picture of my dad waiting for his release papers my dad is 71 Smile

• Gold Top Dog

Hi Dad! Glad you are home and feeling better!

Don't know if this applies to your Dad, does he exercise at all?  Our local YMCA has a special program for folks who need some help/ guidance.  My Dad is in it and works with a personal trainer 3 times a week.  For one hour, he does 20 minutes each upper body, lower body and cardio.  It really has helped him so much.  Dad's insurance gives him a "Silver Sneakers" membership, which is no charge.  And once you have membership, this program is free!  They have stroke, heart, and dementia folks in the program, as well as older folks who just need a little help getting in and out of the machines, or setting the machines.  Several MS patients come in regularly to this program as well.  And wheel chair bound folks are also in the program.  I can't say enough about this program.

Of course, your Dad needs to do his follow up with his cadiologist and so on FIRST.  Just an idea to consider; may or may work for you.

• Gold Top Dog

So glad to read that your dad is doing a little better. It sounds like he's got several serious medical issues, so hopefully his doctor(s) can coordinate all the care he needs. My dad also had at least one mini-stroke, so I know how frightening it can be. I'll keep your dad in my thoughts and prayers.

• Gold Top Dog

My dad is a hard head he doesn't listen at all. Oh he won't join a gym or anything like that he has to be by my moms side incase he misses something LOL Wish he would just sit back and relax but he won't. He seems a lot better today. Yes he has a few medical issues going in 97 he had a major heartattack the hospital actually brought him back to life, it happened on April fools day so when my mom called everyone we say yea right April fools.

His heart doctor actually uses his case in speeches when he goes to seminars and he says people always ask is he still living.

Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts

• Gold Top Dog

Hope your Dad is feeling better today.  Good healing vibes headed your way.

• Gold Top Dog

Glad to hear your Dad is home and hoping he feels better each day.  What a scare.  ER visits can be frustrating, that's for sure.  Sometimes you do have to speak up about something, even if the staff get a bit perturbed!  Better to be safe than sorry and not get sent home without proper medical attention.

A few years ago, my mother's former boss and his wife were at a barbecue, and the wife starting acting odd, talking in a spaced-out way.  They left the party and she went to bed.  She was still not right the next day.  Luckily, someone told them to get her to the ER, where they found she'd had a mild stroke. 

Sending best wishes to your Dad!