Taking an aggressive dog to the vet

• Gold Top Dog

boredpuppy08
    I NEVER let anyone take my animal out of my sight - ever.

If I didn't trust the vet or the staff that much- I would find another vet.

• Gold Top Dog

boredpuppy08
     I NEVER let anyone take my animal out of my sight - ever. Did it once, never again. If a vet won't let you stay for a surgery my thoughts are, "What are they hiding?" I have walked out of clinics in the past when they refused to let me observe.

It's not that they have things to 'hide'. But there are policies they must abide by. If there is a medical emergency (say your pets heart stops beating in the middle of surgery) the last thing the vet has time to do is push you out of his way to help the dog. Owners honestly get in the way, more than they help. There are also matters of insurance to think of - the last thing the vet wants is a lawsuit on their hands.

Yes - you must feel comfortable with your vet and their techs, but you also have to think reasonably about things. I have no problem with my vet taking my pets in the back to shave or get blood if they feel things are easier that way. Chances are, your vet is not going to take your dog out back - beat him with a hammer to get blood - and bring him back to you....

When I tried to shave my cat when he injured his tail - he flipped out and really tried to shred me. So I took him to the vet. I wished them luck, and they took my kitty to the back to shave him. They had no issues - he laid down and did not struggle one bit. I am a trained vet tech, I am not nervous around my animals - but my cat felt more 'at ease' with me out of the room - and I am completely 100% OK with that!

• Gold Top Dog

erica1989

boredpuppy08
     I NEVER let anyone take my animal out of my sight - ever. Did it once, never again. If a vet won't let you stay for a surgery my thoughts are, "What are they hiding?" I have walked out of clinics in the past when they refused to let me observe.

It's not that they have things to 'hide'. But there are policies they must abide by. If there is a medical emergency (say your pets heart stops beating in the middle of surgery) the last thing the vet has time to do is push you out of his way to help the dog. Owners honestly get in the way, more than they help. There are also matters of insurance to think of - the last thing the vet wants is a lawsuit on their hands.

I don't want to argue - but 'get in the way' My Foot! That attitude is extremely condecending and I have no doubt if everyone in your clinic thinks as you do I would not patronise your clinic. I've been in that situation - animal in surgery, heart stops, dog died. Didn't interfere one bit just stood in the doorway and prayed silently. I have been blatantly outright lied to by vets on what they did or did not do medically to my animal. Not saying all vets will do this, but it DOES happen(no pain medicine, lied to my face that they gave it after major surgery, didn't enter the body cavity during surgery - they did causing death of the animal I could go on). Plus, physical injury isn't the 'worst' thing that can happen - what I'm worried about. I think someone touched on it earlier, abuse that leaves no markes except for emotional and could potentially make my aggressive but reasonable dog much MUCH worse.

Vets and vet techs are human - NO ONE knows a person's animal better than they do, and as far as I'm concerned the only 'liability' refusing to allow a pet owner in to a surgery is one of not allowing pet owners to find out about serious abuses or mistakes.

• Gold Top Dog

I have to say again if I was feeling like that would happen I'd find another vet.   I wouldn't want someone that I thought could do something like that, either abuse my dog or lie to me touching my animal whether I was standing there or not. 

• Gold Top Dog

Agreed - if you don't trust your vet enough to know that they and their staff won't do something hideous when out of sight, they aren't a good match for you.  I trust my vet and her staff a TON after seeng their behavior over several visits.  Yes, I will speak up as needed, but I'm not going to insist on being in a staff only area just so I can keep an eye on them.

• Gold Top Dog

I never insist on being in a staff only area either.  But then, if something terrible like that had happened to me, I doubt I would be so relaxed about it, regardless of how good the clinic was.  Once bitten twice shy and all that.

It's a great idea to get the dog acclimated to the muzzle.  Make sure she wears it and associates it with something good BEFORE going to the vet, otherwise she may well think "muzzle=vet=horrible=argh!" and it will be hard to reverse that.

You can minimise her stress by waiting with her outside and not bringing her in until absolutely necessary - the whole place stinks of illness and fear and the longer she has to wait in the waiting room, the more worked up she is likely be before she even gets into the surgery Smile

Mostly, just stay calm.  It's the best thing you can do. 

• Gold Top Dog

willowchow

Willow's got this really pretty muzzle called a Happy Muzzle, it's red with daisies on it.  They have other designs too. 

Lori--Murphy has a Happy Muzzle too! It's the blue one and it's so funny to see Mr Serious in a Happy Muzzle. Cracks me up. I just call it his "Happy" now. 

Murphy isn't a run-at-you kind of dog so the vet staff know to be cautious. His folder has "Caution" written all over it. I do all of the initial work with him there. I weigh him and I put a paper collar around if need be. The staff is great about it. And if kids are around--especially the naughty ones--then we wait in the car, just to be safe. I can't take any chances with a fear biter. And I remind everyone, everytime, in my own happy voice. "Oh, Murphy's my biter dog, and he will bite" (aka Biterman, and yes, he has cape he wears when it's cold in the winter). "No petting or getting near us." He doesn't wear his muzzle in and he doesn't wear it into the examination room. I just have it. And the vet and techs and I can talk with him sitting next to me, on a shorter leash, like Willow. They stay behind the examination counter, so we have a barrier and not wearing his Happy keeps him calmer. So far it's been working but I'm very diligent and I come home wiped out. Anyway, when they get set to examine him, then I put on the Happy and away we go.

Like Willow, he's become used to it. He doesn't love it, but it sure makes me feel better. And Murphy is better when I'm not around, but it's useful for me to be around during the exam because unless they're drawing blood or things like that, I can pick up on what they're seeing. (Murphy has major OA issues, and mainly goes to his newer holistic vet, who he really likes, as much as Murphy can like anyone aside from me, that is. And I can glean so much from her when I am able to watch what she's doing, so I like to be around. Surgery, needles? Nah. But my holistic vet? Oh yes.)

At this point, I've backed off the alarmist deal (it's been awhile since he bit somebody) and I use my mouth. I use it with kids, strangers, vet offices, etc. But, I keep the Happy with me just in case. That and his Gentle Leader. That does help. Oh, and his favorite treats. Always.

• Gold Top Dog

Starting the muzzle training is GREAT! I know it's been said, but I'll say it, again. Emma has a leather basket muzzle that she wears to the vet's, and she only wears it when she's ON the table. Trial and error. She does best, that way.

I stay with her, even for surgeries and emergencies, because the staff cannot gently remove her from a kennel, even sedated. She has SA, and is extremely "kennel shy" (meaning you'll pull out a bloody stump where your hand was). She's specialWink My other dog? I leave, routinely. No problem. I know they wouldn't cause her harm, and she's a good little girl, so she stays if she even needs an exam on a day I'm working. She thinks it's fun, LOL. 

• Gold Top Dog

never mind

• Gold Top Dog

willowchow

I have to say again if I was feeling like that would happen I'd find another vet.   I wouldn't want someone that I thought could do something like that, either abuse my dog or lie to me touching my animal whether I was standing there or not. 

Yeah, I agree.  Likewise I don't let people sit in my office and try to offer me advice whilst I'm repairing their computer, lol.  In fact even if it's something simple that can be done in front of them, everyone goes through the same process of filling out the form, dropping it off, waiting for the call for pickup.

• Gold Top Dog

Kord had to go to the vet's unexpectedly yesterday, had a hard time going potty. Took me forever to get a sample for them to test. They didn't find any infection, but we took him in anyway for an exam. My boy did AWESOME.

Rode nice in the car, took the muzzle decent enough, sat on the scale, he did try to crawl into my arms to get him out of the poke and prod place but the most important thing of all.......one growl....

ONE!

No muttering, no talking back, no trying to eat the vet. He was actually sweet to the ladies, sniffing politely at other's, dogs and people included. Was a fantastic visit and I was very proud of him. But to get this far, took a lot of work and patience.

• Gold Top Dog

From experience working at a grooming shop I can say that most dogs behave far better when their owners are not there trying to "help" or even just watching from a distance. There are also liability issues involved and a vet or groomer can actually be sued if your are bitten by your own pet at their business, crazy as that seems.

• Gold Top Dog

Chuffy
    You can minimise her stress by waiting with her outside and not bringing her in until absolutely necessary - the whole place stinks of illness and fear and the longer she has to wait in the waiting room, the more worked up she is likely be before she even gets into the surgery

I agree with this, my vet's waiting room it's too small for a 120lb Malamute like mine, if we add that in the same small room there are fearful and other aggressive dogs then i just rather to wait outside and let the other dogs bark at eachother.

spiritdogs
     Sequoyah goes to the vet in her muzzle.  She thinks the muzzle means salmon brownies.  She also thinks that the vet is ok, but she is not happy being confronted with other fearful dogs in the waiting room, and would probably snap if someone reached for her reactive little a$$.

But she is a CGC dog, could she have the risk of having this title removed if she is acting this way? I have never seen a CGC dog with a muzzle before

• Gold Top Dog

So, how do you folks who won't leave the surgery suite for your dogs handle family members having surgery??  Surgery centers and hospitals aren't too keen on family being in the room either.

espenser....sigh.

• Gold Top Dog

espencer
    But she is a CGC dog, could she have the risk of having this title removed if she is acting this way? I have never seen a CGC dog with a muzzle before

Any and all animals with a mouth can snap or bite, and WILL do so if very frightened or in pain.  That includes dogs that are CGC or PAT.