The Role of Reinforcement (Reward)

• Gold Top Dog

Perhaps my yelp is just too realistic.  When Shadow was a pup I could bring neighbors running from their homes to see if HE was ok, but it didn't do a dang thing to stop the nipping.

CT might work fine with ONE pup, but I'm afraid my skin wouldn't survive SEVEN chewing on me for long!  And there is also the difficulty of getting treating one at a time.....or unintentionally reinforcing the nip for the OTHER little ankle biters!

Keep in mind too that I'm not talking about pups old enough to be placed in homes...at least not by a reputable breeder or rescue.  I'm talking about 5 week olds who are just really starting to chew.

• Gold Top Dog

spiritdogs
    I do use punishment occasionally

I wasn't aware that you used positive punishment. Now I know. Smile  There is no "gotcha" here. If I seem "needly" (and I know I do) it's to show that we're all the same. We all use positive punishment in some way or another, no matter how nicely we do it (and believe me, I'm NICE about it!) and no one is on the "higher ground". No one can say that they never use positive punishment. That's all I want to be clear about. 

• Gold Top Dog

glenmar

Perhaps my yelp is just too realistic. 

To tell the truth, it was kind of a yelpy "ouch."  He would just get this--"Oh wow, I wasn't trying to hurt you-sorry" look and his face and stop.

Sally was still play biting when we got her (at a year) and I'm a little ashamed to say how we got her to stop.  Before I am flamed, keep in mind that I didn't know anything at all about dogs when we got her.  When our cats bit us as kittens, my sister in law (the biggest cat person I knew) told us to stick the finger they bit into their mouth and gag them.  It worked for the cats so that's what I did with Sally.  If she would try to play bite I would stick my finger into her mouth and gag her.  I was the only one that ever did it to her and she never acted afraid of me during or after, and the biting didn't last through the first day, but I don't know that I would recommend that approach..... 

• Gold Top Dog

spiritdogs
    Who picks the reinforcer, the dog or the human?

The dog most certainly decides what makes a good or bad reinforcer, or what is the best vs. a mediocre reinforcer. The dog also decides what is most reinforcing at that time - the highest reinforcer in the bedroom is not necessarily the highest out in the field, is not necessarily the highest in the backyard. So context is key.
    Obviously the human decides which reinforcer to use *G*

spiritdogs
    Variable schedules of reinforcement

Well, in terms of what my dogs "Know", they can work on quite a large VSR. I have never asked for something until it became extinct, as I don't wish for them to become extinct, but they can work a long time, and do a large sequence of behaviours without the need for a reward each time.

However, as I've said before I rarely ask my dogs to do anything without having a reason to do so, so they have come to realize that doing so almost always gets them what they want. There is an understanding there. So even though I know they "will" do it long-term without reward, usually when I ask them to do something there is a reason I'm asking.

FourIsCompany
    No one can say that they never use positive punishment. That's all I want to be clear about. 

Sure they can. In the case of saying "ouch" ,the "Ouch" becomes a cue for the dog, as much as a "Leave it" does. In the beginning, the word "Ouch" is totally neutral. Usually, and the way I use it, is a distractor, it simply gets the pup's attention. At this time the puppy has no meaning for it. If the pup backs off right away, showing that it noticed the sound, you don't then punish the pup and walk away. If the pup keeps biting instead of backing off at the interruptor, you THEN get up and walk away.

Interruptors aren't punishers - they aren't meant to stop behaviour in the future, they are meant to simply interrupt a situation. An attention-getter. But once the interrupter is given meaning, it becomes a cue, and the dog has a choice as to whether or not it wishes to comply. Just as "Leave It" is giving the dog a choice (taught with a clicker), and "Sit" while at the back door gives the dog a choice (taught with a clicker), for me, the cue "Ouch" is also giving the dog a choice (not taught with a clicker, although you could teach bite prohibition with a clicker). In terms of bite inhibition, it also provides information, as for me, I don't want the pup to necessarily stop mouthing all together, just that that particular bite hurt, so I'm supplying that information.

The dog, when it hears "Ouch", has two options, and it knows the consequences of each one. If it continues to bite hard, P- will occur. If it stops biting and plays nicely, play will ensue. The pup gets to choose which choice to follow. So therefore the dog comes to understand that if it chooses to bite again, then P- will occur. And if it stops biting, play will resume. Just like "not sitting" at the door will result in my walking away, sitting at the door will result in going outdoors.

Contrast that to, with the same example, simply pressing down on a dog's tongue or holding the mouth shut. The dog has no choice in this matter, there is no auditory cue given, the punishment just happens. It isn't given information in which it can choose between scenarios, it is only presented with one option, the P+.

Does that make it more clear? And as I said in the punishment post, it's not because I have some aversion to the term punishment. I really don't. In this case it's just not used as a punisher. It's a cue, which presents information to the dog to make a decision, knowing the consequences of its actions.

Althought it would  be great if we could keep the "punishments" to the punishment thread, and the "reinforcements" to the reinforcement thread :-) Makes it easier for all to follow and contribute to.

• Gold Top Dog

my observation of the puppy biting thing is the yelp is simply automatic on the part of the hurt puppy and what is actually training the OTHER pup to bite less-hard is the withdrawl-of-attention (play), which is not +P. Even deaf pups manage to learn bite inhibition from their littermates.

• Gold Top Dog

mudpuppy
    my observation of the puppy biting thing is the yelp is simply automatic on the part of the hurt puppy and what is actually training the OTHER pup to bite less-hard is the withdrawl-of-attention (play), which is not +P.

That's a good point, because I have seen in puppies that a yelp (whether a puppy yelp or a human-yelp) can actually escalate the level of playbiting - both between dog/human and dog/dog. It is usually the loss of playing that teaches the pup that what it did was inappropriate. There are pups for whom the "yelp" doesn't work very well, and it is those pups who respond very well to P- without the use of a word.

• Gold Top Dog

It's things like this that just make me stick to the obvious when it comes to classifying things within the OC framework. Whether it's a P+ or a P-, I'm happy to use this method with a puppy, or indeed, any animal that doesn't mean to hurt me and is just a little over-excited. This is because what I really want to avoid is the type of punishment that will have a lasting impact on an animal. I think these might be punishments that are not understood by the animal. I think any dog will understand a yelp. It must be wired into them, just like they probably understand a growl. I realise I'm on a very slipperly slope here. I can't say why I think some punishments administered by humans are understood by dogs and some aren't. I just watch the animals and try to let them tell me what's okay and what's not. I'm sure if I'd only ever done one or two leash pops on Penny, she never would have withdrawn some of her trust from me. But repeatedly doing something to her that she didn't like was bad for our relationship. Failing to acknowledge her dislike of it was even worse.

I guess the dog chooses the reward with me, but I choose the level of motivation I want the dog to display and the reward to use to achieve that level.

• Gold Top Dog

Ah, and here we get into definations yet again.  I correct, redirect to something other than me to chew on, and praise for chewing on IT and not on me.  In my mind, that isn't punishment at all, and I DO reinforce for chewing on the correct thing.....just to bring things back on topic!

But, because of another thread where "eh eh" or "unh uh" is defined as punishment, I posed the question here. 

See, I think of me as a primarily positive trainer.  In MY mind, a correction is sharing information....THIS is what you did wrong.  Punishment is slapping me silly or docking my pay for making a mistake.  To ME a correction allows me the chance to get it right, particularly if it's followed by "do this instead", while a punishment is all negative.

• Gold Top Dog

Kim_MacMillan

The dog most certainly decides what makes a good or bad reinforcer, or what is the best vs. a mediocre reinforcer. The dog also decides what is most reinforcing at that time - the highest reinforcer in the bedroom is not necessarily the highest out in the field, is not necessarily the highest in the backyard. So context is key.
    Obviously the human decides which reinforcer to use *G*

I am not sure how a "Reward" thread drifted into a discussion on Punishment.

Anyway, I don't disagree with the above quote and I will go so far as to agree with the statement.  I believe this is a very common mistake by trainers by not recognizing that reinforcers are fleeting in the dog, that is their prize value changes because of the natural tugs of deprivation and satiation.  Of course, affection is never fleeting in a dog. 

• Gold Top Dog

their prize value changes because of the natural tugs of deprivation and satiation.  Of course, affection is never fleeting in a dog. 

so you're saying that the value of "affection" doesn't wax and wane? most people I know are fully aware that "value" of rewards changes constantly; my experience is that the value of "affection" also waxes and wanes depending on the situation.

• Gold Top Dog

mudpuppy

their prize value changes because of the natural tugs of deprivation and satiation.  Of course, affection is never fleeting in a dog. 

so you're saying that the value of "affection" doesn't wax and wane? most people I know are fully aware that "value" of rewards changes constantly; my experience is that the value of "affection" also waxes and wanes depending on the situation.

Yes, I believe with your experience it would.

• Gold Top Dog

DPU
    I am not sure how a "Reward" thread drifted into a discussion on Punishment.

Call me Mrs Stupid, but I confess to being confused here. 

• Gold Top Dog

Scoot over and make room for me in the confused corner, eh Chuffy?  There are soooo many different behavior threads and my head has started to spin with them all.

• Gold Top Dog

glenmar

Scoot over and make room for me in the confused corner, eh Chuffy?  There are soooo many different behavior threads and my head has started to spin with them all.

No kidding! Me = ?????

I'm glad so many cool discussions are going on, but things have gotten a bit hectic. Aroo?

• Gold Top Dog

*joins the confused corner* They're all blending into one another! It hurts mah head. Sometimes I just want to reduce everything to something far more simple: I always use rewards in teaching, but should I couple them with punishments of some sort, it will be so mild the dog will get over it instantly and forget it instantly.

What punishment or reward I use will, of course, depend on what the dog finds rewarding or punishing. I aim for a reward to match the inherent difficulty of what I'm asking, and a punishment as minimal as possible. If I can get away with all rewards and no punishment, I will most certainly do that, whatever that is today. Stick out tongue