Nipping other dogs at park while playing

• Gold Top Dog

Most dogs take the nipping in stride. I don't think that Neiko has ever been snapped at for trying to herd a dog. BUT, some dogs don't understand the play style and get fearful - then put tails btwn legs and all that - at that point, they will snap if I don't call Neiko off.

Oh, I take that back - Dakota snaps at Neiko when she gets annoyed with his herding behavior. 

• Gold Top Dog

Respectfully, the chase games dogs play are not herding  even if they happen in herding breeds.  Herding is a very distinct and seperate set of behaviors.  Herding instinct requires a prey species to be evaluated.  It requires the awareness in the dog that there are three entities involved; the stock/animals to be herded, the handler to whom the dog "balances" the stock in some manner, and the dog.

The play described is definately prey drive to an extent and some of the behaviors that occur in herding may be observed.  It is not however, a demonstration of herding instinct.

• Gold Top Dog

Jewlieee

That is definitely herding play. My aussie does it as well and I also get some owners that ask me to call off my dog. Those owners that understand herding style play don't mind.

You have to be mindful though. Neiko, my aussie, has a best bud at the dog park who he plays with daily. Because he's always nipping at the same spot, he caused some sores to develop on the other dog (I had a border collie pup do this to my husky as well. She got sores on her ankle from the pup). So, I have now started working on Neiko to "Leave it" and "That's enough" when he starts to get too nippy around the neck.  It takes some really tasty treats though to call him off of his best dog buddy mid-play.

Absolutely normal herding dog play.  I have never had either of my dogs put sores on another dog, but I can tell you that Sequoyah puts a lot of mats in the hair behind Sioux's ears!  Nothing like dog spit to make a matted mess.

At the park, if another owner gets on you, try this - gently pull your dog (nipper) away from the other dog (nippee).  If the nippee goes back to the nipper, all is ok.  If the nippee takes a powder, then redirect your dog to some other playmate.  Explain to other owners that this is herding style play, and that no one is yelping or bleeding!  However, it's usually better NOT to allow Shepherds, Huskies, and other more drivey/predatory breeds to chase any significantly smaller breed dogs.  Be sure your dog does know "leave it" and be kind to the less educated owners who are nervous.  They may feel better allowing their dogs to play, once they see how much control you have over your dog.

• Gold Top Dog

californiaglock

do hearding dogs ever nip and hurd a dog and than get snapped at for their behavior?i have always wondered if anyone has had that experence, or do the dogs take the nipping instride

Misty's done this already, and frankly, the other dogs don't seem to like to be herded!  I guess they feel offended.  LOL  She does it to a dog named Max (109lb. lab), I don't think he even feels it, but the other dogs, turn and chase her.  Not in a bad way, well at least not that Misty feels.  She plays with everything and anything!!!