How do you train NOT to jump up and grab stuff off tables etc.

• Gold Top Dog
    That depends how long you are out - crates are not designed to house a dog for extended periods (except at night).  Most young dogs are confined when the owner is out - but this is usually to the kitchen - where the counters are!!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Chuffy, you must be in the UK.  Bologna is a delicatessen product made here in the US, usually made from beef, but, now, sometimes from a combination of meats.  Like salami without the spices sort of.

Again, no point in *correcting* the dog for countersurfing.  He will only respect the counters when you are there.  Dogs are not stupid (they have at least the intelligence of a 3-4 year old toddler), and they will go wherever they want when you are not there.  It's the same reason why some dogs learn not to pee in front of humans - if they've been scolded for it in the house, they may even try to hold it outdoors.  Hence, the stupid human finally brings the dog back inside, and oops, there's a puddle around the corner in the den.  Dog gets scolded again - vicious cycle leads to unhousetrained dog. [:'(]

• Puppy
    ORIGINAL: Chuffy

That depends how long you are out - crates are not designed to house a dog for extended periods (except at night).  Most young dogs are confined when the owner is out - but this is usually to the kitchen - where the counters are!!

You can use a kennel.

You can also use the kennel when you are not around to supervise the dog and correct his behaviour.
    If you don't let it become a habit, take the rewards off the table, take his attention away from the counter, correct him when he jumps up and don't leave him unsupervised so he can jump up as he likes, he will outgrow this behaviour.

• Gold Top Dog
    Murphy, bless his ever constant and determined little heart, has been trying for weeks to train me to QUIT leaving stuff up on the counter to tempt him. He gets down one thing after another and I moan and groan (behind his back, of course) and vow to change and then it happens again.

He ate a small sourdough loaf this morning. I have no room anywhere because of  Christmas and because of home construction but I SHOULD know better. I have a graduate  degree, I support myself, and I am pretty darn consistent with my nephews.

Why is this particular lesson so hard for me to get? I mean, you know the saying, "When the teacher is ready, the student will appear"?

Man, Nancy . . .
    [:)]

• Gold Top Dog
    I tried setting my dog up and I tied some cans with pennies them to a string, and tied a treat to the end.   She fell for it and almost jumped into my lap when she knocked them down the first time.   So later that night I caught her gently nibbling the end of the string, very careful not to pull it off the counter! 
    For those with young dogs, she is getting a lot better as she gets older (she is almost a year now).   We did teach her the leave it command so that helps when we are around.   We try to keep tables/counters clean but it seems to near impossible sometimes!

• Gold Top Dog
    Not to be OT, but what's wrong with your dog (injured, I read somewhere else)? I have a recovering dog, too. What joy that is, huh?