Chihuahua crying out in pain, but perfectly fine...

• Gold Top Dog

Chihuahua crying out in pain, but perfectly fine...

I have two chihuahuas and a pitbull puppy. I've had my chihuahuas since they were each 3 months old. Jonas is 6. Maggie is 5. We all recently moved in with my boyfriend and his 10 month old pitbull puppy. It was a little rough at first, getting them to like eachother, but it worked out. They get along pretty well, but we keep the chihuahuas and puppy separated when we're not home. The move has been a little rough on the chihuahuas. I think they just miss my old home, they had been there since pups.

I came home last night, and when I went to bed (the two chihuahuas sleep with us. i know i know... bad habits. but we don't have a working heater right now... hehe), Maggie started crying out like she was in pain. I thought I had squished her or something. We woke up, turned on the lights, checked her all over about 100 times, and there was nothing wrong. But if i would touch her at slightly, ANYWHERE, she would cry out in pain. (she's a real drama queen sometimes...) She sometimes cries when her ears are bothering her, but I had just cleaned her ears. I looked at them, perfectly clean, nothing in there. I had to hold her all night. Otherwise she would cry. And I don't mean whining, but I a cry like she might be in real pain. Needless to say... I didn't get much sleep last night. And this morning wasn't any better. We went to the vet, perfectly healthy. He checked to seeif one of her legs might be broken or fractured, but nope. She even gained a little weight. The vet said if it continued, to bring her back and they'd do more tests.

My question is... what's going on??? haha. Does she want more attention, and because crying out gets it, she continues to be a brat? My boyfriend thinks she's acting out because she stays at home alone longer than she used to. I'm getting a little fed-up. I can't even lift something up without her screaming out like she's in pain. At one point, she was playing with Jonas, and then next minute, she was laying down, crying out like he had hurt her. But... he didn't. I was watching them the whole time. She only stops when I hold her. I've squeezed all her legs, her head, her ears, her tail, just to see if I'd get a pain reaction, but nothing. No cries when I hold her. Any suggestions???

-barby*
    • Gold Top Dog
    I think you may be coddling and spoiling her too much.

Since I can't hear the noise, I can only assume that if the vet gave her a clean bill of health, that she is doing it to get attention.

Don't hold her when she screams. Don't comfort her when she screams.

Get her checked out again by a vet, and get some blood work done in case it's something internal.

Also, keep the Chis and Pit seperated when you are not there to supervise. Never leave them alone together.
    • Puppy
    Rule out physical causes before you jump to behavioral conclusions. Get her checked out by a vet. Get a full blood panel, make sure everything is okay structurally, and get her thyroid checked. Some dogs who are hypothyroid are touch-sensitive.

• Gold Top Dog
    Nicole is right, and also consider tick-borne illnesses, such as Lyme.  Dogs with Lyme will often feel intermittent pain and scream when you touch them.
    Just a caveat...there is a huge size difference between your dogs, and it doesn't take much for an exuberant pup to do severe damage to a tiny dog.  Please be very, very careful.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm going to second (or third or fourth) the vet check. I had a friend with an adopted pit bull who started one day just shrieking in pain (I called once and she was in the background doing it and it was horrifying!). She'd be fine for a while but then would start crying and screaming. Turns out she had a pretty serious medical issue regarding her spine and inflammation (the details escape me right now) that took weeks of pretty heavy medication to clear up. But she's been fine ever since.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Houndlove--That's a fantastic and encouraging story.

Thank you :)
    • Puppy

About3days ago my chichuha woke in middle of night screaming.. I jumped up and she had got off bed and hid.. I though she hurt a leg or something.. She then went to sleep in other room.. She's able to jump up , she runs to door to go out but only walk few minutes then sits till I pick her up.ive picked her up and she streaks but vet couldn't find anything.. She's not eating or drinking.. She keeps shrieking out of no where.. I don't know what's hurting her?

Thank you

• Bronze

Hi Barby, this article I wrote might help you. community.dog.com/.../why-some-dogs-whine-at-night-and-how-to-stop-it.aspx It will not answer everything but it will give you a hint on how to deal with the whining.

• Puppy

@barby

I have two chihuahuas and a pitbull puppy. I've had my chihuahuas since they were each 3 months old. Jonas is 6. Maggie is 5. We all recently moved in with my boyfriend and his 10 month old pitbull puppy. It was a little rough at first, getting them to like eachother, but it worked out. They get along pretty well, but we keep the chihuahuas and puppy separated when we're not home. The move has been a little rough on the chihuahuas. I think they just miss my old home, they had been there since pups.

I came home last night, and when I went to bed (the two chihuahuas sleep with us. i know i know... bad habits. but we don't have a working heater right now... hehe), Maggie started crying out like she was in pain. I thought I had squished her or something. We woke up, turned on the lights, checked her all over about 100 times, and there was nothing wrong. But if i would touch her at slightly, ANYWHERE, she would cry out in pain. (she's a real drama queen sometimes...) She sometimes cries when her ears are bothering her, but I had just cleaned her ears. I looked at them, perfectly clean, nothing in there. I had to hold her all night. Otherwise she would cry. And I don't mean whining, but I a cry like she might be in real pain. Needless to say... I didn't get much sleep last night. And this morning wasn't any better. We went to the vet, perfectly healthy. He checked to seeif one of her legs might be broken or fractured, but nope. She even gained a little weight. The vet said if it continued, to bring her back and they'd do more tests.

My question is... what's going on??? haha. Does she want more attention, and because crying out gets it, she continues to be a brat? My boyfriend thinks she's acting out because she stays at home alone longer than she used to. I'm getting a little fed-up. I can't even lift something up without her screaming out like she's in pain. At one point, she was playing with Jonas, and then next minute, she was laying down, crying out like he had hurt her. But... he didn't. I was watching them the whole time. She only stops when I hold her. I've squeezed all her legs, her head, her ears, her tail, just to see if I'd get a pain reaction, but nothing. No cries when I hold her. Any suggestions???

-barby*

Hi, barby she's just spoiled thats all, what if I told you we can correct that and give you the privilege of leaving your  two Chihuahuas at home with your bf's PitBull!, without a worry? Check out our Exclusive online Dog training for pups from two months old to dogs at 4-5-6 years old!, No matter the size or shape, whatever problem your facing with your dog, we can correct that with our online training with the best dog trainer known, >DoGgY DaN< click this link: bit.ly/1CFp5nQ or right it down and paste it in your browser for your 3 day $1 trial now!! Go check out our website and turn your bad dog into a good one!!