Crate training: Do dogs become territorial of their crates?

• Gold Top Dog

Crate training: Do dogs become territorial of their crates?

I definitely will be crate training my dog when I some day get one. However, what I am wondering about, is whether dogs become territorial of it if you let it be their little special spot. I want my kids to leave the dog alone when he's in there, but at the same time, if a child reaches in to pet him or whatever, I don't want a bite to happen either. What are your thoughts on this?
    • Gold Top Dog
    Get a well socialized dog that already likes kids!

If you are intent on getting a puppy, my vote is for things like Portuguese Water Dogs - they tend to like people and other dogs.  Added benefit - no shedding.  Although, they do need grooming.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I always reached into Shippo's crate when he was little - to give him treats and goodies, and I also pet him while I gave these goodies. He's going to be a year old in a few days, and has no guarding issues with his crate... not even when I go over to my mom's and my annoying baby brother tries to poke his fingers through the bars. >O\/o<

Now of course, I don't LET him do that, but toddlers sometimes manage to get a poke in when you're BLINKING, before you can pull them away, and espescially if their parents aren't watching (something my mom seems to have gotten rusty at after I grew up). >X.x;<
    • Gold Top Dog
    A well trained dog will not get territorial over their crate. I actually trained Conrad for his crate by getting into his crate myself at first (he's a big dog, so it's a big crate!), to show him that the crate is a good happy place that I enjoy and he should feel free to enjoy it as well. I engage him while he's in his crate all the time. I talk to him and hand him things and straighten his crate liner out and pet him and take his toys away when I have to (when it's bed time--the munch munch slurp of a dog trying to suck filling out of a marrow bone is not the greatest of lullabies).

If the dog has never had anything unpleasant happen as the result of someone entering the space of his crate, he'll feel no need to defend it. I've never done anything bad to either dog while in their crates, I've never drug them out by their collars or punished them or hurt them in any way. I do sometimes take their toys away, but I quite often give them a little treat in exchange when I do that. When I or anyone else approach their crates, all they're thinking is happy thoughts. If you set up a good foundation like that, the occaisional poke from a kid is not going to be enough to set a well-socialized well-trained dog off.
    • Gold Top Dog
    If you crate train the dog properly and sensitively, he should not get territorial about it.   

However, in our house its a golden rule that kids NEVER disturb the dog while he is in the crate.  They are also told NEVER to touch the dog while he is eating or sleeping.  This means the dog has a little space and respect when he needs it most and removes the main opportunities for misunderstanding and conflict between child/dog.

My dog is wonderful with kids in general, but when my nephew leaned down to him while he was in his crate he turned away and had a little grumble.  1, he was tired and that's why he was there - he was trying to tell the kid, "not now dammit I'm trying to rest!"  2, he would ordinarily have simply moved away but in the crate this is not an option - he's cornered and the pesky child is blocking his only escape route.  He no longer has a choice between Fight and Flight and this makes him uncomfortable - more so than had he not been in the crate.

The dog should never feel cornered when he is in his crate - it defeats its Number One purpose of being a safe haven.  Plus, he should always know anytime hes had enough that he can go there and rest undisturbed.  This way he won't get snappy with children when he is tired and wants them to leave him alone - he knows he can go somewhere where they can't touch him.  Lastly, if a child never puts his hand in the crate, the child won't get bitten for doing it.
    • Gold Top Dog
    In general dogs should not be territorial over their crates, but then I feel a responsible dog owner does not mess with the dog if the dog is there to sleep or eat.

I think kid training is very important for the safety of the child and dog, as we all know, a dog that bites usually ends up at the pound.
    • Bronze

Massage chairs also help improve blood circulation. The massage chair applies pressure to the muscles, which can help improve blood flow. This improved blood circulation can help reduce muscle tension and soreness. massagechairgenius.com/best-massage-chair-for-small-space

• Puppy

Crate training is a great way to provide a safe and comfortable space for your dog. While dogs can become territorial over their crates, it doesn't necessarily mean they will bite if someone reaches in. It's important to teach your children to respect the dog's space and not bother them when they are in their crate. However, with proper training and socialization, your dog should learn to be calm and relaxed in their crate, even when approached by people. Remember to supervise interactions between your children and the dog, and teach them how to approach and pet the dog gently to prevent any potential issues.

• Puppy

In order to make your dog feel secure and at ease, crate training is a fantastic option. Dogs can get possessive of their crates, but that doesn't imply they'll attack anyone who reaches in there. Instruct your little children to leave the dog alone in its crate when it is occupied. But with the right kind of training and socialization, your dog can learn to be comfortable in their crate even when strangers come to visit. Always keep an eye on your kids when they're near the dog, and show them how to properly pet and engage with the animal. https://geometry-dash.io/