7and a half weeks old and...

• Gold Top Dog

7and a half weeks old and...

I'm a little concerned about my new puppy, she's 8 weeks and a couple of days ago (we've had her almost a week...) she began to follow my pant legs when I was walking around the house and has begun to lunge at them (not in a playful manner like she does with her toys...) growling angrily, biting and ripping at my pants...mind you she's tiny so it's not torn anything but I am worried as to how I should correct this before it gets worse and she gets older.
    I have been trying to distract her and redirect the behavior but unless I pick her up she won't stop.
    Also when she doesn't want to be picked up she growls and  sometimes  snaps while wriggling around in my hands.
    What should I do to redirect the behavior...?
    What will help? Has anyone experienced this before at such an early age?
    • Gold Top Dog
    Because the pup is so young,you might do what her own mom would do in a situation where the pup is being overly aggressive..

I might firmly but gently take the pup by the scruff of the neck,and hold it there until it calms down,then pet gently when its behavior is over..Mom would ussually lick,but thats up to you..lol

I am no puppy expert,but I have seen this with moms and pups before..
    • Gold Top Dog
    Oh my pug use to do this same thing ALL THE TIME!!  Although it appears not to be play it is.  They are really trying to initiate play with you.  Even the picking up and growling is a form of ruff playing and trying to entice you to play back.  We used bitter apple spray on our pants legs when she would get really bad and Spiritdogs suggestion on another threat of squeezing away behind a closed door and leaving the puppy on the other side is a great idea.  If the puppy thinks that her actions are going to make you leave and she will be alone she will start to figure out that this action dosen't get the result she is hoping for.  Bring this baby to a training class and socialize her with everyone and everything -- its the prime age to socialize. 

As for picking her up and the reaction you discribe I would put her down and walk away.  Ignore those behaviors as much as you can.

What kind of pup? and how about some pictures???  Good luck? 

• Gold Top Dog
    She's a miniature pinscher, I have a male min pin, and when I got him he had SEVERE aggression (he was also 3 years old already)...so I guess I'm just a little cautious since this one is a puppy I want to make sure I work on things early so that when she's older they won't become issues. I don't wanna have the typical "small dog syndrome" I'm a strong believer that training is key to having a dog you can consider a companion.
    I'll post pictures soon! but since she's so new I haven't loaded them up anywhere yet!
    I assumed it might be play but I wondered if that was just me blowing it off....and if I was doing the right thing.
    I'll continue to "end the game" and redirect the behavior, as she gets older and she gets the same reactions ...she'll eventually kick the habit [;)] Thanks so much...
    If anyone else has any input feel free!

• Gold Top Dog
    It's play!

Don't let it become a habit, though. Do not react in any way to it, and that includes saying No, waving your hands, or any other fussing on your part. Stand still and look away and yawn and do not do anything that could be misconstrued as playing.

7 weeks is very young. Why so young?
    • Gold Top Dog
    Get her in to puppy class NOW and let her learn some bite inhibition the natural way.  Also, when she nips and growls (this is normal for some puppies, but you need to discourage it because you don't want it to persist past puppyhood) you can yelp and leave.  Don't look at her, just go.  That teaches her that if she bites, her playmate (you) disappears.  If necessary, go into a closet or the bathroom for a few moments.  This exercise will often need to be repeated.  If you got your pup at 7 weeks, that is slightly early, and she lost some valuable time with her litter, so get her with other young pups asap - before she reaches 12 weeks.  I know - shots.  But, more pups die from behavior problems than from Parvo, so if you have a training center that takes young puppies, sign up.  What you seem to have is a normal puppy that is simply at the heavy end of the rough play spectrum.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I was told that chasing pant legs or bathrobes is more of a prey driven instinct in young pups and it will go away in a few weeks.  Bitter apple spray helped speed that up for us.  My pup is now 16 weeks old and has finally stopped doing that but it took till at least 12 weeks for him to loose that drive.  They don't associate the clothing as you.  Its just low to the ground and moving.  Dogs naturally are prey driven.  They learn it is part of you soon enough and that they can't do it.  Just like moving hands are too tempting for them to not go after the first few months.  Seems to make sense to me.  Mine is nipping a bit less now and not going after my clothes that often anymore. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    losinsusan..good post.....Mine did that till she was about 6 months old...would grab on my pants leg everythime I went by...she was also very mouthy that stopped about the same age...this pup is very young and is just playing
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: losinsusan

I was told that chasing pant legs or bathrobes is more of a prey driven instinct in young pups and it will go away in a few weeks.  Bitter apple spray helped speed that up for us.  My pup is now 16 weeks old and has finally stopped doing that but it took till at least 12 weeks for him to loose that drive.  They don't associate the clothing as you.  Its just low to the ground and moving.  Dogs naturally are prey driven.  They learn it is part of you soon enough and that they can't do it.  Just like moving hands are too tempting for them to not go after the first few months.  Seems to make sense to me.  Mine is nipping a bit less now and not going after my clothes that often anymore. 

Actually, if you discourage it, either by using a benign deterrent, as you did, or by doing what I suggested before, it does go away.  The problem is that when people deal with it harshly or by pushing at the dog, the dog interprets those things either as aggression or play, and the behavior tends to persist.
    • Puppy

Hi Everybody, just bought my toy poodle home today from the breeder.  She is eight weeks old.  I just want to introduce myself to the forum.  I live in Manhattan

• Puppy

Definitely play, to young to be displaying aggression.

Also, be careful picking her up when she's doing that. You are giving her exactly what she wants (your attention).

• Bronze

You should understand that puppy behavior develop through time and you need to address the right issues at the right time. There are several stages of puppyhood http://www.howtoteachadog.com/development-stages-of-puppyhood . You will learn that

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

HI, thanks for joining our forum. Please get you pup into classes as soon as you can. Exercise is imporant as well as training. Even though they are small they still need a good walk everyday. I always say a tired dog is a good dog. The more you can stimulate their minds and body, they will let go a lot of that wild behaviour. The more you can socialize the better especially with small dogs. Please keep us posted when you find a trainer and remember to walk your pup everyday!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

HI welcome to the forum, we'd love to see some pics of that new pup!