What can I do to make my dog a healthy weight without feeding her crap!?

• Gold Top Dog

I would agree with the "lengthy ingredient list" but RICH?  Blue?  That word pops up from time to time in relation to a variety of foods and I don't think anyone has ever really come up with a defination of RICH.  Not to be critical, honestly, but to me, rich is something like cheesecake or a decadent chocolate creation that is sooooo rich more than a few bites is way too much......

• Gold Top Dog

maybe 'rich' was the wrong word.... but I wouldn't classify it as 'bland' either... hmm. word choices have not been my strong point today! haha

• Gold Top Dog

glenmar
    decadent chocolate creation

Glenda, cut that out!

On topic, you could add lean meats and fish to the food to add more healthy calories.  It's what I do too.  Willow gets generous portions of meats added to her meals.  And, very little in the way of "snacks". 

• Gold Top Dog

Erica1989 - my sister feeds BB the lamb/rice puppy version to her dog; the ingredients are pretty bland with lamb/rice/barley (IIRC) that's pretty much it.

The wilderness is a different animal, I wasn't referring to that one.

My point is, for the OP to switch (if she wants to) to a slightly richer/better quality food for a while, but have it be a bland version, i.e. one meat/one grain source, then go from there.

Pancreatitis can and does happen VERY commonly in dogs that have also been malnourished and neglected; yes it does have uncertainty behind it in the reasoning that no one knows why it occurs. But I have experienced first hand, and it's horrible to watch what it does to an otherwise healthy dog.....I personally will forever try to avoid it happening to another animal in my care, thus the reason behind switching a malnourished dog carefully to new foods.