How much chicken & rice to feed 25 lb dog?

[$provider]
    • Gold Top Dog

retroglamor

Your Dal is so cute!! Ours has an eye patch too. I used to have a picture of him here, it disappeared somehow. I always liked Dalmatians, never thought I'd own one. We went to so many shelters, looking for the right dog - we were looking for another small, younger dog - go figure we bring home the 14 year old Dalmatian. I just knew he was the one the second I saw him. We had a really hard time with him in the beginning, but he is a fantastic dog. So much personality. Quite a rascal. All I can say is I am so glad I've had the chance to own one, and all dog-lovers should in my opinion... it's a wonderful experience.

Thank you and I never thought I'd own one either. Our daughter got one and I fell in love with the breed. When her poor dal passed on, she wanted another one. She looked at DalSavers and found a litter that was abandoned in a barn,left to run and survive in a farm field for several weeks in winter.They came here from Illinois and we went to look at them. My daughter picked one that looked just like her first one and we bought her sister.   I love their personality and zest for life, and they're such clowns.  Hers doesn't have allergies, but ours does.Wish I could see yours.
    • Gold Top Dog

I have a homecooked recipe that was developed by a canine nutritionalist that I am always happy to share.  I do not use grains in my homecooked, but rather sweet potato as a carb source.

Aside from meat and a carb source, you need to include organ meat, a calcium supplement....those are crucial.  The other stuff I use, is more optional and more a matter of personal opinion, but those two ARE important.

• Silver

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

I am going to check out the Monica Segal website. I think once I have actual recipes to look at, I will feel a little more comfortable and less daunted by the whole thing.

We are going to talk to a local butcher about getting some organ meat for cheap. My fiancee still thinks I am a little crazy for trying this, but I feel so much better. I just think after what our pups have been through, not only do they deserve a tasty meal, but one that will help them feel better and maybe even live longer. They're both seniors and I want us and them to enjoy the time they have with us as much as possible. We missed out on most of their lives, and I want to give back what they never had.

OK, done being corny now! Thanks again. Smile

• Gold Top Dog

retroglamor

I don't find that corny at all !   You've perfectly summarized the reasons why alot of us homecook, feed raw, or supplement with fresh foods.  

• Gold Top Dog

retroglamor

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

I am going to check out the Monica Segal website. I think once I have actual recipes to look at, I will feel a little more comfortable and less daunted by the whole thing.

We are going to talk to a local butcher about getting some organ meat for cheap. My fiancee still thinks I am a little crazy for trying this, but I feel so much better. I just think after what our pups have been through, not only do they deserve a tasty meal, but one that will help them feel better and maybe even live longer. They're both seniors and I want us and them to enjoy the time they have with us as much as possible. We missed out on most of their lives, and I want to give back what they never had.

I'm not sure if your're talking about your dal, but dals aren't supposed to get organ meat----something I read on dalmatians.I don't know why, but I do know any food a dal gets should be low in purines,as not to cause kidney stones in males. The Dalmatian Club of America had this information.
    • Silver

For now, I am just going to feed the little one the homecooked stuff. Domino is healthier than ever, seems to enjoy his food, and has a ton of energy for a 14 year old. But... I will read this, because I don't know anything about it, and I am extremely interested in any preventative measures I can take to prevent the kidney stones, bladder infections, etc. That is the one thing that has plagued him regularly.

I read somewhere giving them lots of water is a good way to "flush out their system" and prevent them, but given the chance, I really think he would drink gallons of water at a time. He is with water like my parent's Lab is with food- completely obsessed and will do almost anything to get it. We have to ration his water because of it!

Thanks for the info.

• Gold Top Dog

retroglamor
    to prevent the kidney stones, bladder infections, etc. That is the one thing that has plagued him regularly

retroglamor
    I really think he would drink gallons of water at a time. He is with water like my parent's Lab is with food- completely obsessed and will do almost anything to get it. We have to ration his water because of it!

So,your dog has been plagued by kidney stones and bladder infections and you're rationing his water intake Hmm  One thing i would highly recommend against  doing for any dog, not just yours is limiting their water intake,they should have water available at ALL times.If he is drinking gallons at a time then IMO a vet visit is in order,because this is not normal.As you know Dalamations suffer from stones,kidney and bladder problems and owners of these dogs should be on the ball.

My advice dont withhold water and get him checked by the vet. 

• Gold Top Dog

I know, that's what I thought--I sent her a message about dals needing lots of water, as I never stop Maizy from drinking, no matter what. I also know males are much more prone to this.Kidney stones are no fun, as I've dealt with them for over 20 years.I hope she see's this and lets her dal drink all the water he wants.    Confused

• Gold Top Dog

Edie

retroglamor
    to prevent the kidney stones, bladder infections, etc. That is the one thing that has plagued him regularly

retroglamor
    I really think he would drink gallons of water at a time. He is with water like my parent's Lab is with food- completely obsessed and will do almost anything to get it. We have to ration his water because of it!

So,your dog has been plagued by kidney stones and bladder infections and you're rationing his water intake Hmm  One thing i would highly recommend against  doing for any dog, not just yours is limiting their water intake,they should have water available at ALL times.If he is drinking gallons at a time then IMO a vet visit is in order,because this is not normal.As you know Dalamations suffer from stones,kidney and bladder problems and owners of these dogs should be on the ball.

My advice dont withhold water and get him checked by the vet. 

I agree; it's a mistake to limit a dog's water intake, especially one that is prone to kidney and bladder problems. Limiting how much water he can drink is likely to contribute to these problems.

• Gold Top Dog

Preferably distilled water, from what I've read about it. My Dachshund had a very nice batch of bladder stones removed (her "rock garden", awww, yes I'm silly...) a few months back. From what I've read and been told, distilled water is the best thing for her. So far, so good. My dogs have unlimited access to water.

• Puppy

Hi,

chicken and rice needs to have green and yellow vegetables along with it, we use carrots and zuchini and so do our friends who have dogs that live long lives.

Make sure the chiken is cooked as you probably will have to freeze it, so as not to cook daily. And make sure that the vegies are cooked , easier to digest, we steam them to keep vitamins. I cut the carrots in very small peices and the zuchini just melts quickly. then mix with semi-whole rice and  the chicken is cooked separately.

hope this helps.

• Puppy

jessies_mom
    I don't agree with a statement on the linked page, that dogs don't have a nutritional need for carbohydrates. Their brain, like ours, must have glucose. Of course the body can make glucose from meat sources but it's more readily available from carbohydrates, which is one reason I think including some carbs in a dog's diet is a good idea.

Dogs are carnivores so they have no nutritional need for carbs.  They get all the nutrition they need from the meat, bones, and organs of prey animals.  I just lost my 11 year old Gread Dane, Abby last February.  She had not been fed a carb for the last 10 years of her life and showed no signs of nutritional deficiency.  Same with my 7 year old Dane, Thor, who hasn't had a carb since he was 12 weeks old.  Carnivores get their energy needs from animal fat.  Dogs aren't humans (omnivores) and have different nutritional needs.  It is much easier to feed a carnivore a balanced diet.  All you need is raw meat, bones, and organs from a variety of animals.  Mostly meat, some bone, and some organs.  Exact ratios aren't important. 

NOTE:  Dalmations are a little different as they MUST have food low in purines because of kidney and bladder stones.  They can be fed a raw diet but it must have some other stuff in it.

• Gold Top Dog

This is a five year old argument -- I mean "thread".  I've been home-cooking for years -- have my own way, and tailor each dog's diet to its needs (we tend to take on special needs dogs very often).

I'm laughing -- I didn't even post to this 5 years ago -- I don't feed chicken OR rice (rice is a pretty worthless grain for most anybuddy LOL).  Just wanted everyone to be aware this was a particularly OLD thread.