How to prepare marrow bones?

• Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Mightyenapup

But is it not true that you can get worms from uncooked meat? I assume the same goes for dogs.

I feed prey model raw diet. I have been feeding for seven years this diet to my cats, dogs and ferrets. Not once have I seen worms. Vets may tell you that, but during vet school they go through a 1 week course on nutritrion sponsored by Purina, which, sorry to say this to purina feeders, is some of the crappiest foods you can feed besides Old Roy, Kibbles 'N' Bits, Iams... They used to be top notch performance foods back in the day, but they lost their glory.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Where would I find these raw marrow bones? I've bought the ones from the petstore also and have never had a problem with them, but that's probably because none of my dogs have ever been tough chewers. I would love to try raw bones with my new foster (I'm having a hard time finding stuff that will keep him occupied and happy in his crate) but I dont know where to start looking for them.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I get my raw marrow bones in the grocery store. They are useually to the side or above the regular fresh meat. Stores often call them soup bones. Any pet store that sells RAW diet will have frozen bones as well. Mind you, they are more expensive in the pet stores.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thanks denise, next time I go grocery shopping I'll try to find some.

ORIGINAL: denise_m

. Mind you, they are more expensive in the pet stores.
    Shesh, isn't everything? If I have to get something for the dog that I know walmart has then I go there first because they are ALWAYS cheaper than both petsmart and petco!!!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Isn't that the truth?  When my old dog got arthritis, I decided to put him on about 1/2 aspirin a day for stiffness.  I discovered the *dog aspirin* at the pet stores was exactly the same as the *adult regimen aspirin* sold in drugstores.  The only difference was at Pet-Co they were about $16 for 20 tablets, and at Wal-Mart they were $3.99 for a bottle of 300. Other than the price difference, they were the very same 81 mg. coated aspirin.

Joyce
    • Gold Top Dog
    What bones are safe for the dogs to chew on? I have heard only the leg bones but my sister just had 2 cows butchered and they gave her ALL the bones except the skull and she now has a huge commercial freezer full of all the bones a dog could ever want! It seems a waste not to take some with 11 dogs here who would love to have some!Not to mention they are free!
    • Gold Top Dog
    They can even have the skull;) ALL of it is fine, as long as it's raw.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Wow ! Looks like we hit the jackpot them! Too bad more of you werent in NY,i would share!