Nutro Vs. Innova Evo?

• Gold Top Dog
    exactly Britneyp. One should try the super-premium foods first. If your dog is one of the rare ones that has an allergy or other difficulty with the first one you try, try a different super-premium food. Only switch to less than super-premium if forced to. Cost is not really a valid concern, since super-premium kibbles often cost less to feed per serving than the lesser quality kibbles-- the price per bag isn't your best guide to how much the food will cost you to feed, especially if you think about the possible avoided vet bills from feeding a high-quality food. And please supplement with some fresh foods even if feeding a super-premium kibble. No way on earth any processed preserved food can contain all the micronutrients your dog needs for optimal lifelong health.
    • Silver
    I absolutely could not agree with you more, mudpuppy.

My dogs get recreational beef knuckle bones, ribs, etc. and they get a meal of kibble eac morning (Evo, coicidentally. But, they've done well on several others too) and a meal of frozen pre-made raw at night. They thrive on this. I could not be more pleased.

Now if only I could convice the cats to eat raw... I couldn't even force it down their throats if I wanted to. They absolutely go nuts over their Evo dry. :)
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: mudpuppy

exactly Britneyp. One should try the super-premium foods first. If your dog is one of the rare ones that has an allergy or other difficulty with the first one you try, try a different super-premium food. Only switch to less than super-premium if forced to. Cost is not really a valid concern, since super-premium kibbles often cost less to feed per serving than the lesser quality kibbles-- the price per bag isn't your best guide to how much the food will cost you to feed, especially if you think about the possible avoided vet bills from feeding a high-quality food. And please supplement with some fresh foods even if feeding a super-premium kibble. No way on earth any processed preserved food can contain all the micronutrients your dog needs for optimal lifelong health.

I would like to second this.  There were a couple of premium foods that Sally did not do well on.  She did horribly on Burns.  She lost muscle tone and her coat was dry, flakey, and generally nasty.  However, I know a woman who's young male APBT was doing wonderfully on it.  If I had just given up, Sally likey would have been subjected to a food that gave her an allergic reaction, and I would have never found the food she is on now, which she does wonderfully on.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I totally agree with you BritneyP and mudpuppy!! When I read some of the responses I thought the same thing. Of COURSE some dogs might be allergic to ingredients in EVO and no one said that it's the exact right food for every dog. The point is that the ingredients in Innova are higher quality.
    • Silver
    I agree totally. That's why Ginger is not on Evo cos' I think that would be way too much protein for her. She's not a very active dog. So I put her on California Natural instead. She does great on it. We had a vet check-up earlier today and he said she's looking good :) I'm sure a lot of dogs do just fine on other brands including Nutro. But mine just happened to develop allergies to Nutro. I too agree that you should work from the super premium and go from there. Every dog is different. Just go for what works best for your dog. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Nutro because it's ridiculously over-priced for its quality. It costs as much as Innova per pound,

Down here in the Redneck South, Innova costs about $1.70 a pound and Nutro costs about 88 cents a pound.

I won't disagree that Innova has good ingredients though not all dogs assimilate them the same way.

• Gold Top Dog
    "natural flavor" in the formula, the exact composition is proprietary.

A mystery ingredient. Not that I'm very concerned about it. Others draw exception at the term poultry fat, as opposed to chicken fat. How many types of poultry are in the human food chain? Most people I know associate poultry with chicken.

"The secret's in the sauce."

• Gold Top Dog
    I'm sure the dog could do well on.

A hypothetical statement.

Anyway, thanks for answering as completely as you did. There are a few things I would draw exception to.

• Gold Top Dog
    "4-D animals" (dead, diseased, disabled, or dying prior to slaughter), turkey, chicken, geese, buzzard, seagulls, misc. roadkill, birds euthanized at shelters and so on

A number of food companies do not allow shipments containing such. That is, they know who their sources are.

As for dried egg "product", I've heard of some raw and BARF recipes that call for adding an egg, shell and all, so as to have the shell for added calcium to balance with the Phosphorous from animal protein.

My dog is not a big fan of eating tomatos or most any vegetable, though he will eat wild pecans and grass. So, if he needs what is in them, then having it balanced in a food is the next best thing. I can leave a carrot on the floor and so will he. But he does like my cajun mashed sweet potatos. The idea that a proper balance achieved just through what occurs naturally is hypothetical and doesn't take into account the varying quality of crops. But, yes, creatures have survived on balance over time. And if a food ingredient is simply there for fiber, that stimulates the GIT, as 100% absorption in any animal is disastrous and is initially a sign of starvation. After the system adjusts, it will eliminate what it doesn't need.

And again, thanks for responding as fully as you did.

• Puppy
    Ron, OT, but how do you make your cajun sweet potatoes ?- they sound good !
    • Gold Top Dog
    I agree with Ron on all of the above.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Chop and boil sweet potatos, as you would regular potatos. Then, mash and I add Brummels and Brown margarine, which is a yogurt-based spread, a little milk, and your favorite cajun seasoning.