Food availability

• Gold Top Dog
    This new food, by Nature is on sale for a pretty good price too (the active is $16.99 for 2-17 lb bags).

This looks like a really great food with the exception of the Menadione. I wonder why they have put so much other good stuff in it, but then use Menadione? Their Organics line also has it
    • Gold Top Dog
    Yeah, I wondered that too, but it says this on Mordanna's page, "I have also received word that Blue Seal Feeds, Inc. will be removing menadione from their [linkBy>http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/productpages/dogmain.htm]By Nature[/link] line of dog food. A follow-up with more details will be posted as soon as they become available."

• Gold Top Dog
    There's gotta be good kibble available in Macon! LOL I live in stinking BRUNSWICK, and I can get good food. There's lots in Savannah, too. I think Macon is bigger than both.  Do you have any chain pet stores? It's been years since I went to Macon.... I didn't get to shop much, while I was there.

You can get Natural Balance at Macon Pets, on northside drive, or Noah's Ark Pet Shop, on Hartley Bridge Road. I don't know if either of those sell puppies or kittens, or whether it'd be ok to shop there, but it's worth checking into....

Macon Pet Resort and Spa, on Northside Drive, carries Natura products (Innova, Evo, California Natural, Healthwise, Karma Organics).

Any one of those stores probably carries other good brands of food. I couldn't think of any more to foods to look for, off of the top of my head (I looked for Eagle Pack, Timberwolf, and Canidae's site wouldn't load...). Any food you can think of has a website with a store locator, so you can pick one,  and see if it's available. If not, you can have it shipped.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Lots  of good foods in the Atlanta area.  I like Natural Balance so I just go to one of the Petcos near my home. 

• Gold Top Dog
    I found some stores - note that many of these stores will probably also stock other premium foods - I'd just call and see what they''ve got.

Eagle Pack lists Pet Playland at this address: 105 Bethlehem Road
    Locust Grove , GA 30248
    as a source for their products.

Innova lists this store as a source for their products:
    Macon Pet Resort & Spa
    Located at:
    4010 Northside Drive
    Macon, GA 31210
    USA

Canidae is available at this store (but I don't know whether it sells puppies):

Pets Unlimited [align=right] Address:
    4446 Forsyth Rd [align=right] City:
    Macon [align=right] State:
    GA [align=right] Zip:
    31210 [align=right] Phone:
    478 475-5624
    • Gold Top Dog
    Um, not to hijack thread, but I have been attempting to google this brand of dog food TWO, and am coming up with nothing.

(Not the best choice of name in this search engine age...)
    • Gold Top Dog
    try "TImberwolf Organics"
    • Gold Top Dog
    I feel your pain...but I see someone has already pointed you towards a source for Innova.  You all wouldn't believe how bad the dog food situation is around here.  Forget the Farm Supply stores... The law of supply and demand seems to demand Old Roy.   PetsMart is now carrying Blue Buffalo, which is pretty good food.

But I agree in having your pup checked out by a Vet.  There could be something else going on.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: brookcove

I found some stores - note that many of these stores will probably also stock other premium foods - I'd just call and see what they''ve got.

Eagle Pack lists Pet Playland at this address: 105 Bethlehem Road
    Locust Grove , GA 30248
    as a source for their products.

Innova lists this store as a source for their products:
    Macon Pet Resort & Spa
    Located at:
    4010 Northside Drive
    Macon, GA 31210
    USA

Canidae is available at this store (but I don't know whether it sells puppies):

Pets Unlimited [align=right] Address:
    4446 Forsyth Rd [align=right] City:
    Macon [align=right] State:
    GA [align=right] Zip:
    31210 [align=right] Phone:
    478 475-5624

Pet's Unlimited sells puppies.  I wouldn't give them a dime.....
    • Gold Top Dog
    Wow, thanks again for all of the replies and info, guys! This place is great![:D]

No, I haven't had a thyroid panel done on him. To be honest, I never even considered that this could be related to anything other than diet(can you tell I'm dumb about dog health?[8|]), especially since the changes occured over the course of switching him to raw.

A year after I got him he ended up with heartworm (yes, he's on prevention) and the vets pretty much wrote him off- none in my area even wanted to bother trying to treat him and most considered him so far gone that they advised us to euthanize. We finally took him to Auburn Vet school and after an $800 treatment (my parents took care of it, so I'm not sure exactly what was done to him) he lived. His heart took a pretty huge blow though, and he's never had the stamina that he had before. Any exercise he gets can't be *too* vigorous since he just can't handle it. We play in the backyard and I take him around the block a few times, but he really can't handle anything more than that- heck, sometimes even that tiny workout is enough that I practically have to carry him home at times. Before heartworm, he could go all day and hardly stop to pant.  

So because of all this, his weight became a problem. He was still a beautful dog, shiny and muscular and healthy, he just tended to chub a little. He was never really horribly obese.

None of the negative changes occured until I switched him to raw. I'm going to go to some local stores today and see exactly what they have (thanks brookecove, for looking those places up for me) and I'll try to find a decent kibble for him. I'm going to try him on something chicken-free for a week or two and see if there's any improvement, and if not I'll look into having a thyroid panel done and anything else the vet think might help.

Honestly, the reason I don't just go ahead and have one done is because SDA (a rat specific virus that kills through secondary infections) hit my rattery about a week ago  and I've spent well over $500 in the past week on antibiotics and various other things for my 35 rats.  I know how important it is to have money for vet care- I keep a vet fund that usually has enough for anything I need, but this really was a crisis situation and I'm pretty much cleaned out at the moment. So, if a change in diet doesn't help him, I'll definitely have some tests run to see what the problem is, it'll just take me a bit to get my finances back where they were. I run a rat forum, and believe me, I'm one of the first to get onto people for not ;planning ahead for vet care, but I have- this recent thing was an unusual circumstance and it's pretty much cleaned me out. I'm really, really hoping this is as simple as a chicken allergy or some other dietary problem.

As for the fatty tumors, yes, a vet has seen him for it. I recently moved to Macon from Columbus (just got married and got out of my parent's house) and I was never, EVER happy with the vets in columbus. My various animals have been to virtually every vet there, and they never seem to know what they're doing- they hate to run tests, hate to do ANYTHING more invasive than a spay or neuter- maybe it's just been my experience, but they seem totally lazy, apathetic, and inept. No matter what my concerns were, they never seemed to know what I was talking about or care,  and they were totally dismissive to everything, as was the case when Axl had heartworm ("Just put him to sleep/don't know what's wrong with him, probably a liver problem/there's no telling/he's sick, just put him down.") I really think it's because columbus is about 45 minutes from the Auburn vet school. The vets in columbus were happy to do routine spays and neuters and vaccinations, maybe set a broken bone, and anything else they would honestly just shrug and reccomend euthanasia for. It took ALOT of persistance and prodding to get them to finally refer me to Auburn, and because of the distance, and their insane prices, going to Auburn was pretty much reserved for emergencies. (Again, this was when I was a teenager and not in control of the dogs/finances. They were the family dogs. I could complain a little, but ultimately I had no real say.) Anyway, my point is, I've never been able to get a real answer about his lumps. I took him to three different vets, and they all just shrugged and said "fatty tumor. We'll look into it if it gets any bigger." No needle biopsies, nothing. They don't seem to bother him, he's had them for a couple of years now, but I'd still like a real answer on them. Like I said, I've just moved to Macon and haven't found a vet that I really liked yet and haven't been here long enough to establish a real relationship with one. In about a month or so my vet fund should have recovered and I'll be able to have his lumps really looked into.

Here's a few pics of him just before I switched him to raw:

He was fat, but he was shiny and healthy and fairly energetic and happy. The happy dog smile in these pictures? I haven't seen him make that face in months. He just seems so miserable.

Here are some from earlier today, after a few months on raw. I dunno, maybe you have to see him in person to tell the difference. I'll post them anyway:

The protruding lump on the lower part of his belly is the main one that concerns me, and the only one of that type that he has. It hasn't grown at all, , it's really soft, and it doesn't seem to be painful at all.

Here's one of his broken/filed canines. All four of them are this way:

And here are some of the warts/tumors that have been on him since we got him:

They're really small, and he has several.

So I hope no one thinks me horribly irresponsible- up until August, he was a family dog, more my parent's than mine, and I had very little say in what they did with him. Now that he's officially mine, I plan on getting all of his little problems worked out, it's just going to take me a bit to replenish the vet fund.

Sorry for writing a novel...you guys are seem nice and knowledgeable and I hope you'll have a bit more insight into his problems than I do. I know ultimately though, he needs to see the vet and that's on the list of urgent things to do.

• Gold Top Dog
    Just a tip, when your posting pics it need to be in lowercase for it to work [;)]  It's kinda silly but thats how it works on this forum.

Thoes are some great shot of your dog!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Aww, he's a good looking boy!

If you haven't found a Vet, may I suggest Riverside Animal Clinic?  I'm just south of Macon and had to take one of my dogs there for an ultrasound a couple months ago.  I was very impressed with the lady doctor I saw (sorry, can't remember her name).  She was very caring and knowledgable.
    • Gold Top Dog
    He is just so adorable!!!!

I hope you've trimmed his toenails, though. Them being so long could be a part of why he's not up for much exercise. That's uncomfortable, for them.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Heh, yeah, I figured someone would comment on his toenails. [:D]

I've been struggling with his nails for YEARS. They're incredibly thick and most nail clippers cause his nails to crack and bleed. I finally found some that work, but he has a really long quick so I'm working on getting his quick down. I'm probably going to break down and get a dremmel soon.

I got him some Canidae today, so I'm going to try him on it and see how he does. If he improves on it I'll probably get some Innova next month, see how he does, and then use whichever he does better on. If he does well on both I may rotate them from month to month.

But yeah, I've been working on his nails for a while. I know they look awful. [:'(] 
    • Gold Top Dog
    I finally found some that work, but he has a really long quick so I'm working on getting his quick down. I'm probably going to break down and get a dremmel soon.

I'm glad to hear[:D] As a pet groomer, that's usually the first thing I notice. I think you'll like the Dremel. I got the cheapest one they have at Walmart ($20, blue, cordless), and it's fantastic! I do my dogs' nails 2-3 times  a week, with it, and it's held up very, very well. It's rechargeable, so I'm not having to buy batteries.

I hope he likes the new food, and does well with it. I know it can be interesting (to say the least) to find something available, tolerable, and good quality...