Expensive versus cheap dog food.

• Gold Top Dog

True.  I know in the food I feed the stuff is cold form processed.  How, not sure, but I figure that's got to better than blasting it with heat.

• Gold Top Dog

My oldest cat was a Science Diet/Purina cat for the first 13 years of her life. She now has cancer (a giant tumor in her mouth). I don't know if the two are related, by any means - but it is not a risk I'm willing to take again.

The house eat Blue. 

• Gold Top Dog

I read all the comments with great interest and learned a few things. I have some solid science answers, in case my dog develops any symptoms of allergy or intestinal distress. One thing I didn't want to do was start a discussion that comes down to dog food snobs. The comment that intimated that a person must be pretty hard up for cash to feed anything less than the high priced foods infuriated me. I was just trying to gather information, not get dumped on by someone that is not as "hard up" as I am.

This is a very interesting mix of people. I still enjoy the forum.

Thanks for the feed back.

• Gold Top Dog

I didn't see that as a snobby remark.  Some people feed what the dog does well on, even if it is a cheaper food, some feed the most expensive/high quality they can afford, thinking it stacks the odds in the dog's favour healthwise.  It takes all sorts.

• Bronze

edictben1
    The comment that intimated that a person must be pretty hard up for cash to feed anything less than the high priced foods infuriated me.

If you're referring to what I posted, then I'm sorry for the confusion.  I wasn't referring to you at all.  I was referring solely to what I would do.  FWIW, there are several "high priced" foods that I'd never feed.  They have ingredients I don't like or the manufacturer has had too many quality control issues for my liking, etc.  I look at a lot more than just price.

• Bronze

No problem, Myra. I had just come back from the dentist after a root canal and prep for a crown. 2 hours in the chair didn't do my sensitivity much good. I'll try not to take anything personal, from now on. I'm not great a photography, but if anyone reading this thread can point me to where you get those neat frames for your dog photos in your signatures, I would be grateful. I'd like to put in my present best pal and several of my "past pals". I know what you all must be thinking, after this long discussion and NO my past pals didn't croak from eating the wrong dog food.Big Smile Hip displasia on one and old age on the otherStorm. I miss them a lot, but Zac fills my days with delight!

• Gold Top Dog

those are just plain pics of your dog that some of the folks put in fancy photo-shop type stuff.  There is a thread in General Chat (I think) where you can ask and one of them will help you do one. 

• Gold Top Dog

You can put your request for a custom siggy pic here:   http://community.dog.com/forums/p/76977/824999.aspx#824999

Candace has been doing them lately when she has time and is in the mood.  Oh, don't call her Candace.  She's going by Jezabel these days.....lol

• Gold Top Dog

shamrockmommy

I, too would have to be pretty poor to get into purina/iams, etc. 

Cheapest Purina or Iams versions are actually not that cheap.  I don't give my lab anything with corn or wheat because he would be scratching and also chewing his paws nonstop.

I am just thankful that money is not an issue for my family. However, just because money is not an issue for us, it does not mean we spend money frivously.  It is quite the opposite.  I buy things we need when they are on sale.  I use coupons and etc.  

When it comes to dry dog food, the same philosophy applies....what is on sale?  Luckily, I have my research and found a list of stores on the way home from my work.  When it comes to dry food, my limit is up to $40 (preferably including tax) per 30lb -- which lasts (with supplements)about two months for my 80lb lab. My lab has eaten the following (supplemented with raw meaty bones, canned sardines/salmon, egg yolks, etc.):

(1) Blue Buffalo (any formula - adult or puppy) at $36.99 per 30lb bag,

(2) Nature's Variety Praire (chicken or beef formula) at $31.99 per 30lb bag

(3) California Natural (any adult formula) at $37.99 per 30 lb bag

(4) Natural Balance (Lamb and Rice formula) at $28.99 per 28lb bag

(5) last resort................... Costco Kirkland brand (any formula) at less than $25 per 40lb bag

I guess, for those of us who live in bigger city, we have more choices so long as we are willing to spend sometime looking around for the best prices and plan for the trip so that we don't spend more money on gas.

• Gold Top Dog

Oppps.  I sure hope I don't fit into the "food snob" category.

I've certainly fed cheaper foods over the years, but I now look back at my cockers and shake my head (sadly) wishing that I had known then what I know now about the foods.

I think often when people use the "cheap" foods they don't fully understand the real cost of doing so in terms of more fed, more "passed" to clean up, less than optimal health and the increased vet costs, etc.

Just for the record, my DH and I both lost our jobs and went a year and a half without either of us having a full time job.  We lived, with six german shepherds, and two cats, in our RV for well over a year.  And, I'm old enough that pinching pennies is something I grew up doing.  My parents experienced the Depression first hand and lots of stuff got passed down about frugality. 

That, by way of clearing up any comments that I may have made that sounded on the snobbish side..... 

• Gold Top Dog

glenmar

I think often when people use the "cheap" foods they don't fully understand the real cost of doing so in terms of more fed, more "passed" to clean up, less than optimal health and the increased vet costs, etc.

Thats a very true statement and to be thought about regardless what food you are feeding.   Over the years have come to realize that some food just don't always work for some dogs that works for others....sometimes two or more dogs in the same house can't eat the same food.  And that is also true for some premium brands.   If the dog is leaving more food per day then he is eating....then its not good.  And of course if you find yourself taking your dog to the vet all the time for illness, then its time to look at their food. 

I brought up a bully type dog on food like Gainsburgers.....she lived to about 15 yrs. old and other than a UTI and vaccinations and HW test....she never had to go to the vet.     But I'm sure there were others that might not have been so lucky.     At that time I had 2 young kids, 2 dogs (the other was a giant breed, which was on BilJac Frozen which was considered really good and expensive back then...but Cindy had a sensitive tummy) and I didn't work at all....... I got coupons out of the paper for dog food and bought it on sale besides.  It worked well.  And we were lucky.  But I would start with the best that YOU can afford....and work from there, watching carefully how the dog is doing.

For me...food is everything.....EXCEPT...I also want to make sure I can afford their health care.

• Gold Top Dog
    I've been feeding my dog the "higher end" (but more unknown) brands for the past 5 years. He's 12 years old and is still very lively on these foods. There was a point where I was in a pinch and went back to Pro Plan for about a month. I don't know if there's a link, but during that period on Pro Plan he became very lethargic. I went back to the other brands (Innova, Canidae, etc.) and he perked right up again.
    • Gold Top Dog

For me, "high end" vs. "low end" dog food is like the difference between eating your traditional elementary school cafeteria lunch or a "lunchables" pack and eating a pre-packaged lunch from a more high end source, like Whole Foods, or Trader Joe's, or a local deli/restaurant. Both are nutritional. Both will fill your stomach and give you energy. But even though eating rubbery chicken nuggets and canned green beans will supply nutrition and fuel for young children, wouldn't we all agree it's better to have a more "high end" alternative, like roast chicken and carrot sticks?

I'm not a food snob. I certainly think that if a dog is doing very well on whatever it's eating, then that's what's most important. I don't feed my dog raw (though I tried briefly), and I don't home cook for my dog. However, if I'm going to feed him kibble (which I already consider a sort of mid-to-low-grade food source, along the lines of military "meals ready to eat" (MRE) packs), I want him to have the best kibble possible for his (and my) particular needs. For some dogs that *may* be something like Science Diet (especially their prescription foods), but I do think for most dogs it's the higher end brands, like Innova, or Wellness, or Blue Buffalo, or Natural Balance, or one of the many many similar options.

In the end what's most important is that the dog is happy and healthy, and that the food he is eating is contributing to his well-being. For me, I also want the peace of mind of knowing I'm doing everything possible to keep him happy and healthy, including feeding him the best possible food. Since he's pretty much eating the exact same thing every day, it's important for me to have that one thing be really top quality. Plus, most of the time the price difference between the "bad stuff" and the "good stuff" is pretty darn small, especially if you shop around.

• Gold Top Dog

Plus, most of the time the price difference between the "bad stuff" and the "good stuff" is pretty darn small, especially if you shop around.

Yep....thats true now.   Although unless we're talking grocery store food with coupons..... but in my neck of the woods it is less expensive to buy Natural Balance  than Eagle Pack ( now called Holistic Select ) by over $10 a bag....and thats a lot.  Thats also true of Blue and Wellness.  

Right now I am spending a lot more money on home cooking...giving him the same meat right now ( chicken ) because I want to be sure of what might be bothering him before adding different.....but mixing up different veggies and some grains beacause he eats a lot and is skinny.....and I don't feel half as confident in the nutrients he is getting compared to even a low end food.

• Gold Top Dog

slightly off topic...but wow on the prices you listed Niko...!!

here, 

Blue Buffalo runs 49.99 for the 30 lb bag

& Natural Balance i feed the duck & Potato 30 lb its 52.99, i believe the lamb & rice is 2-3 dollars cheaper..