high fiber recommendations for anal gland problems

• Bronze

Hi Gypsy,

I'm glad you found my comments useful. 

As to pics ... my signature shows a recent, small one of my two guys sharing a snoozing spot. Otherwise, my poodles kept their own blog with lots of photos - but they're soooo lazy *g* and don't update regularly. The blog will be taken down in a couple of weeks - so I guess last chance to see it at fussypoodle.org .

• Bronze

oylin

What brand of Lactobacillus acidopilus probiotic powder would you recommend?  I'm adding 1/2 of recommended doses of the following to my boy's diets: Prozme, Solid Gold Seameal and Seacure (hydrolyzed white fish) for few months, not much help.

Thank you! 

Hi oylin (sorry don't know your name ...)

Those are all products I have heard good things about (haven't had an opportunity to try them though) - the Prozyme is  a digestive enzyme (i.e. a prebiotic).

A probiotic is recommended in particular after a course of antibiotics (which your poodle has had, I think). The ABs usually destroy the good together with the bad bacteria throughout the intestinal tract; the probiotic will put the good guys back.

I'm not overly familiar with the different probiotic brands and products available on the North American market (I live in New Zealand). Having given that disclaimer, I have heard the following mentioned often as a good and reliable brand:

NOW Foods have several Acidophilus products, including a stabilized one :
    http://www.nowfoods.com/index.php?action=itemdetail&item_id=2879

The important thing is to choose one that counts bacteria in the billions (not just millions) per serving - usually this is clearly stated on the label.

Personally, I like to use the Acidophilus from Monica Segal (monicasegal.com).

A question: is your boy a toy or mini poodle?

• Gold Top Dog
    hi, this is the original poster here. thanks to everyone for all their tips - they are all very helpful. after reading that someone had AG issues with innova, i switched my little guy's food to avoderm puppy, which has a fiber content of 4.0%, which is slightly higher. has any one had experience with avoderm? so far his poops have been pretty firm, so we'll see how it goes.. i'll also add more veggies, and try pumpkin and also natures variety raw medallions if that doesn't work. by the way, my boy is a toy poodle. i should post a picture.. thanks again!
    • Bronze

noodle
    after reading that someone had AG issues with innova, i switched my little guy's food to avoderm puppy, which has a fiber content of 4.0%, which is slightly higher. has any one had experience with avoderm? so far his poops have been pretty firm, so we'll see how it goes..

The figures quoted for fiber in the Guaranteed Analysis for dog foods are only ever the "maximum" - so there's no way of knowing exactly what the true figure is. 

However, given that your guy's poops have been firm so far (yippee), and that the Avoderm formula incorporates 4 sources of fiber (Rice Bran, Oat Bran, Flax Seed, Alfalfa Meal) reasonably high up in the ingredients listing, my guess would be that the fiber content will be close to 4%.

But in the end, figures only tell us so much ... the proof is in the pudding - i.e. how a food works with the individual dog.
    Sounds like you may have found one that works!

I don't have a lot of experience with Avoderm. I've got a bag sitting here gathering dust ... it's the Lamb & Rice oven-baked formula, and my guys don't care much for it. 

• Gold Top Dog

FussyPoodles

Hi Gypsy,

I'm glad you found my comments useful. 

As to pics ... my signature shows a recent, small one of my two guys sharing a snoozing spot. Otherwise, my poodles kept their own blog with lots of photos - but they're soooo lazy *g* and don't update regularly. The blog will be taken down in a couple of weeks - so I guess last chance to see it at fussypoodle.org .

Thank you.  Big Smile  Your boys are sooo cute.

noodle
    hi, this is the original poster here. thanks to everyone for all their tips - they are all very helpful. after reading that someone had AG issues with innova, i switched my little guy's food to avoderm puppy, which has a fiber content of 4.0%, which is slightly higher. has any one had experience with avoderm? so far his poops have been pretty firm, so we'll see how it goes.. i'll also add more veggies, and try pumpkin and also natures variety raw medallions if that doesn't work. by the way, my boy is a toy poodle. i should post a picture.. thanks again!

I hope the Avoderm works out for you!

• Gold Top Dog

FussyPoodles
    A probiotic is recommended in particular after a course of antibiotics (which your poodle has had, I think). The ABs usually destroy the good together with the bad bacteria throughout the intestinal tract; the probiotic will put the good guys back.

Hi Britta,

Thank you for your explanation of the use of probiotic.  My boy (a five-year-old Pekingese) has not had any antibiotics.  I just use Prozyme as digestive supplement only to help him to absorb the nutrients from his diets.  I have heard that using enzyme too long is not good, so I don't know if I should continue adding it to his meals.  

I will check out the Acidophilus you have mentioned.  And please forgive me if I have made any grammatical and vocabulary error.  My English is limited.

Aileen (Oylin) 

• Bronze

oylin

Hi Britta,

Thank you for your explanation of the use of probiotic.  My boy (a five-year-old Pekingese) has not had any antibiotics.

I'm sorry, my mistake. Somehow I got your Peke and noodle's toy poodle muddled ... a senior moment. Embarrassed 

I just use Prozyme as digestive supplement only to help him to absorb the nutrients from his diets.  I have heard that using enzyme too long is not good, so I don't know if I should continue adding it to his meals.

I'm not aware that prolonged use of digestive enzymes is in any way detrimental ... but if you're at all concerned, maybe discuss it with your vet?

My take on dig. enzymes is this: If you notice that your dog benefits (better digestion/absorption, better stools), then I would use them. If you stop giving them for a period, and notice no difference ... then maybe they aren't needed.

Basically, the pancreas does the main job of releasing the correct type and amount of enzymes for food breakdown. If the pancreas is a bit weak, or compromised through illness, then enzyme production may be compromised too. It is particularly in these cases that extra digestive enzymes bring benefits. That's my understanding of the issue ... I'm not a vet or expert - so if you have any doubts, a chat with your vet would be the best thing. 

I will check out the Acidophilus you have mentioned.  And please forgive me if I have made any grammatical and vocabulary error.  My English is limited.

Aileen (Oylin) 

No need to apologise, Aileen - I would never have guessed that English wasn't your first language !

• Gold Top Dog

I didn't see this mentioned, so I'll just throw it out for consideration. My Basset had anal gland problems, secondary to perianal fistulas. My vet had me add a tsp of metamucil to her dinner every night. We did this for years.

She was on a soupy homemade kidney diet, so I assume that satisfied the requirement of making sure there was enough water with the fiber (although with the kidney problem, enough water was never an issue...)

• Bronze

Veronica's Mom

I didn't see this mentioned, so I'll just throw it out for consideration. My Basset had anal gland problems, secondary to perianal fistulas. My vet had me add a tsp of metamucil to her dinner every night. We did this for years.

I did actually mention psyllium Smile  as one fiber option. Metamucil is just psyllium basically.

I know of many dogs for whom psyllium works very well; although as you mention it requires a diet with good moisture  content, such as a home-cooked diet or canned.

For my dogs, sadly, psyllium does the opposite to firming the stools. Sad 

• Gold Top Dog

My dogs have the same "reverse reaction" to pumpkin!  Crying

My anal gland problem boy has done well with psyllium husks and arabinogalactan powder and probiotics.  It wasn't until the addition of the powder that I really started to see a noticeable improvement. 

• Bronze

I hadn't heard of arabinogalactan before ... it sounds very interesting!

Is there a particular product you use and can recommend?

• Gold Top Dog

I'm new so I hope this is okay.  This is the brand I use, there's a link so you can find a vet near you. 

http://www.vetriscience.com/arabinogalactan-powder.php

A vet recommended it, but I also have student access to alot of medical and veterinary journals and found that it's pretty amazing stuff.  They even recommend it for human cancer patients.  It stimulates the immune system (which I think helps keep my dogs anal glands from getting stirred up).

I ordered direct from Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Vetri-Science-Arabinogalactan-Powder-100-gm/dp/B000IZRXMK/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&m=A1KV49W6ALVUD5&s=home-garden&qid=1200344146&sr=1-18

**Please delete if not allowed, I'm not a vet nor affiliated with any of these providers**

• Bronze

Thank you for those links! I will talk to my vet about it and see if I can get hold of some. It certainly sounds like marvellous stuff.

I also found your comment about a possible connection between the immune system and anal gland problems really interesting, since my dogs definitely have weakened immune systems. 

• Gold Top Dog

You're welcome.  Most of what I'd been doing with Woobie was aimed at bulking and firming up his stools and addressing his food allergies.  I did have some success giving him antihistimines from the vet but didn't like using pharmaceuticals if there was something more nutrition or food based I could use.  Using alot of anti-inflammatory supplements had helped along with fiber and Hill's z/d but the really big improvement (as in, he COMPLETELY ignores his backside now) came with the addition of the powder, so I'm sold.  Good luck with your pups!

• Puppy

Is this something that happens in little dogs only? I had my Tundra at the vet and the anal glands were secreted and seems now he is starting the symptoms again. The only problem is he 92lbs and hard to go to vet once a month for the glands to be secreted