New Recall Sensible Choice and Kasco Dry Foods

• Gold Top Dog

New Recall Sensible Choice and Kasco Dry Foods

[linkhttp://www.itchmo.com/read/royal-canin-usa-recall_20070511]NEW RECALL: Royal Canin USA Recalls Sensible Choice and Kasco Dry Foods[/link]May 11th, 2007

Royal Canin USA is recalling eight Sensible Choice dry dog food products and seven Kasco dry dog and cat food products. Royal Canin states small traces of melamine were found in the rice protein concentrate provided by Cereal Byproducts. This supplier received food marked as rice protein concentrate from the same source as Wilbur-Ellis.
    This confirms today is Friday.
    The full [linkhttp://www.itchmo.com/www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/05-11-2007/0004586761&EDATE]press release[/link] after the jump.

The following eight Sensible Choice dry dog food products and seven
    Kasco dry dog and cat food products with date codes between July 28, 2006
    to April 30, 2007 are being voluntarily recalled:
    SENSIBLE CHOICE(R) (available in pet specialty stores nationwide)
    SENSIBLE CHOICE(R) Chicken and Rice Adult (Dry Dog Food)
    SENSIBLE CHOICE(R) Chicken and Rice Reduced (Dry Dog Food)
    SENSIBLE CHOICE(R) Lamb and Rice Reduced (Dry Dog Food)
    SENSIBLE CHOICE(R) Chicken and Rice Puppy (Dry Dog Food)
    SENSIBLE CHOICE(R) Chicken and Rice Large Breed Puppy (Dry Dog Food)
    SENSIBLE CHOICE(R) NATURAL BLEND Adult (Dry Dog Food)
    SENSIBLE CHOICE(R) NATURAL BLEND Senior (Dry Dog Food)
    SENSIBLE CHOICE(R) NATURAL BLEND Puppy (Dry Dog Food)
    KASCO(R) (available in pet specialty stores nationwide)
    KASCO(R) Chunks (Dry Dog Food)
    KASCO(R) Hi Energy (Dry Dog Food)
    KASCO(R) Maintenance (Dry Dog Food)
    KASCO(R) Mealettes (Dry Dog Food)
    KASCO(R) Mini Chunks (Dry Dog Food)
    KASCO(R) Puppy (Dry Dog Food)
    KASCO(R) Cat (Dry Cat Food)

[linkhttp://www.itchmo.com]www.itchmo.com[/link]

edited to add

UPDATE: Since issuing the release, RC updated the date codes involved. The new info is: “products with Best By date codes between July 28, 2007 to April 30, 2008 are being voluntarily recalled.”
    • Gold Top Dog
    Damn, it never ends does it!  Thanks.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Which is why we've been telling our clients not to use foods from any of the affected companies, in case some of their other products come up on the list.  The question is no longer "what's in it?", but "where are your ingredients sourced from"?
    Grain free, grown and manufactured in a sole company plant is safest if you are feeding kibbled food and want to continue.  IMO, this will go further.  The first recall was when?  And, yet we are still getting "updates".  These companies were busy trying to save their skins, why weren't they testing every morsel the first day???
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm sure this is a cross contamination thing,,,,but that has been known for a week or so now.....so it does seem that we should have been alerted before now on this.
    • Puppy
    You better believe all these companies are busy saving their asses and not worried about their pet customers. They knew from the very beginning where there food  ingredients are coming from. I would check ROYAL CANIN'S site everyday and they would boast  WE ARE NOT RECALLED FOOD WE ARE NOT ON THE LIST!! But what they failed to say we haven't admitted to it yet, today they did!!
    One of my standard poodles got sick last week, I suspected so I immediately changed brands but still was thinking I am probably over reacting but no harm done. So I look up Flint River Ranch and order the samples to see how my standards react to it because they are getting fussy about their dinners, they were trying to tell me hey, mom somethings wrong with this Royal Canin. But I keep checking their website, all is cool! My 1 y/o gets sick enough to go to the vet. They ask me if  they got some of the recalled food, I said no. So we just treated her with her gastritis and diareaha and vomiting. Kidney tests show damage, her blood pressure is elevated. She has a UTI. She is on lots of med, $300.00 worth.
    So TODAY, ROYAL CANIN ADMITS to their tainted "sensible blend" "natural choice"! Great names huh? That should be great food right? Sold me on it! Vet says she is going to make it, caught it in time but, he said she will have permanent kidney damage and her life span has been shortened.
    DAMN ROYAL CANIN!!!  Every one of those "high premium" companies are a farse! "high dollar" is all I have to say about them!!
    I advise to do what I did and sign up to be on FDA recall list they email you every recall there is. I was advised by them before ROYAL CANIN coughed up the news. Do you think they care?? Get on the list people.

• Gold Top Dog
    A lot has hit the fan since all this started.  Companies that claimed their made their own food--and then had to recall their food that was made in other plants.  Companies that claimed they  only used American products, then had to recall because wheat from China was used.  I don't trust any of them. 

My opinion of these companies and 99.9% of all companies as far as that goes--they get caught with their pants down and try to cover up with a fig leaf, but eventaully even that disintergrates and they are left bare to the public.  I agree, $$$$$is the first line, middle line and bottom line.  I learned that when I lost my 4 year old golden retriever to that 6 month heartworm preventation injection that was suppose to be so safe...yeah, so safe the FDA had them pull it 10 months after my Hunter's death because of so many deaths and adverse reactions.  But the company was still crying their innocense.
    • Gold Top Dog
    [font="microsoft sans serif"][size=2]DAMN ROYAL CANIN!!!  Every one of those "high premium" companies are a farse! "high dollar" is all I have to say about them!!
    [/size][/font]
    I think there is a few companies that are high premium that are working hard to keep our pets healthy... but I'm not sure I consider Royal Canin one of the best companies to begin with.  Many of the quality companies do make their own dry food.. hardly any of them make their own canned.  I bet they will start after this though.

Pet Connection and Itcmo seem to  know these recalls even before FDA puts them out. Even though its blogs, and not cut and dried...at least you know first hand what is going on. I've been on their alerts since the beginning.
    Seriously...I'm not positive that I think the FDA is working very hard in our favor either. Whether it be that they are understaffed or just don't have the funds.

• Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Loripoo
    You better believe all these companies are busy saving their asses and not worried about their pet customers. They knew from the very beginning where there food  ingredients are coming from. 

Every one of those "high premium" companies are a farse! "high dollar" is all I have to say about them!!

Do you think they care?? Get on the list people.

Very sorry to read your dog has gotten sick and hope she gets well soon.  I can understand your sentiment toward the "high premium" being a farce.  To me the biggest farce is the fruit, vegetable and plant matter so commonly found in many of these feeds.  However, I can think of one company anyway that does have a genuine concern for the dogs (and cats), and structures a feed very safe and effective.  The company focus is carnivore-targeted feeding which is very low carb, extremely low fiber, high cals from animal source proteins and fats.  The name is of course The Robert Abady Dog Food CO.  Now, the Flint River Ranch you mentioned talks a good game about carnivore feeding, their reading materials reflect that, but unfortunately the ingredients list does not.  When you research the Abady literature, some found at their website, you can be rest assured the ingredients reflects that of a carnivore feeding program.  I can't think of any other company giving you the best their is in fat, from a pig called pork fat, and calling it like it is "LARD" in the ingredients list.  You know why, because the health of the animal comes first, not what someone#%92s feelings are or thinks about a certain ingredient.  Like I said, FFR talks a good game, but a company like Abady backs what it says in its ingredients.  I therefore must respectfully disagree with one thing you said, not all are a farce, just 99%.  You cannot do any better commercially unless you know what you're doing and can home-prepare and supplement with vitamins.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Loripoo,

I am so sorry about your dog.  I encourage you to join the yahoo goup k9kidney and they can teach you things about phosphorus levels and such to keep your dog feeling better for a longer time.  Again, I am sorry this has happened.