Agility Labs?

• Silver

Agility Labs?

Does anybody have Labs that do Agility? I have an 8yr. old who does, but just for fun in my backyard, and then a registered puppy who I'll soon be training to compete.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I don't have labs, but I know of several people that do in my classes.  They all seem to do really well.
    • Gold Top Dog

ORIGINAL: tashakota

I don't have labs, but I know of several people that do in my classes. They all seem to do really well.

Ditto! [:D] (Except that I do actually have a lab, but she doesn't do agility)
    • Gold Top Dog
    We used to.  Of course she was retired after we found out she had severe CHD.
    • Gold Top Dog
    See several labs in agility. A friend used to run her lab before it tore its ACL.  There's another lab mix in my club.  Much smaller and leaner than some of hte fat show bred ones, so this one is FAST and does such an awesome job!

Labs sure can make wonderful agility dogs. :)
    • Silver
    I know! I hate to see fat Labs at dog shows. I bet there are non-Lab owning people who think all Labs are fat! Labs are actually really agile. I'm planning on showing my new pup Craven's Black Magnum (Magnum for short). He has everything a Lab is supposed to have(standard wise).People must think that a fat Lab helps to make its chest more "barrel shaped". I really don't know, but trust me Magnum won't be pudgy if he's in Agility!
    • Gold Top Dog
    We are preparing our lab for agility. She will be 4 in May, and we plan to do some events but mostly for fun. Belle is quite athletic for a BIG lab. We have gotten her weight down, she has lost over 25 lbs since last summer (115 > 86 [:D]). She contracted kennel cough and during her "lay up" she got FAT. They don't call them "flabs" for nothing. We went just this weekend to watch our first agility event. Belle is an introvert, and she has mentally shut down in other competitions, so we are taking her and making them positive experiences before we start showing.

It was fun. I thought I was a horrible (inexperienced) handler. Watching the "excellent" division at this event, the handlers didn't look so "excellent" to me. So it put everything in perspective for me. Not that I expect to be wonderful, I am novice but to be able to see the mistakes makes me realize we are all human! I saw some good things too but every trip I saw there were pretty major mistakes. This was a local event, so I am sure the "good" handlers are out there. I am glad I didn't see them. I probably would never compete.

Our golden pup starts agility on Thursday! I am hoping since she is so young and immature, my handling skills will improve and help out Belle.
    • Gold Top Dog
    As a beginner agility instructor, I can personally say that Labs can do very well - but you must keep them thin and in shape.  Currently I am working with a wonderful 2 year old male that is fantastic - he has a lot of energy, jumps very well, takes direction, etc.  A great many Labs get too fat and lazy to jump - and that is the biggest drawback for agility competition - they tire easily and will put too much pressure on their joints.  Keep your dog thin and well exercised and enjoy the sport - I sure did when I was competing with my Sheltie (Rainbow Bridge).

Dianeg
    • Silver
    Trust me I WILL! I spend at least an hour-2 hours with my dogs, training and playing. He won't be fat!![:D][:)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    One of the instructors at Fit 'n' Trim Sport Dog Training here in MA has a Lab that does agility, and just started competing this year:
    http://www.fit-n-trimdogagility.com/index.html
    Here's her picture doing it:
    http://www.ledgehill-labs.com/Agility.htm

• Silver
    That is an good example of a fit and trim Laab. I wish all Labs looked like that, including the show Labs. Labs were bred to be "working" dogs, with lots of endurance for those days retrieving in the frigid ,Newfoundland waters![&:]
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: labradorretriever

That is an good example of a fit and trim Laab. I wish all Labs looked like that, including the show Labs. Labs were bred to be "working" dogs, with lots of endurance for those days retrieving in the frigid ,Newfoundland waters![&:]

Well, the girl that owns that one is a trainer, and understands fitness, holistic health and the nature of working dogs.  [:)]
    • Silver
    I wish all Lab owners did!
    • Puppy

3 of my labs have done agaility for fun and confidence building at My Dogs Place in Mystic, CT with Bea (http://www.mydogsplace.com). They love it! My labs stay fit and trim. You can check them out currently at http://www.dogster.com/family/221417, while I build my community.dog.com page.

Lab owners need to monitor their labs weight, and watch what they are feeding them, because if not fed and excercised properly, like any human or other dog, they will put on the pounds.

I love what I am reading about people who are keeping their pups fit and trim.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Agility Labs Rule!

Oh yeah, check out Flyball also, that's fun as well!

• Gold Top Dog

I have a black field lab (nice and trim and athletic!) who does agility and loves it.  He ROCKS the weave poles!