Lure Coursing for non-sighthounds?

• Silver

Lure Coursing for non-sighthounds?

My friend has a Sheltie and would like to get her into Lure Coursing. She seems interested in it, whereas she is tired of Obedience, doesn't like Agility and not into Flyball.

As far as I know only sighthounds are permitted to Lure Course, but someone told me that occasionally other breeds are permitted during practice-depending upon the club.
    Any thoughts or info on this? Thanks!

• Gold Top Dog
    First find a sight hound group that has a lure coursing facility.  Sometimes they allow non-sight hounds course after the site hounds are finished.

We are fortunate enough to have an all-breed lure coursing group in Wisconsin, www.lurecoursingfanatics.com - and Camp Dogwood in Northern Illinois also has a lure coursing field set up.

I thought that my setter would take to it, but she wasn't interested in chaising a plastic bag sprayed with rabbit scent.  She was more interested in the people and dogs. 

If your dog "gets it", it's a blast.
    • Silver
    Thanks Diane! I appreciate the reply. I'll pass this info along to my friend (actually my petsitter [;)])
    • Puppy
    I really hope your friend finds a good place with her dog. I am always speechless about the attitude displayed by some of the clubs of supposed dog lovers, who turn out nothing less than dog-racists. If it is about sports, make objective tests. Any dog passing the test, qualifies. I know numerous non-hounds that easily could lure-course on par with some of the sight-hound breeds, as well as there are dogs that do well in obedience for instance, even though they certainly were not bred for it.

Just my two cents or moral support. [:)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    I totally agree!  Lure coursing is a good (or bad[8|]) example of breed prejudice in a canine sport.  At Camp Dogwood where they invite everybody to give it a try, the dog that beat everybody's pants off was a little shiba-Inu mix shelter dog called Lucy.  She is a lure coursing maniac![:D]

The agility people prefer border collies or aussies, but you are welcome to take classes and give it a try.   You can qualify and get titles if your dog makes the grade. If your dog wins against a BC, they completely respect you. The biggest compliment that I received on the agility course is from a competitor who asked me if my little field bred English setter was a BC mix![:)]
    • Bronze

Everyone from movie-goers in theaters to commuters on the train are taking advantage of the benefits that headphones offer. So, if you’re looking for a way to truly immerse yourself in the sound and visuals of a movie, headphones are definitely the way to go. headphonester.com/best-headphones-for-movies

• Puppy

Headphones have become ubiquitous, used by everyone from movie theater patrons to train commuters. Therefore, if you want to fully experience the sights and sounds of https://run3online.io";>run 3