What brand of food is good for small dogs?

• Puppy

What brand of food is good for small dogs?

I give Luca natural Choice, but i have notice that he has allergies and many times he doesnt
    want to eat it unless we mixed it with apples or pears or any other food.
    Please help
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Although Natural Choice is a great source of nutrients and vitamins, it may not be the right choice for your  dog, specifically. If you are looking for something more palatable, please consult your vet as they may provide valuable assistance on your dogs allergies and digestion. Some  grain free and holistic choices that you can talk to your vet about can be found here and here . Hope this helps! Please let us know how it turns out! 

• Bronze

I do not believe there is special dog food that is more appropriate for small dogs.  I also do not believe that just because a dog food manufacturer puts out breed specific dog food it is better for that breed of dog.  Personally, I have been a raw feeder for many years.  Science has shown the difference in genetics between dogs and wolves to be very small.  The anatomy and physiology (how the animal looks and how the organs work) is very similar.  Dogs are designed to chase, pin down/kill their prey and consume most parts of the prey.  Organ meats like the heart and liver are usually consumed by the alpha dog.  Dogs have very powerful jaws and do not have flat molars (teeth) so they can rip, shred, tear and swallow their food, not grind chew and swallow.

People who feed dry kibble are not providing real nutrition to their dogs.  Once a dog food mixture is formed in to kibble you are actually making it more difficult for the dog to digest.  If you look at any of the data we have about diseases in our pets you can see clear relationship between what we feed our pets and what is natural for them to eat.  Would you feed a child cheerio's every day of their life for every meal and feel you were properly caring for  them?   Why do owners find 1 form of dog food and stick with that the entire dogs life?

Most dog food uses meat that has already been deemed unfit for human consumption, mixed with genetically modified corn, wheat or soy, cooked to a temperature that kills the natural enzymes and denatures vitamins, and stores it in a bag for almost a year .

A well balanced diet for a dog would consist of fresh meat from a variety of sources, raw meaty bones, canned fishes, and a few fruits and vegetable for vitamins and minerals.  

There are many websites that can provide you with more details about proper nutrition for our  pets, the first step is realizing the animal you consider a family member is more like a wolf than some people would like to believe.