Gravy?

• Silver

Gravy?

A friend of mine recommended putting gravy in with my dog's dry food to make it more appetising but I'm worried about the amount of salt that's in gravy :S any suggestions?
    • Gold Top Dog

I've always known "dog gravy" to be just water mixed with kibble to wet the food and make it more appetizing. Some people will mix a bit of canned food (same brand as the kibble) with it to make it more appetizing.

I'm not into picky eaters. You eat what I have or you don't eat is the motto I raised my children on and also my dog. Lillian is picky about treats, meaning if you give her a treat I'm 99.9% sure she won't eat it, she's just not that into food more so than being picky. But when we changed her kibble we just switched it and left it out and waited till it was gone then filled up her bowl again. Now she's on a feeding schedule because she's used to the food.

For senior dogs or dogs with disabilities (who need softer food or something) I can understand. But on a personal level for me, my children and dogs eat what I serve and that's that. I'm not a short order cook. Haha! It's worked and I've got well fed non picky eaters in this house. Now I make sure I'm a good cook and serving good food though. We eat organic home cooked meals and the dog eats Orijen so I KNOW it taste good and is healthy so I have to just be like here you go this is the food, eat it, or leave it.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

You can find low sodium beef broth, there is also dog friendly gravy in the dog food isle. You can even mix your dry food with a can of wet food too. Dogs need moisture in their diets to help maintain their skin and coat. Safflower Oil is great in their food it has vitamin E and anti-oxidants as well. Always check with your vet to make sure.