Allergy Food Suggestions

• Silver

Allergy Food Suggestions

About a year after wrecking my brains trying to find a food to feed my dogs, I am in the same boat again...lol. So, I did a lot of research on foods and decided grain free was the way to go. It seems like ever since I started feeding grain free, two of my dogs have started suffering from skin issues. They never suffered like this on Nutro. Recently, I have done some more research and it seems that possibly the potato and other binders used in the grain free foods could be the culprit to issues my dogs are suffering from. I am to the point of possibly going back to Nutro and start from square one. I know Nutro is not the best food, so if I can find something better I will certainly try it. I want to start with a food and feed only that food and no treats for awhile and rotate slowly to try and figure out the possible allergen. I started looking into Nature's Logic and the only grain the food contains is millet, which is supposedly hypoallergenic, and it has a protein level that I am very happy about, most of the food is over 35%. Does anybody have any personal experience with feeding Nature's Logic? Any other foods you recommend?

PS. I have tried raw. It cleared up one of my dogs skin issues, but not the other one and the one dog just stopped eating it one day and has not eaten it since. So, I would prefer finding a high quality kibble for now. I will be topping with fresh food toppers eventually.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Hi, skin issues are problem especially dry skin, dogs need moisture in their diets its very important, dogs will never drink enough so we need to supplement with oils and moist foods. Everyday I give my dogs a mix of dry and moist and 2 tablespoons of Safflower Oil (its great for their skin it has Vitamin E and Anit-Oxidants) you can also, give them eggs, sardines and raw mixed in. My boys get Sardines every Sunday, they love them and its so good for their skin. I mix Pedigree and Taste of the Wild it works best for my dogs. Another thing to consider it may have your dog allergy tested, most vets do that and it will let you know exactly what your dog is allergic to. Sometimes its not always food, they could be allergic to materials, plants, grasses etc. My first Rottie had skin issues and we tried all kinds of foods thinking it was a food allergy and she was allergic to grasses and trees, we learned that she was actually allergic to lamb which is usually the go to allergy answer for food issues. Sometimes its just better to find out rather than guess. Most allergy tests cover all kinds of meats and foods, materials, other animals and outdoor and indoor plants and things. When in doubt always check with your vet of course. I can tell you that keeping my dogs on dry, moist and oil, they have super shiny coats and no skin issues. Good luck and keep in touch.

• Silver

Thanks for your response! That's good advice. I do give my dogs salmon oil and their coats are the shiniest they have ever been, but they still have skin issues lol. I have always liked Taste of the Wild, but because Diamond manufactures it, I have stayed away since they have quality control issues. I might just have to suck it up and give it a try. Thanks again!

• Gold Top Dog

The thread below has some good info.  Doing an elimination diet is discussed and might be helpful if you haven't done that previously.  I read somewhere that most allergies are not food related, so keep that in mind.  Not saying that's the case with your dogs.  There are many threads on this site about allergies and lots of people with helpful tips and advice.

This is just one of them:

community.dog.com/.../85494.aspx

edited to fix my typos

• Silver

I should have done a search first to find other topics. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks for sharing that! it has a lot of good information.

• Puppy

You may also want to check out supplementing your dogs food with some enzymes.  Since a huge majority of allergens are protein structures, the Protease enzymes break the allergens down.  Total-Zymes is a really good enzyme supplement.