Solid Gold bought by Purina?

• Gold Top Dog

Solid Gold bought by Purina?

Some of you know that Jessie has to be on a low fat diet because she has chronic pancreatitis. She has been doing well on Solid Gold Holistique Blendz (6% fat). I add meat because it's only 18% protein.  Unlike some of Solid Gold's formulas, it is not made by Diamond.

Anyway, there was none on the shelves of the pet store where I usually buy it. I asked the manager when they were getting some more and he said that Purina had either bought Solid Gold or the rights to ship it and the Holistique Blendz has been discontinued. There was nothing about this on Solid Gold's website. Has anyone heard about this? Jessie is allergic to chicken so that rules out many foods for her. I know how to cook her a diet balanced according to NRC guidelines and have done so, but her stools are too soft and I have problems getting the amount of fiber the right balance for her.

• Gold Top Dog

I e-mailed Solid Gold yesterday and received an answer today. None of what the store manager said was true; Solid Gold has not discontinued the Holistique Blendz and have no inventory problems. I found another pet supply store in my area that carries it. Last summer Jessie would periodically stop eating. At the recommendation of our internist at Purdue, we had a GI workup done. Everything was good except that her pancreatic enzymes were high. At the time she was on a diet that was 8% fat and our internist said she needed to be on a diet as low in fat as possible. She has food allergies that prevent her from eating the prescription diets so we tried the Holistique Blendz. She has been doing very well on it and has a good appetite, so it's a great relief to know that it will still be available.

• Gold Top Dog

Glad you contacted the company for the facts.  Also very happy that you can still buy the food that Jessie is doing well on.  Always a relief when feeding a dog with special dietary needs.