Groomer Job: Petsmart or PetCo?

• Gold Top Dog

Just some general stuff....

Don't fidget, dress nice, keep eye contact, pauses in conversation are ok and don't need to be immediately filled.

Some questions you might want to prepare for:

What are your strengths and weeknesses?

What do you do when you make a mistake?

How will you react when _______ (fill in for appropriate occurance) happens?

In the past how have you dealt w/ co-workers you didn't like or had issues with?

What do you do when you disagree w/ the customer?

What makes you qualified for this position?

That's all I can think of for now...hope it helps.  Good Luck!!

• Gold Top Dog

Oh yea...and ask her questions as well.  That will help you know what to expect from the job and show your interest level and that you've put thought into this.

• Gold Top Dog

ShelterDogs

I'm thinking of working at either Petsmart or PetCo as a groomer's helper, and then eventually a groomer to gain experience.  Do you know which company is better to work for as far as grooming goes?  I'm leaning more towards PetCo since they only have a one year contract, where as Petsmart the contract is 2 or 3 years.  And groomer's helpers get paid commission, where as at Petsmart groomer's helpers do not get commission. 

PetsMart hands down has WAY better groomers. ALL groomers at PETCO are horrible and have no idea what they are doing (I'm sorry) they shaved my Pom when she was 4months old when I said "this is her first time to the groomers can you just trim her a little, deff not short of course, typical pom cut" and she came out NAKED and shaved. Needless to say I made and extreme fuss and got my money back.

Not to mention I'm not the only one. It happen to my Aunt, three of my neighbors, my cousin... yes all had horrible PETCO grooming incidence... ironic? I think not... PETCO hires extremely non experienced people. There is even a sign right now on ours saying LOOKING FOR HELP! NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED... WHAT?! and you expect people to GO THERE now?!

Not only that PETCO is dirty and I talked to a woman at PetsMart that changed jobs from PETCO. She said they are mean and their policies are horrible.

I'm actually boycotting PETCO right now. I refuse to go there...

PetSmart & I have had wonderful and plesent experiences. Not to mention all the other services they offer.

I personally think you should choose neither. Go find a private owned grooming shop. They will let you help out, watch, and train there.

• Gold Top Dog

Pomeranian <3
    ALL groomers at PETCO are horrible and have no idea what they are doing

That is a REALLY big generalization. You're talking about a national chain, here. You're going to end up ticking somebody off, if you continue to use BROAD statements and call people incompetent. 

• Gold Top Dog

TheDogHouseBCMPD

Just some general stuff....

Don't fidget, dress nice, keep eye contact, pauses in conversation are ok and don't need to be immediately filled.

Some questions you might want to prepare for:

What are your strengths and weeknesses?

What do you do when you make a mistake?

How will you react when _______ (fill in for appropriate occurance) happens?

In the past how have you dealt w/ co-workers you didn't like or had issues with?

What do you do when you disagree w/ the customer?

What makes you qualified for this position?

That's all I can think of for now...hope it helps.  Good Luck!!

Alright, thanks DogHouse.  I'm just worried about any questions they ask me about my grooming experience.  I have never cut my dog's hair.  I did buy a video on it though and learned some brushing techniques. 

• Gold Top Dog

Pomeranian <3

PetsMart hands down has WAY better groomers. ALL groomers at PETCO are horrible and have no idea what they are doing

LOL.  You didn't read the replies in this thread I guess.  For every comment like this about PetCo, you hear the same being said for Petsmart.  To read why, look at one of Jennie's posts earlier in the thread. 

• Gold Top Dog

didnt read this whole thing, I actually worked at Petsmart and now at Petco..not as a groomer but as a trainer.  Petco pays way more..or atleast it does here.  As for quality..not sure as i groom all my dogs myself...but i will tell you (now i dont know if its true or not..) that i had a handler tell me that if a Petsmart groomer knows its a show dog they are working on, they are not allowed to touch it. (due to fear of a lawsuit if they screw up i guess)..not sure if thats true, but if it is that sure doesnt say much about their confidence in their groomers!

• Gold Top Dog

Beauceron.Akita.Golden

i had a handler tell me that if a Petsmart groomer knows its a show dog they are working on, they are not allowed to touch it. (due to fear of a lawsuit if they screw up i guess)..not sure if thats true, but if it is that sure doesnt say much about their confidence in their groomers!

I think that somewhat may be true.

After the PETCO shave nightmare I went over to PETSMART to talk to some of their groomers. They were totally bashing on the people at PETCO across the street. Most of them new the employees over there since they had first worked over at PETCO. They told me the name of each person and I was like YEAH THEM! And they would say how that person has no idea what they are doing and how the store will just hire anyone. I was disgusted. [Also currently there is a sign on the PETCO grooming section door saying "now hiring. no experience required" wow that really makes them look good...]

PETSMART told me their policies are deff a lot stricter. They are not allowed to mess up, they said in short. They are not allowed to shave a dog unless told to do so & if the dog is matted they must call and confirm to shave before doing so. If the dog is a show dog and the groomer on duty does not have enough experience they will not groom. Personally... I find that to say a lot about them as a whole. They are being careful and responsible and it shows their respect for your dog and the owner.

What I realized in summary is if needed be I will never take my dog to a commercial groomer. Doggie Beauty places, etc are much better I found. I groom my dog myself now because I find what $40 can get me I can do myself. I know right now I could wake up to any PETCO or PETSMART and say hey i wanna be a groomer i groom my dog i can do it too and they will be like okay sure! Those are not the people I want to trust my dog with...

For the people that say they aren't picky... then why bother GOING to a groomers? Shave your own dog if you just want it shaved! If you can't due to physical reasons aight well that makes sense but when I get bugged about being picky at the groomers well yeah DUH its the groomers! You take your dog to a "professional" for a reason right???

I personally dislike every PETCO I've ever been to. The store set-up, the cleaniness, etc. People I also know are in agreement but hey to each his own. I used to love PETCO until I started seeing, watching, and noticing all the horror stories about it.

The one thing I will say about PETCO is they have a healthier dog food section than PETSMART.

• Gold Top Dog

Well, I had the interview. It seemed to go okay.  One mistake I made was not to say that I want to have a career as a groomer.  I think she got confused when I said I am into training and that this would be great experience to have.  Because she then said "I know they're looking for pet instructors."  The thing is, even to be a pet instructor you have to work 15 hours in another job at the store. 

One thing I do not like...  is the selling part.  It doesn't seem you can work a job there without having to sell.  Now I know what they mean by getting 40% commission.  That is if you can UPSELL when you deal with the customer. So really you are making minimum wage and then MAY get commission if you can upsell services.  Man, now I need to read a book on "how to sell."  I think I have a good chance of getting the job, because she seemed impressed that I was a volunteer trainer at a shelter. I haven't been there in over a month though.  So I hope they don't call there.  There havne't been many dogs lately. 

• Gold Top Dog

Congrats on it going well. And congrats on wanting to do grooming as a profession. Maybe you can open up your own shop one day!

• Gold Top Dog

Pomeranian <3

Congrats on it going well. And congrats on wanting to do grooming as a profession. Maybe you can open up your own shop one day!

Are you being sarcastic?

• Gold Top Dog

ShelterDogs

Are you being sarcastic?

Did you want me to be sarcastic... I'm saying congradulations... lol? Being a little insecure much?

My third cousin has her own grooming shop in Maine... it's a good business.

• Gold Top Dog

Pomeranian <3

Did you want me to be sarcastic... I'm saying congradulations... lol? Being a little insecure much?

My third cousin has her own grooming shop in Maine... it's a good business.

LOL, sorry.  Thank you.  I wasn't sure... I thought maybe you were because of your hatred towards PetCo.  And also because of what I said about wanting to be a dog trainer as a career.  Pet grooming would be more an experience for me.  I think it would be part of the education process towards being a dog trainer. 

• Gold Top Dog

Pet grooming and show grooming are two totally different worlds. Pet groomers *shouldn't* touch show dogs, except maybe to give a bath with a previously determined and specified shampoo. Softening a coat with conditioner when it shouldn't be softened is BAD. Clipping a sanitary area is BAD. Clipping a coat that should have been stripped is VERY BAD.  I groom some show dogs, but not at my job, and not as a professional groomer (I do it as a friend).  

Big congratulations, ShelterDogs. I hope that you get the job, enjoy it fully, and learn a lotSmile

• Gold Top Dog

jennie_c_d

Big congratulations, ShelterDogs. I hope that you get the job, enjoy it fully, and learn a lotSmile

I woudln't congratulate me just yet.  I appreciate that though.  They haven't called yet.  She did say she'd make a decision by the end of the week.  I think the interview went well, the only reason I can see me not getting the job is if for some reason the manager overrides her decicision to hire me for any strange reason.