Must they stay overnight?

• Gold Top Dog
    Ben's getting snipped next Friday.  He'll be going in early in the morning and I'll pick him up late in the afternoon.  Friday night I'll sleep on the couch with him in his crate next to me, just in case.  Ben's been away from me overnight (or rather, I have been away from him) but not after something this traumatising.  I wouldn't be comfortable with spending the night apart from him after he'd had surgery unless it was something really major and critical that he stayed at the vet.

Kate
    • Gold Top Dog
    I took Conrad and Marlowe home the days they were neutered. When Marlowe had a health issue that actually required close monitoring 24 hours a day, I had to shuttle him back and forth between the emergency vet (no one is there duing the daytime hours during the week) and my own vet (where no one is there in the evenings or weekends). From that I infer that it isn't necessary to keep a dog overnight for a neuter or spay (no complications) because if it was they'd have you take the dog to spend the night at the ER like my vets did for when it actually was necessary.  Especially with a neuter, there's not much that actually happens there. I would laugh if my vet said the dog should stay the night for a no-complications neuter.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Benedict

Ben's getting snipped next Friday.  He'll be going in early in the morning and I'll pick him up late in the afternoon.  Friday night I'll sleep on the couch with him in his crate next to me, just in case.  Ben's been away from me overnight (or rather, I have been away from him) but not after something this traumatising.  I wouldn't be comfortable with spending the night apart from him after he'd had surgery unless it was something really major and critical that he stayed at the vet.

Kate

How old is Ben?  I just had my 20wk old Lab neutered.  Same as you, dropped off in the morning, picked up around 4:00PM.  By 8:00PM he acted as if nothing happened.  I think younger dogs recover faster.  The next day it was almost impossible keeping him less active (inactive was out of the question).  I thought I read somewhere that Labs had a high tolerence to pain, but this was ridiculous.  The incision was closed with glue, so maybe that helped keep it from opening.
    • Gold Top Dog
    last male I had neutered was done in the morning. I picked him up at 2 pm, and he was leaping and jumping around in the vet clinic at the sight of me. He acted like nothing had happened, wanted to go home and run wildly around the yard. Which is as it should be -- male neuters are very simple and non-traumatic.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I also had to leave Bubblegum overnight with her spay,,,and as was mentioned above a couple of times,,,I did NOT know that no one was there with her. I WILL know the next time I have any spays or neuters done.  I would much rather them be with me so I can watch them than to leave them in a cage with no one around.  
    The clinic where I work only keeps declaws overnight, the spay and neuters go home late afternoon from a morning surgery.    Its probably sometimes hard to keep your dog down when you have one that comes out of surgery "ready and raring to go" which we sometimes see,,,but as long as the clients are given instructions to not let their pets jump and run around,,they should be fine.
    • Gold Top Dog
    At our clinic, routine surgeries, spays & neuters, go home the same day baring complications.  Declaws, orthopedic surgeries, & other complicated cases stay overnight.  We have a tech there overnight to monitor our overnight cases to make sure that there are no problems.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm taking Tasha in the morning to get spayed and they wont let me take her home until the next morning :(  I'm pretty sure everyone goes home after they close, I didnt ask though.  I don't have a choice to go to another vet because I'm using a spay coupon.  They keep the girls overnight but the boys can go home at the end of the day.