Rash on chin & feet

[$provider]
    • Gold Top Dog

Dawnben
    This may help. Ester C is better because it protects their stomach.

The downside of vitamin C is that it contributes to the formation of calcium oxalate crystals, so it should be avoided if the dog has had those crystals in his urine.

It was an e-vet that told me about Selsun Blue when I had to take Jessie in on a Saturday night. The infection was so bad, the large pad on one of her feet was hanging loose. Sad   Talk about pain tolerance; she wasn't even limping. I don't remember how often she said to do it, but it shouldn't hurt to do it a few times a day.

• Gold Top Dog

He has already been getting fish oil (not just since this started, he regularly gets it) Usually 2 capsuls every day, unless I run out.

I just took some more pictures of his feet... They're uploading right now.

jessies_mom

Dawnben

The downside of vitamin C is that it contributes to the formation of calcium oxalate crystals, so it should be avoided if the dog has had those crystals in his urine.

I've never heard of giving VitC for allergies... Bailey has never had crystals in his urine (Not that I know of, anyways) but that isn't really something I'd like to chance...

jessies_mom

It was an e-vet that told me about Selsun Blue when I had to take Jessie in on a Saturday night. The infection was so bad, the large pad on one of her feet was hanging loose. Sad   Talk about pain tolerance; she wasn't even limping. I don't remember how often she said to do it, but it shouldn't hurt to do it a few times a day.

Wow, that's horrible.

So I can wash his feet a few times a day with the Selsun blue (I have the generic stuff, but it's still the same ingredients) on top of using the tea still? I think I need to start using the tea more often... it seems to help but it doesn't last long. And should I still use the Aloe too? (if I can figure out how to use it?)

Also... He is itchy all over, not just his feet. His feet as the worst spots, but he is itching the side of his face pretty bad too. It's no where near the redness as his feet, but it's noticable to me. It's just a very slight irritation, if someone who doens't know Bailey looked at him they probably wouldn't notice anything wrong on his face. But to me, I can notice a difference. It's right around his eye and a little below it on his cheek. No hair loss/swelling/oozing, just itchy and red.

His armpits are itchy too, along with the inside of his back legs. Should I start giving daily/everyother day/weekly baths? With Selsun blue, or regular shampoo (I use Tropiclean w/ tea tree oil)

• Gold Top Dog

All the areas you're describing are similar to what I experienced with my lab too but the feet were definitely the worst....until she also got an infection on her tummy. That was a scary and costly nightmare.

I think you can get away with bathing frequently, maybe every other day, and be fine. The important thing though is to try to leave the shampoo on for 5-10 minutes. It really needs a little time to do it's job. I was told by the derm vet to use a vinegar/water rinse to restore the ph but I'm not sure what the ratio should be. Maybe someone else will know though.

• Gold Top Dog

Chelsea, you can scrape the gooey portion of the aloe leaves with a dull knife.  The "skin" of the leaf is very soft and easily scrapes away. I've never had any luck with aloe helping itching but it does soothe irritated skin.  It won't hurt him so it's worth trying. I would keep his feet dry as possible and the cone would prevent him licking.  The boots would trap moisture and I would avoid them if possible since you suspect a yeast infection.  Have you asked your vet if they could do a smear to confirm a yeast infection?  I was thinking maybe you could call and ask them to save a useless visit if they aren't willing. 

ETA, I use a leave in conditioner called Resicort when Twister is itchy from allergies.

• Gold Top Dog

JackieG

Chelsea, you can scrape the gooey portion of the aloe leaves with a dull knife.  The "skin" of the leaf is very soft and easily scrapes away. I've never had any luck with aloe helping itching but it does soothe irritated skin. 

I tried it & about 30 minutes after I put it on it looked less red. Not sure if it helped with the itchy at all but it deffinitely LOOKED less irritated. Is that stuff safe to use as much as needed? It was a huge leaf so there is a ton of goo in it... Does it keep (and if it does, how do I store it?) or does it have to be fresh each time?

Here are the pictures I took today...

I'm breaking out the cone. Last night he started licking on the backside of his front foot, creating a raw spot.

Closeup of the back of his front paw. See how flakey the skin is?

Between toes

Between pads on the bottom of his foot-

Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures. It's hard to hold his foot still and take a picture at the same time.

• Gold Top Dog

Had to come and edit due to human error on the keyboard.  lol

You can put the leaf in a baggie and store it in the refrigerator.  Not sure how long it will stay fresh but a few days, I would think.  I don't know what's going on with his poor feet but they look so icky and itchy.  I hope some of the suggestions help him.

• Gold Top Dog

JackieG
    Chelsea, you can scrape the gooey portion of the aloe leaves with a dull knife.  The "skin" of the leaf is very soft and easily scrapes away. I've never had any luck with aloe helping itching but it does soothe irritated skin. 

Aloe will simply *soothe* and help heal the skin -- it's not going to stop the itching. 

An aloe 'leaf' is fat -- on the two edges there are little tiny spines.  Take a paring knife and **carefully** trim away the edge of each side deep enough to remove the spines.  (CAreful -- this stuff is SOOOOO slippery and gooey)

Then slide your knife from bottom to top so you have two "halves" (top and bottom) and put them skin side down on the Saran.  Just take a spoon -- the inside of it is a gelatenous GOO -- as you apply a little pressure the whole inside of that leaf will turn to goo liquid - it's not hard, just messy.  Throw away that outer green skin and then just pick up the Saran and squeeze it into a little container.

Aloe leaves come big and small - you can sometimes buy them at a produce stand or grocery store produce area (honkin great big leaf/fronds those are) -- or if someone has a plant generally it's on their windowsill for burns.  Essentially here, he has licked his skin so much it's like a massive brush burn!!  That's why the aloe soothes.

You can do the tea, the aloe the baths.  They're all benign and soothing -- do tea one night and aloe the next -- whatever works.

Get some tea tree oil -- you can even get that at Wal-Mart ($5 for a 2 oz bottle usually) -- herb section on the bottom shelf near the vitamins.

You can put 20 drops in the FINAL gallon of water you rinse him in -- in other words give him a bath FIRST.  Dilute the shampoo (it's SO thick it's ahrd to washt hem otherwise) but don't let him chill (his skin is open and sore -- he will feel cold).  Just make sure you RINSE RINSE RINSE -- don't just try to rinse him by dumping water over him -- you won't get it off him well enough.  Do you have a handheld shower?? Or do you have set tubs downstairs with running water with WARM water???

Getting him rinsed is critical or the skin will get MORE sore.

Then at the VERY *end* take that last gallon of water (like in a water jug) and add maybe 20 - 25 drops of tea tree oil to that.  Shake it HARD and pour over him -- you can put a little tea tree on your hand and massage it into his paws - it will help fight infection.

THEN RINSE AGAIN -- Not a ton but just enough to knock off any extra tea tree oil (it will make him sick to his stomach if he licks a lot of that).  But it will help.

If you do the tea tree rinse you can bathe him a couple of times a week.  You can wipe him off DAILY and that will help.  That's part of what the tea does.  But just running a wet washcloth over him (rinsing it out several times) will help get the pollen and allergens off him.

I would put socks on him.  He's not gonna love you for it but it WILL help. 

This sounds crazy but it WILL keep him from licking.

Find a t-shirt - usually a youth boy size -- probably a medium for him.  White is best.

Take two pairs of white sport socks.

Two pairs of LONG shoe-laces.

Poke a shoe lace thru the top of a sock on the side (at the very top) and TIE it so the lace won't pull out.  Do that to all 4 socks with all 4 laces.

Put a sock on each foot -- the lace on the "outside".  Take all 4 laces and tie them in ONE bow at the top of the middle of his back.

Put the t-shirt on (tag under his chin -- but cut the tag off).

Take a rubber band and bundle up the excess at the side (so it's tight around his belly not obstructing his willie so he can potty).  Tuck that under.

Now you feel foolish and the dog is looking at you like you must be kidding.

BUT -- he may not "like" it but he'll stop the infernal biting. 

JUST A T-SHIRT HELPS -- It will actually stop some of the itching.  Some of the itch is nervous itch -- the more they lick the more they NEED to lick.  This helps break the cycle.

Put the aloe on (thick) before you put the socks on. 

Now -- you can use baby socks if you can train him to leave them on.  You can pick up some rubber cement at most any place that sells glue, tape or office supplies -- and paint rubber cement on the toes of the socks -- that will give him some traction so he won't slip on wood floors.

It's amazing -- if I take Billy's shirt off he's a scratching mess in seconds.  Put a shirt on him -- he calms down.  He's 30 pounds and I use a Youth Small (or an x-tra small depending on the brand).

If you have a Goodwill near you often you can buy kid's t-shirts for $.25 (a quarter).

Now-- once you see if this helps THEN you can get fun with the t-shirts (particularly if you watch Goodwill and those places) -- you can find shirts with your favorite sports team on them if you like (and sometimes socks too)

There is something about covering an itchy dog that REALLY helps.

Wal-Mart's generic Benedryl is fine -- K-Mart's generic SUCKS.  Not all generics are good. 

• Gold Top Dog

Jackie, there is no way these leaves could fit in a plastic baggie. They're HUGE lol 

calliecritturs

JackieG

Aloe will simply *soothe* and help heal the skin -- it's not going to stop the itching. 

An aloe 'leaf' is fat -- on the two edges there are little tiny spines.  Take a paring knife and **carefully** trim away the edge of each side deep enough to remove the spines.  (CAreful -- this stuff is SOOOOO slippery and gooey)

Then slide your knife from bottom to top so you have two "halves" (top and bottom) and put them skin side down on the Saran.  Just take a spoon -- the inside of it is a gelatenous GOO -- as you apply a little pressure the whole inside of that leaf will turn to goo liquid - it's not hard, just messy.  Throw away that outer green skin and then just pick up the Saran and squeeze it into a little container.

Aloe leaves come big and small - you can sometimes buy them at a produce stand or grocery store produce area (honkin great big leaf/fronds those are) -- or if someone has a plant generally it's on their windowsill for burns.  Essentially here, he has licked his skin so much it's like a massive brush burn!!  That's why the aloe soothes.

Ok, I just did that... now how exactly to I use it? It isn't really a goo... it's more like a solid gel. When I cut it off the "skin" it didn't really turn to goo, it just stayed in a gel/gooey triangle shape, it didn't turn to mush. Should I mash it up or something? Toss it in the blender? lol

calliecritturs

You can put 20 drops in the FINAL gallon of water you rinse him in -- in other words give him a bath FIRST.  Dilute the shampoo (it's SO thick it's ahrd to washt hem otherwise) but don't let him chill (his skin is open and sore -- he will feel cold).  Just make sure you RINSE RINSE RINSE -- don't just try to rinse him by dumping water over him -- you won't get it off him well enough.  Do you have a handheld shower?? Or do you have set tubs downstairs with running water with WARM water???

We only have a shower, no tub. It's tiny, which makes it very dificult to bathe him in there. It has one of those flexible shower head things, but it doesn't reach down far enough to be able to rinse under him.

BUUUUUUUUUT.... My imaginarynation went wild today & I got a neat idea... It's in the makings right now, I might have it done tomarrow. You will have to wait and see to find out what it is Wink

calliecritturs

Then at the VERY *end* take that last gallon of water (like in a water jug) and add maybe 20 - 25 drops of tea tree oil to that.  Shake it HARD and pour over him -- you can put a little tea tree on your hand and massage it into his paws - it will help fight infection.

What about that spot on his face? It's REALLY itchy, and a little flakey around his eye (not as much as on his feet, just a tiny bit)

calliecritturs

This sounds crazy but it WILL keep him from licking.

Find a t-shirt - usually a youth boy size -- probably a medium for him.  White is best.

Take two pairs of white sport socks.

Oh man Callie, Bailey is NOT going to be happy about this. Bailey isn't going to like his auntie Callie anymore when I tell him that it was ALL HER IDEA Stick out tongue

Seriously though, I actually put socks on him today before you even mentioned it Callie. He is pretty good about having booties on, so he didn't seem to mind that much. It's just finding a way to KEEP them on.  

I'm not sure if the shoelace thing will work. See, durring the day when I can watch him he doesn't need them on. It's at night when he does most of the licking, so thats when he'd wear them the most. When he curls up in a ball or bends his legs up next to him when he's sleeping, the shoelaces would obviously loosen and he'd be able to pull his feet out (I know, because he did the exact same thing with his jammies)

I think maybe if I use some really long socks, so they go really high up on his legs, it might work.

• Gold Top Dog

*girn* won't be the first time it's "All Aunt Callie's Fault!" -- it lightens things up.  And trust me ... my shoulders are broad.  Go ahead and blame me *grin*

Spazzy
    Ok, I just did that... now how exactly to I use it? It isn't really a goo... it's more like a solid gel. When I cut it off the "skin" it didn't really turn to goo, it just stayed in a gel/gooey triangle shape, it didn't turn to mush. Should I mash it up or something? Toss it in the blender? lol

Usually with the smaller houseplant size, you wouldn't have the opportunity TO cut away the skin -- because it disintigrates in your hands.  The more 'mature' the leaves the more solid the inside -- typically I don't "cut off" the skin but rather scrape away that flesh inside which makes it turn to goo.  I'd mash it up -- blending would be fine -- you cut away the dark green outer skin right??  (and you're sure this was an aloe leaf you bought, right??  Just checking).

Even if you have to add a bit of water to it that's fine.  And yes -- just spread it on and then if you can just put socks over it that's FINE.

Socks/baby socks (which stay on pretty well all by themselves) -- but if you're trying to keep on bigger socks try ponytail scrunchies (not rubber bands -- you don't want to shut off the circulation).  Vet wrap around the top of the sock works well too.

But if he'll leave them on -- try smearing the rubber cement on the toe of the socks to give him traction so he doesn't slip on linoleum. 

But yeah -- I was thinking like men's white sport socks (which stretch and go up their legs a LONG way).

OR -- again good will item (and in the winter this is more feasible anyway) -- you can just get kid's jammies -- and sew the cuffs shut (feet and wrists) -- but if you're wanting this for night time ANYWAY that works.  Just put the little boy placket UNDER him and cut a hole for his tail

• Gold Top Dog

calliecritturs

Spazzy

Usually with the smaller houseplant size, you wouldn't have the opportunity TO cut away the skin -- because it disintigrates in your hands.  The more 'mature' the leaves the more solid the inside -- typically I don't "cut off" the skin but rather scrape away that flesh inside which makes it turn to goo.  I'd mash it up -- blending would be fine -- you cut away the dark green outer skin right??  (and you're sure this was an aloe leaf you bought, right??  Just checking).

Yep, I'm positive it's an aloe leaf. I've never actually had to use one before myself but I definitely know what they look like. Plus they were in a big bin that said "Aloe leaves" Wink

I think it's probably because the leaf is so big that its more solid and less "gooey". The thing was at least 2ft, and probably 4-5 inches wide at the base.

And yes I cut all the green outer skin off, all thats left is the clearish gel stuff.

calliecritturs
     Socks/baby socks (which stay on pretty well all by themselves) -- but if you're trying to keep on bigger socks try ponytail scrunchies (not rubber bands -- you don't want to shut off the circulation).  Vet wrap around the top of the sock works well too.

But if he'll leave them on -- try smearing the rubber cement on the toe of the socks to give him traction so he doesn't slip on linoleum. 

But yeah -- I was thinking like men's white sport socks (which stretch and go up their legs a LONG way).

OR -- again good will item (and in the winter this is more feasible anyway) -- you can just get kid's jammies -- and sew the cuffs shut (feet and wrists) -- but if you're wanting this for night time ANYWAY that works.  Just put the little boy placket UNDER him and cut a hole for his tail

Darn, thats a good idea about the vet wrap, I wish I had some on hand. That would help it stay in place. I used all the vet wrap I had after Bailey's foot surgery to remove that growth. I could always use duct tape instead :P.  I'll give it a shot without it first though, just w/ the long socks and shoe laces, to see if it works.

• Silver
    jessies_mom

Dawnben

It may be a problem if your dog has chronic UTI problems but other wise not a problem. Vitamin C does not cause them is is not prescribed when a dog had the stones. Natural supplements can sometimes help your dogs immune system kick in and help its self, without harmful side effects. There is no down side to that. To get into the shape this dog is in the immune system has to be compromised. Prevention of Bladder Stones in Dogs Using Supplements Supplements can be used to prevent bacterial bladder infections and stone formation: Cranberries: Cranberries (also blackberries and raspberries) are effective in preventing cystitis because they help to keep bacteria from adhering to the lining of the bladder and the urethra. They may also help to lower urine pH. You can give non-sweetened cranberry juice (about half an ounce for dogs) to your dog, or you can use a cranberry powder product such as Solid Gold Berry Balance for Cats and Dogs. Vitamin C: Vitamin C can acidify the urine which in turn helps to control bacterial infections. Vitamin C also has anti-inflammatory properties and therefore can prevent infections. Cod-liver oil: Cod-liver oil is rich in vitamin A which is essential in keeping the lining of the bladder and urinary tract in good condition. Here is a good natural product of cod-liver oil: Nordic Naturals Pet Cod Liver Oil.
    • Gold Top Dog

So... The socks WERE working. Until he figured out how to get them off. At first it seemed like he did it by accident, but now I'm sure he intentionally takes them off. He sits down and puts one paw next to the other and then stands up and when he takes a step forward it pulls the socks off cause he was standing on it with the other foot.

They are looking a little bit better between his toes. It is still red and irritated on the SIDE of his foot. The spots on his armpits and between his back legs are still kind of red, but the baths seem to be making them less itchy and he doesn't lick them after he gets a bath. The tshirt helps his armpits, but not the other spots.

I'm getting him some boots so he can't lick his feet and so he can wear them outside. I think it is the only way to keep him from licking his feet when I cant watch him. I tried a cone, but he can get out of it.

The side of his face is still really flakey. I tried to get some pictures, but I couldn't get any that showed the redness and flakey skin. To someone who doesn't see him every day it probably isn't noticable at all, but I can definitely see the difference. He isn't itching it that much, maybe once or twice a day..

• Gold Top Dog

I'm glad he's getting better. The reason I used Mutluks for Jessie was because she managed to take off socks no matter how I tried to fasten them. Do you ever change his food? If so, do the flare-ups seem to happen at the same time? The only outside allergen that should affect him this time of year is mold, but inside allergens can affect him all year. Jessie is very allergic to house dust mites and if I get behind on vacuuming, her face and ears get itchy. I hope he keeps improving.

• Gold Top Dog

jessies_mom
    The only outside allergen that should affect him this time of year is mold, but inside allergens can affect him all year

Oh man, I wish that were true - that's why I originally moved south.  The "fall" generally was THE worst time of year because of the leaves & their dust/mold until there is "staying snow".  And for a dog who typically walks most anywhere with their nose to the ground sniffing it can be pretty bad if tree allergy is one of their things.

• Gold Top Dog

No, I don't ever change his food. He's been on raw for 4-5 years. He mainly eats chicken, beef, and pork. He gets goat once every week or two because it is expensive. There has never been any connection between any of the meats and a flare up of his allergies. His diet is the same year round, the allergies don't seem to be food related.

I don't see how it could be something INSIDE that is causing this? If it was, I think it would be more often? It lasts forever once it starts, but after it gets under control then it might not come back for months.

So even though there might not be anything that is bothering him outside now (whatever his issue is- grass, trees, whatever) all it takes is for it to get started, then it is the vicious cycle of licking/infection/irritation until I can control it.

Boots should be here sometime this week. If the boots don't help at all then he will be going to the vet. Last time when I showed the vet the red patches on the inside of his back legs, he was put on antibiotics every day for about a month. And it did not help AT ALL...