Dislocated hip

• Gold Top Dog

juliekay
    Right now he just feels abused

Poor baby!  I hope he feels a lot better soon.  I also hope he is letting you get some sleep!!

What was his reaction to morphine?

Lurkers: 

Please be very careful about increasing medicines without a vet's prior authorization.  You don't want to get into the range of toxicity or drug interactions - especially if the dog has had a lot of drugs in the past couple of days. 

There is a difference between "high tolerance" and just plain "ineffective".  Increasing the dosage of an "ineffective" medication could be toxic and not provide any benefit at all.

• Gold Top Dog

Well it was when I first brought him home.  He suddenly became very agressive with my little shi tzu  Cujo and I had to pull him off of him . He really tried to kill him over a squeaky toy.  I was very angry and put him outside in his kennel  and left for work., If I could have given him away that day I would have gladly. When I got home he  was so dopey he could barely stand. When I was looking around  trying to figure out what he got into I  discovered a chewed up  bottle of  Richs morphine in the garage.  There was at least 600mg in that bottle.  I called the vet  and as it had been in his system for over 8 hours there wasn't anything they could do.  I was told to just keep him as active as possible.  It took about 3 days to fully get out of his system  He was staggering  drooling and  not eatting  and I had to moisten his mouth  for him.

Since then I wouldn't  give him away for a million dollars though I still won't leave his alone  with Cujo. Cujo is blind and spoiled He thinks he can tell everyone what to do

As  for  increasing  the valium without a the vet authorization... He had told me  that it might be necessary as he had placed him on  a mid range dose. He tried 10 mg every 8 hours and now its up to 20 every 8 hours as needed. So  far I have only given him the the 20 last night so we could both get some sleep 

• Gold Top Dog

juliekay
    As for increasing  the valium without a the vet authorization... He had told me that it might be necessary

Please note that I was careful not to say that you had increased the dosage without vet authorization.  I wasn't sure what the vet had told you. 

I just wanted to caution the lurkers who might say "Well, it worked for her so I will try it" without having OKed it with the vet ahead of time.  I try to write my posts keeping in mind that I am speaking to lots of people - not just those taking part in the thread. 

I am glad the dog survived his morphine encounter.  That must have been very scary for you and very unpleasant for the dog.  No wonder he didn't want to eat. 

What is his name by the way?  You mentioned Cujo, but not the name of the dog in the morphine and car encounters (or I missed it). 

• Gold Top Dog

Sorry  I guess its just one of them things you think everyone knows cuz he is so special....  his name is Dingo. I sometimes call him dingy.  I credit him for saving me or at least my sanity. He belonged to the family  that I was doing private duty nursing for.  I started back to work only a few months after Rich died and I really wasn't ready for it. This dog just knew when I needed a hug,  I cried many times into his neck before he was actually mine. When they said they could no longer keep him and was thinking about the dog pound I knew I could not let that happen although even then I wasn't sure he and Cujo would  tolerate each other. I just knew after all he had done for me I had to make sure he got a good home.