Limping terrier

• Gold Top Dog

Limping terrier

I have a 5 year old jack russell. She has been fine the entire day and after lunch she crawled up behind me in my computer chair to nap. She slept for about 2 hours then I got up to leave the room and she jumped up and leaped off the chair. I noticed as soon as she started walking she was slightly limping on her left rear leg. She isnt holding it up but just walking a little slower than normal. I did a complete rub down of her leg and it didnt seem to bother her. I put her back in the chair with me and she went back to sleep. She is still asleep at this point and I dontwant to bother her so I dont know if she is still doing it. I called the vet and she said to wait it out til tomorrow and if it persist to bring her in. I just dont understand what could cause it. She has had a bad bout of fleas recently and she finally got her frontline last week so they are all gone now but her rear end is really irratiatied and itchy still. She seems to be acting completly normal other than the limping. She ate twice today and was fine til the nap. Could it have fallen asleep when she was snuggled up to me. My main concern of course is lyme because of the big flea problem but she has been free of fleas for a week now. Would it have taken that long to make her limp>? Sorry for all of the questions but I am a bit of a worrier and am always a over concerned mommy.....

Ok so we took a trip outside and the limping is still there I cant really tell which leg it is only that it is a rear one. The limp isnt horrible more of a double step if that makes sense. I just dont get it though. While we were out there she opened up to a little trot and there was no limp present only when she walks. She is still using both hind legs to scartch and is pretty normal acting other then pouting because I wont let her get out of my lap to chase a fly. Do you think it could be lyme? I just dont know it was so all of a sudden she was fine before the nap and now this. If it is still there tomorrow we will def be going to the vet since that was her recommendation but I was hoping to get some input. I have check her thoart and it feels completly normal and I dont think she has a temp.  and 

• Gold Top Dog

My first thought was his leg went to sleep.  Lyme comes from ticks, not fleas.  Should be able to rule that out unless you have seen ticks on him.  I am somewhat of a worrier too so I can relate.  I have a nine year old JRT and I know how totally they can steal your heart!  Vet visit if he continues to limp for more than two or three days. He could have a soft tissue injury that will resolve itself, just like when we overwork a muscle or get a bad bruise.  I'm hoping he will be just fine!

• Gold Top Dog

She could have strained  or sprined her ankle jumping off the chair. In situations like this - I give it 24 hours. If the limping persists, VET. They will usually perscribe some things, and take an xray to make sure nothing was broken.

Smaller dogs can be hurt so easily jumping off beds, chairs, etc. I've taught my dog to jump up and down, but landing and taking off from his dog bed. That way he has a cushion landing, lowering the chances of him being hurt. You can also invest in some doggy stairs - my room is too small for that, but it's something I will look into as he ages.

• Gold Top Dog

Ok, I was replying while you were updating!  I know exactly the little double step you are talking about.  I know what it is in my dog but not in yours.  It could be a luxating patella.  This is somewhat common in this breed.  Your Vet can easily manipulate the knee joint and tell how loose it is.  My dog will double hop a little and it is usually after he has been jumping, but he doesn't do it all the time only now and then.  This is not to say that this is what is going on with your dog, just to tell you in case you didn't know about this condition.  If your dog had really severe case I'm pretty sure it would have shown up before now.  My motto is, if you are worried then take him in and then you don't have to keep worrying. :)

• Gold Top Dog

JackieG
    .  My dog will double hop a little and it is usually after he has been jumping,

If your dog has a luxating platella, he should not be jumping. It causes more damage and pain long term.

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for your advice.  My dog's one leg is very slightly loose and he skips only now and then.  As far as not letting him jump, well that is pretty impossible.  He is a JRT remember! :)  I do appreciate your concern and I do try and control his jumping to prevent injury/joint damage. 

• Gold Top Dog

Yea that was my first thought but it is still there. Not to bad of a limp, she is putting weigh on it just not all of it when walking. But yea I cant help but to freak out over it. She has never had a tick on her in her entire life and the fleas were just because my brother brought his untreated dog here and they took over. Needless to say they have all been treated for fleas including my brothers dog. I assumed fleas speard it also.   She is a bit spoiled and acts like a princess and yes I will always have a weakness for JRTs now. Hopefully it is just a sore muscle or something. She is acting fine. Woke up went to the potty and come in to her normal after nap meal ate and was ready to play so we play a lite weight game of tug of war. I am going to limited the play and excersie and if it isnt better by tomorrow we will go to the vet. I still dont know how or why since it was all so sudden and she was litteraly fine 2 hours previous.

• Gold Top Dog

hahaha.... true. =]

• Gold Top Dog

Lol yea stoping her from jumping is near impossible and she sleeps in the bed. I never thought of the doggy stairs for in the house but it is a great idea. I am going to invest in a good set this friday. My assumpation right now is that she landed wrong when she jumped off the chair as it is a spinning chair and I could see it happening very easily. I am going to do some research on the problem you mentioned. I know JRTs are prone to hip and joint problems has they are very springy.

• Gold Top Dog

more than likely that is your issue, but only a vet check can tell for sure.

Casey will try to not jump off the bed if his dog bed is not near by where he can land there - sometimes the cats (or other dogs) move it. I also get nervous with his back - he's a bit longer (assuming from the corgi in him).

your vet will probably give you some anti-inflamtories and pain meds for a few days if it comes to that.

• Gold Top Dog

Well I seen her limp a few times these morning when she woke up but now it seems to have pretty much disappeared. I am still limiting jumping and running though she has managed to sneak in a few jumps here and there. I am just going to continue the rest for the day and see how it goes. It is dramaticall better from yesterday so we will see how the day goes and as long as I dont see a return we are going to wait on the vet visit. I swear I might as well move in there Big Smile Thanks for all the advice and support