Aluminum Acetate for ear infections? Ever heard of this?

• Gold Top Dog

Aluminum Acetate for ear infections? Ever heard of this?

Hello,
    My vet prescribed ALUMINUM ACETATE drops as a new therapy to help prevent chronic ear infections in my Shih Tzu.  Has anyone ever heard of this?? It smells like white vinegar.  I trust my vet, I was just curious because it is apparently a new therapy.  Has anyone used this or heard of it at all?
    Thanks.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Since I've become a vet tech, ad I suppose thats what I'll be doing from now on (a least a while) I've started trying to learn everything I can.  I have not yet heard of what your talking about.  We see lots of ear infrections, mostly we prescribe Zymox Otic- its forfungal and bacterial infections... and say to put 10 drops in each ear once daily for however many days laong with a cleaner which we say to fill the ears with, massage at the base and then wipe it out once a day.

From what I've found from looking it up it is mainly for humans, and quite toxic... heres a bit from one site...
    Overview

•   Burow#%92s solution is a solution of aluminum acetate in water.
  •   It is used as an astringent wet dressing to relieve inflammatory conditions of the skin, such as insect bites, swelling, allergies and bruises.
  •   Burow#%92s solution has antibacterial effects, and will inhibit the growth of bacteria commonly found in ear infections.
  •   Burow#%92s solution is available over the counter but should not be administered except under the supervision and guidance of a veterinarian.
  •   This drug is not approved for use in animals by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) but may be prescribed legally by veterinarians as an extra-label drug.

Brand Names and Other Names
  •   This drug is registered for use in humans only.
  •   Burow#%92s solution is supplied by numerous drug companies, in various generic formulations, and comes with a variety of trade names..
  •   Veterinary formulations: None

Uses of Burow#%92s Solution
  •   Burow#%92s solution is used as an astringent and drying agent. It is also used to treat scratching and inflammation.
  •   Burow#%92s solution has been used to cleanse damaged and/or [linkhttp://www.petplace.com/netscape/nsArtShow.asp?artID=84]infected skin[/link] of debris and to treat ear infections.

Precautions and Side Effects
  •   While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, Burow#%92s solution may cause reactions in some animals.
  •   Burow#%92s solution should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug or to aluminum acetate.
  •   Burow#%92s solution should be discontinued if it is associated with excessive irritation, or if the condition continues to worsen despite several days of treatment. It is important to contact your veterinarian in either case.
  •   Burow#%92s solution is designed for topical use only; it should not be taken internally.
  •   The drug should not come into contact with the eyes. The solution is acidic and will sting.
  •   Skin areas treated with Burow#%92s solution should not be covered with impervious dressings that prevent evaporation.

How Burow#%92s Solution is Supplied
  •   Burow#%92s solution is available in powder form that dissolves in water and as a premixed solution.

Dosing Information
  •   Burow#%92s solution should be applied to a clean cloth or gauze that is gently squeezed and applied to the affected area. Various concentrations can be used. Consult your veterinarian to determine the appropriate concentration to use.
  •   The solution should be applied to the affected area every 15 to 30 minutes.
  •   The duration of administration depends on the condition being treated, response to the medication and the development of any adverse effects. Be certain to complete the prescription unless otherwise directed by your veterinarian. Even if your pet feels better, the entire treatment plan should be completed to prevent relapse.
    [linkhttp://www.petplace.com/netscape/nsArtPrinterFriendly.asp?all=1&conID=24164]http://www.petplace.com/netscape/nsArtPrinterFriendly.asp?all=1&conID=24164[/link]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thank you so much for that info.  My vet never described any side effects or anything.  It is just mixed in a clear bottle with a label it says Aluminum acetate-30ml 1%.  It is definitly strong smelling.
    I have tried all forms of drops for the ears-Otomax, Surolan, Vet Link cleaners etc. nothing worked.  Vet told me that he could be on this Aluminum Acetate for his entire life if it helps because it is not an anti-biotic.  Wow, all that stuff you found on it is interesting and a bit unnerving.
    Thank you.
    • Gold Top Dog
    They never do.  I am always wary of "new" things because the real side effects are yet to be seen.  It doesnt seem to be too bad, maybe someone here has more experience or knowledge about it... I wouldnt think it would hurt to use if you keep close watch and make sure there are no reactions. 

But to think you may be using it for the remainder of his life sounds a little scary.... I could be wrong tho..?
    • Gold Top Dog
    Ever since I lost my Hunter to the "new and marvelous twice a year heartworm preventatvie, Proheart6", I am leary of anything new also.  ProHeart 6 was on the market barely 3 years and so many reports of reactions and deaths, the FDA "requested" they take it off the market.  We who lost or almost lost our dogs and many who were with us in spreading the word about it feel the FDA request was like the army "vollunteers" that either vollunteer or get told to do it anyway.

What I have learned is they do not do enough testing to start off with.  When PH6 first came out, it was declared safe for heartworm positive dogs.  Turns out it wasn't and the FDa had them change their lable to say to treat the dogs first for the heartworms and THEN go on the PH6.  Then other reactions cropped up and the FDA told them change the label again to add these reactions.  The day my Hunter got his fatal injection, there was another label change.....to include deaths as a reaction.  He died Oct. 16, 2003 and it was pulled from the market Sept. 3, 2004.
    • Puppy

​Dive into the world of industrial aluminum with our comprehensive guide on T-slot aluminum extrusions yonglongalu.com/.../everything-you-need-to-know-about-t-slot-aluminum-extrusions. Discover everything you need to know about these versatile components, from their applications to installation tips. Our blog provides valuable insights into optimizing T-slot extrusions for various industrial projects, ensuring you make the most out of this innovative aluminum solution.​​​