post-op / seroma question

• Puppy

post-op / seroma question

my 7 year old lab had surgery just over two weeks ago to remove a HUGE, 6 lb, lipoma (tumor) on his back.  as was almost expected he developed many seromas (swelling/fluid pockets under the skin) in the days following his surgery.  the swellings usually came and went within the span of a day if not hours.  however, a week ago he developed a particularly large seroma (at least 4 inch diameter) which has not improved at all over the week.  tomorrow i go to the vet who will remove the stitches and wants to discuss putting a drain in for the swelling.  what i've read on it, the drain doesn't have a great success rate and is best avoided.  does anyone know anything about this?  is his seroma so big that it is unlikely to be reabsorbable on its own?  (my dog is a really big guy, very trim/athletic while still nearly hitting the 100 lb mark)  will removing the stitches somehow make it more likely for the seroma to heal?  how long can i wait to put in the drain?  what risk is there in waiting?  can it become fibrous?  and, mostly, is there ANYTHING i can do to encourage his body to heal this swelling on its own?  anything homeopathic?  i already feed him all stages Canidae and he gets brewers yeast, garlic, echinacea, Glucosamine and chondroitin to boot.  thanks so much! 
    • Gold Top Dog
    a drain usualluy works allmost 100% but the drain has to be a through and through, ie it sticks out the top and the bottom of the seroma so it drains well''hey usuall respomd with a drain and antibiotics...I donl;t know of anything extra that is needed to get  the body to heal because if the dog is normally healthy he will heal fine...I guess you can add or do anything you want but it will heal with proper drainage..Don;t know why you want to use chond/chrond...but can;t hurt...just be patient
    • Gold Top Dog
    For a natural remedy, the homeopathic remedy arnica taken orally as well as the arnica gel topically on the seroma really helped my dog after surgery to reduce a HUGE one!
    • Bronze

However, be careful not to overcrowd the container, as this can cause the oil to evaporate too quickly. However, if you prefer a more subtle scent, you can opt for something like lavender or vanilla. seemylargeroom.com/best-reed-diffuser-for-large-room