stopped up Boxer

• Puppy

stopped up Boxer

So my vet diagnosed my boxed with IBD. She doesn't have the normal diarrhea, she goes the other way and gets stopped up and then sick to her stomach. Any else have a dog like this? It usually happens when she is over excited. I need some guidance on how to keep her going regulatory. She takes a pepcid every morning and a probiotic also. Any good tips or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
    • Bronze

My Pepper (now at the Bridge) had the same problem, although never to the point of getting sick to her stomach.  Pepper's IBD diagnosis was confirmed by colonoscopy and biopsy.  After a couple of months on Prednisone, which did not help, we consulted a TCVM vet, who is a fully licensed vet specializing in alternative holistic treatments such as herbs, acupuncture and diet management.  For Pepper, she recommended slippery elm capsules (available at your local Whole Foods store), some Chinese herbs (dispensed by the vet), and a few acupuncture treatments.  Within 3 days of starting treatment Pepper went into remission.  

It is important that your vet's diagnosis be confirmed, and as I recall the best way to do that is by biopsy - a simple xray or ultrasound may not be enough.  IBD can be tricky to diagnose, especially if the symptoms are atypical, like your dog's and Pepper's.  To find a TCVM vet, you can visit their website here:  http://www.tcvm.com/  .  Good luck!

• Gold Top Dog

I will heartily endorse the TCVM (and if you want to email me, I have another TCVM locator that's on Dr. Xie's Jing Tang herbal site that's a little easier to use).  

Getting that balance right is critical and TCVM is amazingly great to help that.  

Short term??  Try pitted prunes.  Bite one in half and offer it -- they're sweet.  My dogs think they are   a HUGE treat.  My pug takes some TCVM herbs (she's a seizure dog and those herbs control the little seizure activity she has totally) but the herbs can constipate her.  She LIVES for her prunes!!  She gets two a night (that's what works for her) and trust me -- you can't get away with only one!!  SHE loves her prunes LOL