Flea & Tick Season

• Gold Top Dog
    luckily we dont have a problem with heartworm here either.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I don't use anything since I haven't had any problems (knock on wood)!
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: jeano

And I'm not sneaking up on a moose to put Frontline on him! [:D]

Weenie.  [;)]
    • Puppy
    I also have an American Eskimo, but live in Canada.  This year we were advised to go with a chewable heartworm treatment instead of the topical flea/heartworm treatment due to that darned double ruff of fur around the little guy's neck.  Apparently there is now some doubt that the double coated pups are getting full benefit of the topical unless area is shaved - and I believe it.  We adopted our pup in July 2004 - before that we had always had short haired dogs so this was an eye opener.  Me trying to find the neck skin - at bedtime of course - and my husband supposedly having the stuff ready to apply and then not being ready and Eskie wondering what we were doing to him.  Didn't want to consider shaving a spot - figured skin would itch while fur grew back, only to shave again the next month.  We will have to go with a separate flea treatment.  So far though - in Toronto - haven't seen any fleas.  BTY I love the little toy Dakota is playing with - I sometimes lurk on the Eskie specific board to check out Eskie specific health related problems and have seen picture there as well.  I keep thinking it is one of those stuffed animal used for dogs wanting a "private moment".  My Eskie would no doubt send it to its just reward in 10 seconds - for a 23 lbs. dog he has awfully strong teeth and jaws.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I use frontline plus in the warm months, nothing in the winter.

I tried biospot because it was cheap and Zoe had a terrible reaction.  I later heard this happens to many dogs from that product.  When I called the vet because she was sick as soon as I mentioned I had given biospot they said wash it off, it is toxic and should not be on the market. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    When I lived in central FL, I tried Frontline and Advantage.  Neither worked, so I tried out a vial of K9 Advantix, and it was wonderful!
    • Puppy
    I use Frontline plus... Works great for us in Texas, never have a flea problem.
    • Bronze
    Where I live mosquitos are also a factor so we used K9 Avantix last year.  Worked great, no fleas and protection against West Nile Virus.  Wish I could use it.[;)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Frontline plus all the way!  I bring home ticks all the time. And heartguard for the heartworms.  I use frontline most of the year: every month on the dot during the summer then every couple of months for fall and spring, and not at all in the winter.
    • Bronze
    We use Frontline Plus year around
    and Heartguard Plus every 45 days.
    • Gold Top Dog
    This is the WORST I have ever seen fleas. I've had to treat the dogs twice already. Dani had a flea about 5 years ago, and that's all I've seen in many years, until now. Salukis are sensitive to a lot of chemicals and drugs, and the Saluki people say that Frontline is the safest for them, which is what I'm using, not the Plus. It knocked them down the first time, but I've had to treat again. Yuck! And I get my Frontline from Dog.com. Even with shipping, it's cheaper than getting it here locally. Also, for the same reasons above, I use Interceptor for heartworm.
    • Bronze
    I use Bio Spot along with Neem oil. I have been using Bio Spot for about two years now and haven't had any problems.
    • Puppy
    I use K9 Advantix on my Baby J, it seems to be work very effectively.
    • Gold Top Dog
    i live in texas and MAN the fleas are bad. ticks arnt really a problem in our area. ive tried Frontline, dont waste your money. the fleas come back in 2 days. i think ill try K9 advantix next..
    • Gold Top Dog
    We use Frontline Plus.