Best shampoo and conditioner for long haired dogs

• Silver

Best shampoo and conditioner for long haired dogs

As you see by the pictures I've posted, my havachon Max loves the outdoors and the mud. 

I brush him with a slicker and metal comb every day to get out as many mats, sand burs and grass pieces as I can.  But it seems to be almost a losing battle! 

Is there a better shampoo and conditioner to use to remove mats and tangles and also act as a preventative?

Thank you for your help.

• Gold Top Dog

Great question, we have always had short hair dogs.  Now we have Hot Shot and he is long hair.  I brush him every day but his hair is a little course anyway.  I hope there are a lot of suggestions!

• Gold Top Dog

I've used this Wheatgrass conditioner on Indie with great results.  It smells divine too! 

I read on some grooming forums that you can put some conditioner in a spray bottle and mix with water to use to spray down the fur before combing out and it helps alot.  I haven't tried it yet, but they say it makes it easier to comb out without breaking or pulling the fur. 

• Gold Top Dog

I have a cairn terrier, and I use Pet Silk (out of Houston, TX) oatmeal shampoo.  I do not bother with a conditioner.  The shampoo is gentle and smells so good.  I can use it as frequently as needed and it does not irritate his skin. Pet Silk also has conditioners and other kinds of shampoo.  I get it at a kennel and at Petsmart.

• Gold Top Dog

How often are you bathing?

A slicker isn't the best choice for a straight coat. A pin brush would probably work better, for you.