Discussion: Dog's First Night

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Discussion: Dog's First Night

Finding the right furever friend can be quite a process and it doesn't end there. The first day/night that you spend with your dog is always an experience. What was the first day with your dog like? Share your story!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Harley's first day was hectic to say the least. I was at work when I got the call that our adoption papers had gone through. The shelter that we were working with had a 24 hour policy when it came to adoptions. If you didn't come to pick up your dog in that time period, they would be put back in the " pool" of available pets. That being said, we needed to find some way to get down there and get her!  

Excited is an understatement. This was the first time I was adopting a dog that was actually MINE!  Not the family dog, my dog! I quickly called up my fiance and set up plans for him to pick up our baby girl! ( Luckily , he had off that day!)  We already had everything ready for her to come home to. Crate, food, blankets, toys, the whole nine yards!  Now the final piece to the puzzle was finally fitting in!

I came home from work to see my fiance and a bouncing baby "Lila" ready to play! ( We changed her name because she was only 8 weeks old! ) I have never felt such joy in my entire life. The three of us spent hours getting to know each other and helping acquaint Harley with her new home.

That night was a whoooooole different story. Howling, whining, scratching and many bathroom trips. I think I slept a whole 15 minutes  all night!  I was miserable the next day at work. Sleep deprived and cranky, I didn't know if I was going to be able to care for a puppy. When I came home that day, exhausted and frustrated , Harley came to greet me. The pure, innocent happiness in her eyes boosted me to get past my sleep deprivation.

10 months later and I can safely say that it was worth it. :)